Preparation, Books for Sub-I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beyondbethany

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting my Sub-I at my home institution next week and I would like to be as prepared as possible. Any suggestions on good texts to review or have on hand?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the reply. FWIW I did multiple searches and found most of those threads - I was hoping for fresh input rather than 3-5 year old responses. I realize that the big name texts will remain so for years but many of the texts in those responses are several years from last publication at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
The brain remains the same. I still recommend Patten to everyone who will listen. It is very old school, but focuses on diagnosis through neuroanatomy correlates, and is a great way to learn. The MGH handbook is a great pocket reference but is not good for primary reading. If you're looking for a hardcore text, Bradley and Daroff is still the best, in my opinion. Adams and Victor (Ropper) is also very good, but is quite dogmatic if that bothers you.

If you're just doing a Sub-I now, I would read Patten because it is relatively quick reading, and is not overly in-depth for your level of education (as would be Adams and Victor or Bradley and Daroff). I'm not a huge fan of the Pocket Neurology book, but I also didn't grow up with it as I did the MGH handbook. Take a look at both and pick the one that seems most intuitive.

The brain remains the same. I still recommend Patten to everyone who will listen. It is very old school, but focuses on diagnosis through neuroanatomy correlates, and is a great way to learn. The MGH handbook is a great pocket reference but is not good for primary reading. If you're looking for a hardcore text, Bradley and Daroff is still the best, in my opinion. Adams and Victor (Ropper) is also very good, but is quite dogmatic if that bothers you.

If you're just doing a Sub-I now, I would read Patten because it is relatively quick reading, and is not overly in-depth for your level of education (as would be Adams and Victor or Bradley and Daroff). I'm not a huge fan of the Pocket Neurology book, but I also didn't grow up with it as I did the MGH handbook. Take a look at both and pick the one that seems most intuitive.

No love for Blumenfeld?

Sure, throw that one on too. I was just listing a few off the top of my head. B&D is the only one I really dust off anymore.

bump

@typhoonegator: Can you elaborate some more on what you mean by Adams&Victor being dogmatic? Any striking examples that you recall? Wouldn't that also imply that it's not evidence based?
FWIW, I'm a MS4 applying for neuro and I'd like to start reading some foundational texts now while I have time. I do plan on covering Patten too.