Preparing for a Potential Reapplication, wondering what I should do to best prepare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hadv3r

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's not your ECs or MCAT. It's your TMDSAS GPA. TMDSAS medschools love love love high GPAs. Do the calculation to see how many credit (As) to get your cGPA: >3.8, sGPA: >3.7. Do a DIY PB with upper level science courses to get those GPAs up. Take a year or two to do so and keep up with everything else. You'll get love from more TMDSAS schools the next time with the highest possible GPAs. You don't need research for TMDSAS.

During your next reapp, unless you have strong ties to a particular AMCAS school, just apply TMDSAS. Otherwise you are just donating the fees to those schools. If you don't match this cycle, get feedback from the schools and work on their recommendations.

Reactions: 1 users
I understand your point. Let's hope you match, but it's a numbers game. There are 15(?) TMDSAS schools. Your chance of getting an offer increases with more schools that your interview at. Just look at it objectively. 2/15 is 13%. Try to get the highest possible GPAs that you can before the next time you apply. And medschool will still be around. My class has peeps ranging from 20 to 40s.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's your non-clinical community service? You only mention 200 hours in a clinical environment but likely back-office.

You did get some II's (especially one AMCAS that ultimately rejected you) so I don't suspect your writing was an issue. Your interviewing skills/confidence could be. Was the one AMCAS school that interviewed you in a neighboring state?

Reactions: 1 user
My volunteering was actually almost all non-clinical, so no clinical volunteering. So those hours would be non-clinical. That number includes volunteering at a hospital, clinic, humane society, and covid-19 vaccination site.

And the AMCAS school was actually in state as well (I’m sure you can guess but it was TCU). I actually went to TCU for undergrad, so tbh that’s probably a big reason I even got a II.

I know it’s so difficult to gauge actual interview performance, but I actually felt overall well about any TCU interview. Nevertheless, there’s really no way to know.
What did you do while volunteering at the hospital and clinic? Why are you designating it nonclinical? With no designated clinical experiences and very low shadowing numbers it’s not surprising that you haven’t had much success. There is nothing in your application that even whispers “I want to be a doctor”! So the question now is, what have you done since you applied to significantly improve your application for reapplying? ADCOMS will expect significant improvement. I agree with @Mr.Smile12 that your writing probably isn’t the big problem. Of course it’s always a great idea to rewrite essays and personal statements and have people read them. And I don’t mean your parents, siblings, roommates etc. . They know you and are unlikely to tell you if something isn’t good or something is confusing. So go to the writing center or something similar.
Good Luck.

Since AAVMC includes some European vet schools, I presume you got your offer through VMCAS.

This is also something to ask the student services and alumni offices at your school. Will you be able to do clerkship and rotations in the US? When do you have to take the NAVLE and is there time in the schedule to take it in the US?

I agree that maybe you will get more response on the public Vet Med forums.

You metrics are currently good for DO schools if you don't want to do a PB. Did you get interview invites from UNT or Sam Houston State when you applied to TMDSAS? What were the other two TMDSAS schools you interviewed at?

I have received 3 II this cycle, but one resulted in a post-II R (AMCAS) and the other 2 are with TMDSAS
I'm a little confused. You said you had 3 II. One from AMCAS (TCU which you already received a R?), and two from TMDSAS. However, Baylor is AMCAS, and TCOM is the only one under TMDSAS. (EDIT: Sorry when I applied Baylor was AMCAS. I just googled it and realized it joined TMDSAS.)

Regardless, congrats on the Baylor invite since your MCAT is competitive for it. Therefore, I believe you only have TCOM to rank in the TMDSAS match? I suspect you'll likely match there since TCOM knows it has to compete against the MD schools in Texas and so they give out more offers than necessary because it needs to take into account that many will choose to attend the MDs. However, TCOM is a great school (if not Top 10 DO) in the US. If you do get an offer from them, then take it and run! There are many faculty DOs in leadership positions at my school and the hospitals we train at.

But if by happenstance TCOM does not give you an offer, then I must reiterate that TMDSAS MD schools love high GPAs...

Last edited:
I also did a PB, and I recognized how expensive it can be. I did part of my PB at the MD Anderson School of Health Professions where most of the classes I took counted as science GPA. Take a look at the jaw dropping low tuition...

Something to consider if you need to do the PB.

• Love