Preparing for attending life: what records do I need to keep from each job I work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theWUbear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm onboarding with USACS (for a PRN spot nearby my main job) and they are asking me for a few things, among which are prior malpractice certificates of insurance for the last five years and a procedure log procedure log. Should I keep a copy of every malpractice certificate of insurance for every job I get? Will employers be maintaining a procedure log? Should I keep a folder with every contract I've ever had? Anything else that I should keep track of?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow! Great question. I wish I had a good list at the beginning of my career rather than assembling this stuff down the line. Everyone needs a file with all this stuff. Even if you don't change jobs credentialing, recredentialing, getting a new license or DEA or state pharm card if you need it can be nightmares without this.
- A procedure log and an ultrasound log are good ideas. Most places will credential you as a BC/BE EP with these as core privileges which means you are assumed to be able to do them based on your board certification. Most, but certainly not all. Another question is when can you quit tracking this stuff? I'm not sure. Hopefully others have some insight on that.
- All your merit badges. I know they shouldn't be required but often they are. Some places require that you've had them but not maintain them so keep the old ones.
- Keep a copy of all your old Certificates of Insurance (COIs). They want these.
- Keep a list of the hospitals at which you have and have had privileges. The list needs to include the number for the medical staff office as that's who they'll want to talk to. Just type this up and save it. You can move facilities from active to past as needed. For past ones provide a reason for leaving like "Contract changed," "Moved away" or "Finished residency." They will read these as "Was not thrown off staff for criminal activity or incompetence." which is what they really want to know.
- Scan every document you get immediately to a .pdf. It's so much easier to just go pull these out of a file when you need them and attach them to an email. This includes licenses, DEAs, Board Certs and board eligibility letters, etc.
- Have a .pdf copy of your CV and a decent head shot ready to go.
- Vaccinations, titers and TB tests. Everyone forgets about those.
- Malpractice worksheets for cases if you have any.

I'm sure others will think of more.

Reactions: 3 users
Wow! Great question. I wish I had a good list at the beginning of my career rather than assembling this stuff down the line. Everyone needs a file with all this stuff. Even if you don't change jobs credentialing, recredentialing, getting a new license or DEA or state pharm card if you need it can be nightmares without this.
- A procedure log and an ultrasound log are good ideas. Most places will credential you as a BC/BE EP with these as core privileges which means you are assumed to be able to do them based on your board certification. Most, but certainly not all. Another question is when can you quit tracking this stuff? I'm not sure. Hopefully others have some insight on that.
- All your merit badges. I know they shouldn't be required but often they are. Some places require that you've had them but not maintain them so keep the old ones.
- Keep a copy of all your old Certificates of Insurance (COIs). They want these.
- Keep a list of the hospitals at which you have and have had privileges. The list needs to include the number for the medical staff office as that's who they'll want to talk to. Just type this up and save it. You can move facilities from active to past as needed. For past ones provide a reason for leaving like "Contract changed," "Moved away" or "Finished residency." They will read these as "Was not thrown off staff for criminal activity or incompetence." which is what they really want to know.
- Scan every document you get immediately to a .pdf. It's so much easier to just go pull these out of a file when you need them and attach them to an email. This includes licenses, DEAs, Board Certs and board eligibility letters, etc.
- Have a .pdf copy of your CV and a decent head shot ready to go.
- Vaccinations, titers and TB tests. Everyone forgets about those.
- Malpractice worksheets for cases if you have any.

I'm sure others will think of more.

That's a great list from docB.

After collecting all those documents, I suggest you scan them as individual PDFs labelled appropriately. It will be a pain in the ass, but it will save you tremendous amounts of time later....and adding single documents over time is much easier.

This will keep all your documents in one spot (maybe a cloud drive) and efficiently send them to each med staff office as needed.

I so wish I had started this years ago.

HH

Members don't see this ad :)
Great point about the cloud drive. There was no cloud when I started. I had to tap out my applications in morse code on a telegraph. Later when we got email I would send all these documents to myself and save them. It's handy to have access to them when you're away from your computer so you can quickly reply to requests. There's always an additional request for something.

Thank you guys! Yay neurotic record keeping!

Just keep your bank statements, pimpin’

• Wow
I do the same - all in digital format so a quick email attachment sends them.

ACLS/BLS/PALS
DEA Reg
State license
ABEM cert
Prior job COIs
Flu shot documentation

I have a separate digital file for CME which makes it much easier to find. Don't even bother to print certificates - just save as PDF

Also agree with the PDF CV - as a former director, I'd get lots in word format... a PDF just looks better.

FWIW, a copy of passport/driver's license is also good to have in digital format.

I'm sure most people have their preferred platform but if not my suggestion is evernote. I keep literally EVERYTHING from life in there and you can quickly search by any word in the document and it will read the documents and find it. All my contract stuff is in there and it has made this credentialing stuff a lot easier since all the moonlighting things were easy to find. Just my .02. Thanks for the list docB!

Do you guys really keep a procedure log? What info do you have on it? Should I start keeping track of that stuff?