Other OT-Related Information Preparing for OT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cal1992

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions in preparing for OT school. Like any books they found helpful to read ahead of time, or just anything in general. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As an ex occupational therapy student who struggled greatly with academics, I can tell you that you absolutely must be extremely good at 2 things: 1. Time management skills/organization and 2. handling stress. Regardless of the amount of books you read i think establishing yourself with discipline is the most important part to prepare. I was a straight A student who got accepted into OT schools on my first try and when I finally attended I realized I wasn't the smartest person and fell behind quickly(hence why i "withdrew"). You will be extremely stressed if you don't have your sh** together and are not a quick learner. Also, practicals are nerve racking, I suggest you start looking at occupational therapy assessment videos and practice them in front of people(like having someone critique you or grade you) to get used to the anxiety and pressure.

I posted a helpful document in the "What they DON'T tell you in OT school but you need to know" thread, outlining what you should review from prereqs. I found it on Bay Path University's website. Check it out! :)

One piece of advice I have been given to do once accepted to school is to review anatomy/physiology. If you took the courses a long time ago especially it is good to review so you don't get behind in school trying to review that as well as study all your new course work.