Preparing for Vet School in Highschool

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffeeandcats

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a sophomore in high school and want to become a vet tech. I have thought about many careers I want to persue but I think I have my heart set on becoming a vet tech. This summer I helped to rescue 6 stray kittens in my neighborhood that were going to be sent to a shelter and found them a home. I have 3 kitties myself. That's when I knew I wanted to work with animals. I have thought about being a vet but I don't think i'd do well being in charge and a vet tech is what feels right to me. I know they don't make a lot of money but honestly I'd rather to something I enjoy than a higher paying job I have no interest in. As for grades I have been getting straight A's since 7th grade and my current GPA is 3.9. I need some advice on what I should do in high school to prepare for vet school and increase my chances of getting in. One thing I'm not sure about is if I should take a program available at my school to become a certified pharmacy tech. There is a career type school that is seperate from my highschool but they kind of sponser it I guess. My dad works in a pharmacy and wants me to be a pharmacist but I don't want to do that. I know it's not really related to animals but would it be a good idea to do this program (it's free). The reason why is because I know I need a job to pay for vet school because my parents can't afford to pay it all, and pharmacy would maybe help me experience a health career? I don't really know how to explain the school so sorry if it doesn't make sense! My normal school has a veterinary science class that I'm pretty sure i'm going to take. I also am going to start volunteering at an animal shelter soon so that should help me work with animals. I know this is kind of a long post but I need any advice you have for high school to prepare for going to vet school and make the process a bit less stressful. I know it's always best to start thinking about college early so I thought it would be smart to get some advice. :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If this is the case, then what you'd be looking to enter is a vet tech program (RVT/CVT/LVT), not vet school (DVM); the former is generally a 2-year program whereas the latter is a 4-year professional program following a variable length in undergrad. Vet tech programs are fairly common and many community colleges offer reasonably affordable ones that you could certainly look into. That being said, if you could find a nearby animal hospital to potentially shadow techs around at, you can get an idea of what the job is really like on a daily basis and whether or not you would like to spend the time and money pursuing it. Lots of people think that they would like to enter the veterinary profession, be it as a tech or vet, but completely change their minds once they see/experience the reality of the job. Animal experience---such as the volunteer work you stated that you'll be doing at the shelter---is great, but it's also important to make sure that you have an accurate frame of mind and realistic expectations of what it is actually like to work in an actual veterinary environment. Also, do be aware that, although vet techs are basically the "nurses" of the veterinary world, they make nowhere near the salary that human nurses do... if that is important to you (and there really is no shame in admitting that if it is!).

As for the pharmacy tech thing---if you're aiming to become a vet tech, then it really isn't going to do anything for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Good news! You don't need to go to vet school. You will however need to go to a certified program at a college or university for vet tech education!

Oh sorry I just called it vet school because what I want to do has to do with vet science. Also, I see you go so MSU. I live in Michigan so that's my top school to go for a vet tech program :thumbup:

If this is the case, then what you'd be looking to enter is a vet tech program (RVT/CVT/LVT), not vet school (DVM); the former is generally a 2-year program whereas the latter is a 4-year professional program following a variable length in undergrad. Vet tech programs are fairly common and many community colleges offer reasonably affordable ones that you could certainly look into. That being said, if you could find a nearby animal hospital to potentially shadow techs around at, you can get an idea of what the job is really like on a daily basis and whether or not you would like to spend the time and money pursuing it. Lots of people think that they would like to enter the veterinary profession, be it as a tech or vet, but completely change their minds once they see/experience the reality of the job. Animal experience---such as the volunteer work you stated that you'll be doing at the shelter---is great, but it's also important to make sure that you have an accurate frame of mind and realistic expectations of what it is actually like to work in an actual veterinary environment. Also, do be aware that, although vet techs are basically the "nurses" of the veterinary world, they make nowhere near the salary that human nurses do... if that is important to you (and there really is no shame in admitting that if it is!).

As for the pharmacy tech thing---if you're aiming to become a vet tech, then it really isn't going to do anything for you.

The pharmacy thing is more to get a job to pay for college than anything.

The pharmacy thing is more to get a job to pay for college than anything.
Honestly, for a vet tech job the less schooling probably the better (aka the less debt to pay 0ff). You can get an associates degree in veterinary technology in 2 years at many community colleges. Probably the best and quickest route to starting your career.

Reactions: 3 users
I am currently a sophomore in high school and want to become a vet tech. I have thought about many careers I want to persue but I think I have my heart set on becoming a vet tech. This summer I helped to rescue 6 stray kittens in my neighborhood that were going to be sent to a shelter and found them a home. I have 3 kitties myself. That's when I knew I wanted to work with animals. I have thought about being a vet but I don't think i'd do well being in charge and a vet tech is what feels right to me. I know they don't make a lot of money but honestly I'd rather to something I enjoy than a higher paying job I have no interest in. As for grades I have been getting straight A's since 7th grade and my current GPA is 3.9. I need some advice on what I should do in high school to prepare for vet school and increase my chances of getting in. One thing I'm not sure about is if I should take a program available at my school to become a certified pharmacy tech. There is a career type school that is seperate from my highschool but they kind of sponser it I guess. My dad works in a pharmacy and wants me to be a pharmacist but I don't want to do that. I know it's not really related to animals but would it be a good idea to do this program (it's free). The reason why is because I know I need a job to pay for vet school because my parents can't afford to pay it all, and pharmacy would maybe help me experience a health career? I don't really know how to explain the school so sorry if it doesn't make sense! My normal school has a veterinary science class that I'm pretty sure i'm going to take. I also am going to start volunteering at an animal shelter soon so that should help me work with animals. I know this is kind of a long post but I need any advice you have for high school to prepare for going to vet school and make the process a bit less stressful. I know it's always best to start thinking about college early so I thought it would be smart to get some advice. :clap:
I'm a sophomore in high school but my GPA is a 2.4

I'm a sophomore in high school but my GPA is a 2.4

1) Get your GPA up; get decent ACT/SAT scores for scholarships

2) Apply to schools that will give you good scholarships; spend the least amount of money you can.

Looks at title...
Abandon_All_Hope_by_Hjoranna.png

Reactions: 4 users