prereq questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blt317

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,

So I am applying for the fall of 2010 and have been a little confused with some of the optometry school's general biology requirements.

Most schools say something along the lines of general biology or zoology with appropriate labs (4 quarters or 2 semesters).

I graduated as a Biology major and have taken microbiology w/lab, molecular biology w/ lab, experimental biology w/ lab, human anatomy w/ lab, and physiology w/ lab. I know for some schools they require microbiology, anatomy, and physiology as its own separate prerequisite. My question is for schools like scco and berkeley: Do I need to take 1 full year's worth of general biology lab on top of the micro, anatomy, and physio requirement?? Or are my requirements so far good enough to apply?

And for Berkeley, I know they require 1 full year of calculus. If I placed out of a calculus class because of my AP test: Do have to re-take that lower division calculus even though I passed a calculus course higher in the series?

I'd love to hear everyone's feedback thank you so much.

sorry for such a long post

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you HAVE to take general Biology. Some schools recommend Anatomy, Phys, etc. However, all schools REQUIRE general bio. I am also a biology major. Odd that General Bio is NOT a pre-req for your school.

As far as APs go. I know that Berkeley, SUNY, and ICO do accept it...as long as it is in your college transcript. SCCO does not accept APs. I am kinda in the same boat. I only took the AP for one semester of calc, so I would have only been taking Calc 2. However, since SCCO does not accept APs, I will be retaking calc 1 and taking calc 2 later.

I think you are asking if you got AP credit for calc 2, not 1 would you have to retake calc 1. I would definitely talk to berkeley, possible showing them how that AP credit shows in your college transcript. Maybe if you have 8 credits towards it, they won't make you since it would be like calc 1 and calc 2 put together... but it is odd you got credit for calc 2 vs calc 1. Anywho, your best best is to have proof that they accept it before you apply, are accepted, and realize they need you to retake some classes.

i have taken all the required classes to graduate as a biology major sorry for the confusion.

class listings: all lower division biology and several upper division classes such as genetics, biochemistry, molecular biology, cell biology, neurobiology, along with the anatomy, physiology, and microbiology.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have taken all the required classes to graduate as a biology major sorry for the confusion.

class listings: all lower division biology and several upper division classes such as genetics, biochemistry, molecular biology, cell biology, neurobiology, along with the anatomy, physiology, and microbiology.

oh, then I don't understand what you were asking in the first part. As a far as I am understanding... you have met the requirements there. It is just a matter of you double checking with Berkeley about you AP calc and how many units your college gave you for that. :D

thank you so much for your help so far.
my question is do I have to take labs for those classes as well that add up to 4 quarter's worth of units?

and yes, I am going to call all the schools I apply to regarding my AP credit and taking placement tests out of classes.

thanks again

OH I see. No, what that means is 4 units total (including a lab within it). Not 4 units for lecture and 4 for lab. They do that because, for example, my gen bio class was 4 units (and lab was included as a pass/fail). On the other hand, my Anatomy was 2 units lecture/ 2 units lab--and that adds up to 4 units. They just want to let you know which classes they want you to take WITH a lab. If that class is not offerred with a lab, ex: lower division anatomy where it is just a lecture, then you cannot take it.

As far as AP. Many people told me which accept or do not accept APs but I emailed each school to have it as proof for myself should anything come up--so YAY I'm not the only one--better safe than sorry :D