Prereqs enough for MCATs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

micka418

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I was wondering about something regarding the MCATs. I know they were recently changed and I was wondering if the classes I have taken will be enough. I will not ask about any other programs, simply about the classes that I can take at school.

Would my prereqs; the year of biology, the year of inorganic chemistry, the year of organic chemistry, and the year of physics, be enough to take the MCATs, not taking any other training into account? I was suggested to take Biochemistry, AP1, AP2, and a few other biology classes but would those be necessary needed?

Members don't see this ad.

You need biochem (through metabolism). A lot of the A/P you can self-learn, but the courses would help. Micro bio / cell bio / research will also help. It can be done with minimum pre-reqs but you'll have to self-study a lot to cover knowledge gaps. If you're an undergrad, I would suggest completing more than the pre-reqs before prepping. If you're a post-bac, you can do the min. pre-reqs and self-study to save money.

I'd recommend Biochem for sure. In my exam, Biochem was more than half of both CP and B/BC and I felt half the reason why I did so well on those sections was due to taking both Biochem 1 and 2 w/ labs. I would only recommend Biochem 1 though, as Biochem 2 goes pretty in-depth on stuff not tested.

I'd recommend Biochem for sure. In my exam, Biochem was more than half of both CP and B/BC and I felt half the reason why I did so well on those sections was due to taking both Biochem 1 and 2 w/ labs. I would only recommend Biochem 1 though, as Biochem 2 goes pretty in-depth on stuff not tested.
Mine was the same and I did not take Biochem before the test, hence why I am retaking this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Much like what everyone else said, I would say biochem is a requirement at this point. I personally also felt like my year of A&P was extremely beneficial. The intro bio course (at my school at least) doesn't go anywhere near as much in depth as is required, IMO. Genetics couldn't hurt either but it all depends on how much time you have.

Would my prereqs; the year of biology, the year of inorganic chemistry, the year of organic chemistry, and the year of physics, be enough to take the MCATs, not taking any other training into account? I was suggested to take Biochemistry, AP1, AP2, and a few other biology classes but would those be necessary needed?

You need biochemistry - do not take the MCAT without having taken biochemistry. You want to take the MCAT when you're best prepared to do well and after taking biochemistry is the time. A/P would definitely help a lot but it's not required because a lot of that stuff you can self-teach.