Prerequisites for Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PellsBells93

OSU College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2020!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone knows. When a school requires Biology with Lab. My biology is in AP credit from high school on my transcript and technically we did labs. But does this AP credit satisfy when schools specify Biology with Lab and other courses that specify with Lab.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Wondering if anyone knows. When a school requires Biology with Lab. My biology is in AP credit from high school on my transcript and technically we did labs. But does this AP credit satisfy when schools specify Biology with Lab and other courses that specify with Lab.

Thanks!
Your best bet would be to ask the schools you're applying to directly, if you can't find their policy regarding AP courses on their website. Some schools accept AP credit for any prereqs as long as it's clearly listed on your transcript, while some will accept it for certain courses but not all.

Thanks!

It's different for each school. Some schools say that as long as it's on a transcript with a credited class, that's good enough. Others (I think Cornell is one) have an extensive AP acceptance process.

Members don't see this ad :)
All my schools I want to apply to say they accept AP credit I just wasn't sure about labs. It says Biology 113 and 114 credit but I don't know if those classes had labs since I technically didn't take them lol

All my schools I want to apply to say they accept AP credit I just wasn't sure about labs. It says Biology 113 and 114 credit but I don't know if those classes had labs since I technically didn't take them lol

My transcripts specifically list that I got lab credit for my AP chem and bio classes. So if your transcript says BIO 113 and 114 and neither is a lab, I would imagine that you didn't get lab credit. But my school also kept all lab and lecture courses separate.

My transcripts specifically list that I got lab credit for my AP chem and bio classes. So if your transcript says BIO 113 and 114 and neither is a lab, I would imagine that you didn't get lab credit. But my school also kept all lab and lecture courses separate.

Sometimes the lab and lecture are under the same class.
My credits for bio were all under the same class... but the class I got credit for included lab.

I would find out whether Bio 113 and 114 include labs from people at your school who took the classes.

It says Biology 113 and 114 credit but I don't know if those classes had labs since I technically didn't take them lol
ye8fth

Check the course catalog from your school to see if those classes included labs. You can also contact the schools you're applying to to make sure they'll accept the credits.

Sometimes the lab and lecture are under the same class.
My credits for bio were all under the same class... but the class I got credit for included lab.

I've never understood why universities/colleges don't standardize this sort of thing. It makes it easier on everyone involved to have a standardized system so that this sort of confusion doesn't happen. My undergrad didn't have the lab under the same name so that you didn't have to take the lab at the same time as the lecture if you didn't have time (you could take Bio 101 fall semester and Bio 101 lab spring semester if you needed to take Chem I fall semester, but it was during Bio 101 lab). It made making a schedule a lot easier.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay thank you everyone for the advice

Just to tag this on there, some schools are really good about this kind of kerfuffle. I had the same deal where my Intro Bio course was waived for AP credit but it didn't mention a lab on there (because it was AP). I just called the schools and they were like "Intro Bio lab? Yeah that's fine, you got a bio degree, we don't really care about intro bio lab". So you could always just ask the schools you're applying to to make sure.

I've never understood why universities/colleges don't standardize this sort of thing. It makes it easier on everyone involved to have a standardized system so that this sort of confusion doesn't happen. My undergrad didn't have the lab under the same name so that you didn't have to take the lab at the same time as the lecture if you didn't have time (you could take Bio 101 fall semester and Bio 101 lab spring semester if you needed to take Chem I fall semester, but it was during Bio 101 lab). It made making a schedule a lot easier.

Funny thing though about standardizing them is my school just switched the bio labs to separate courses this past semester--maybe an attempt at standardizing how they do things? However, they screwed up when they did it and made it so the online registration system didn't read the prerequisite of everyone who had taken it previously (since ours were now "different"). They had to do a ton of overrides because the bio students couldn't get into any of the courses they needed.

That reminds me... I might have to check and make sure vet school is going to see my course as having a lab. *sigh*