prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dubbs

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a question about prerequisites: does taking prereqs at a community college (following completion of an unrelated B.A. from a 4 year university) hurt chances of admittance to a DO school?

Members don't see this ad.

If that is the case, you must prove your scientific ability by getting A's at a community college in science courses and doing (must do) very well on the science portions of your MCAT. I believe it doesn't exactly hurt you, but doesn't let you prove yourself the way taking undergrad courses at a reputable school.

If possible take some upper level science at a four year school just to show you got skills!

Sometimese medical have a bias by believe that taking science classes from community college is a way to get easy out. Personally, I don't agree to it. However, in order to prove that you are capability, I am 100% agree with njdevil. Just be prepare to response with those question.

Good luck

I took basic Biology at a community college and Organic Chemistry at a 4-year school. I was never asked about it in interviews and was accepted this year. I think it is o.k. to do a mix of courses with the "tougher" ones taken at a 4-year school to show it doesn't matter.