Presentation for the homeless

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amar314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I volunteer at a homeless clinic and have the opportunity of presenting a topic that could potentially be helpful to the patients. In your opinion, what would be something I could speak about that could really benefit them? I thought about something along positive thinking...etc since I really believe they would get use from it instead of the typical talks about disease prevention (this will likely be another topic though because it's still important). Any ideas? I really want the topic to resonate with them.

Thank you all for the feedback :)

Members don't see this ad.

Personal hygiene? Many people don't know certain practices we consider fairly straightforward (it doesn't have to be as simple as "hey brush your teeth", you can go fairly in depth with this topic).

It would depend on what's available in your area, but how about a presentation highlighting local resources available for people in their situation and how to connect with those programs? Programs such as job training, job placement, free clinics, counseling, etc... I would cover general ones as well as programs targeting more specific populations such as veterans and single mothers/expecting mothers. I have heard that often people don't even know the existence of programs that could assist them so have no idea to seek them out. Just a thought.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not all homeless people live on the street. I have seen some in the hospital ... needless to say they were always hesitant to leave it.

Some of them even have cars.

Not sure how useful personal hygiene would be...I think most homeless people (at least those who aren't mentally ill) would keep clean if they could, but it's tough to shower if you don't actually have access to a shower, you know?

Maybe eating healthy on a budget? It's really tough to find healthy food for a couple bucks they manage to panhandle or earn from odd jobs. There's a lot of research that people struggling with poverty/food insecurity are more likely to be overweight or obese because unhealthy food, like McDonald's, tends to far cheaper per calorie than unhealthy food like fresh fruits and vegetables. You could talk about affordable, filling, and healthy options for food that doesn't need to be cooked, farmers' markets or community gardens that take food stamps, etc.
It isn't so much taking a shower, but other personal hygiene acts which go much further. Brushing ones teeth, for instance (gingivitis and other ailments can for instance be particularly devastating)

Going along with your positive thinking idea, perhaps you could lead a guided meditation. I've seen this done with previously homeless women transitioning into permanent housing, and our group seemed to enjoy it. You don't know if they'll continue to do this on their own, but at least it's something relaxing in the moment.

Reactions: 1 user
I think talking about nutrition and dietary habits could be health related but when talking about hygiene, diet, poverty, etc it starts to make the audience feel like they are being targeted. I would recommend giving a talk about personal goals and confidence building. Something about individual growth that can relate to anyone and help the audience at the same time.

You can maybe talk about the foster care system and how a high percentage of those who age out of the system end up on the streets?

Thanks so much everyone, I really appreciate all the great suggestions! I'll try to blend a little bit of everything!