Presentations, efficiency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shams al Deen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m halfway through intern year at a competitive program that is known to work residents hard. Following 12 patients, some of them ICU has proven to be very difficult for me and want some tips before PGY-2.

How do I get better at learning patients, at presenting them, and at staying organized.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
One of the most common reasons that I see interns do badly is because they want to memorize the patient and memorize the plan to make the notes later on. I did this as well early on while an Intern myself. I used to write dozens of papers and keep in my pocket.
This did not work for me, and I did not see many other residents that could successfully pull it off.
First, notes should never take a long time to write. There should NEVER be a time where you could use the "I didn't have time" or something along those lines. A brand new note is a 10mins (TOPs) deal, 5mins if its a follow up. The trick is that notes simply puts down whatever you saw in diagnostic imagining/tests and whatever you discussed with the patient's care team. You shouldn't need to take 10mins to describe "Echo today showed depressed EF of 35% and some regional wall abnormalities and as a result cardiology will go ahead with cardiac cath tomorrow to evaluate for ischemic cardiomyopathy. In the meantime continue with ASA and Statin. Will consider starting B blockers when respiratory function improves and BP recovers" that takes 20secs to type down.
How about remembering to present. Well, what I see happening often is that the intern tries to present the chart. Just present the patient. If the patient has been hospitalized for a while, just present the highlights "Patient admitted in Aug of 2017 for acute hemorrhagic stroke secondary to uncontrolled hypertension, she spent multiple weeks in the ICU due to complications and at the wishes of the family, the patient continued to receive aggressive measures. She has been back and forth the ICU for the past 3 years including multiple intra-cranial bleeds, craniectomy, revision, respiratory failure due to pseudomonas pneumonia, pneumothorax due to necrotizing pneumonia, seizures, GI bleed and multiple episodes of septic shock due to complicated UTI associated with chronic foley. Her most recent admission to the ICU is because of cardiac arrest, she is not a candidate for temperature management..." and go to present the pertinent for that day.
Perhaps it is a bit late in the year to be missing stuff, however, you are an intern and this is the time where if you miss something, you have a senior resident and an attending supervising you to point out what you missed. Don't be terrified of missing something because it is normal. Being nervous and afraid just makes things worse as you get performance anxiety. Present in a more relaxed way. Once I outgrew my fear of missing info, I went to rounds with 1 line of info per patient and that line had the BMP/CMP/VItals and fluid in/out information that's all. Everything else was verbal. Half the time I wouldn't even look at my paper, I would say "BMP and CMP are fine except for AKI which is improving compared to yesterday. If attending wanted something I didn't have, we would look it up in the computer at the bedside.

Reactions: 1 users
You should not be expected to follow 12 patients by yourself as an intern.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad :)
You should not be expected to follow 12 patients by yourself as an intern.

Why? At this point, an intern should be able to manage 10+2 pts...it would be different if they were all new pts but the OP said some of those pts were rocks with little going on.

Reactions: 1 user
Why? At this point, an intern should be able to manage 10+2 pts...it would be different if they were all new pts but the OP said some of those pts were rocks with little going on.

Yea I guess if some are truly rocks. But >10 isn’t allowed where I am.

Yea I guess if some are truly rocks. But >10 isn’t allowed where I am.

The extra 2 are icu transfers...but generally not much to do since their course is pretty set and it’s follow up

The 10+2 is within ACGME guidelines, but good that your program doesn’t push the envelope. Hopefully it does give you good graduated autonomy though.

But handling 10 pts on a census midway though intern year doesn’t require a rock star...should be a fairly competent intern that can do that at this point.

Reactions: 1 users
Highly recommend rehearsing your presentations before rounds (i.e. don't just collect the data on a piece of paper; practice how you're actually going to deliver it). It sounds like you've already figured out some things you could work on (using the SOAP format, being able to summarize someone's long hospital stay in a few sentences) and you can practice those things on your own.

Also, is there anyone on your team who can give you real-time feedback? Or with whom you can practice presentations? What would be great would be if your senior resident or fellow could sit down with you sometime during the day and practice a presentation or two with real-time tips. I often do this with struggling med students so it might feel a bit humbling, but could be worth it to hone your skills.

You need to figure out, right away, whether you really are far behind your peers clinically, or whether you're fine and have a huge confidence issue. Both could be big problems for you, and you need to know the honest truth.

if you're in an IM program with 4th year chiefs, you should go talk to one of them immediately. If not, you should probably reach out to a PD or APD and try to get the same feedback. If you're in trouble, getting help now is critical to success.

Reactions: 1 user
The extra 2 are icu transfers...but generally not much to do since their course is pretty set and it’s follow up

The 10+2 is within ACGME guidelines, but good that your program doesn’t push the envelope. Hopefully it does give you good graduated autonomy though.

But handling 10 pts on a census midway though intern year doesn’t require a rock star...should be a fairly competent intern that can do that at this point.

10 is the hard maximum

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.