President of the Medicine Club at my school.

D

deleted586118

Hello everyone,
I am currently the co-president of the Medicine Club at my high school, which is private. The tuition is quite expensive, so you can imagine that a majority of the students come from a medical background! :laugh:.

My dad is an interventional radiologist, and my mom is neurosurgeon. The other co-president's father is a plastic surgeon. Furthermore, we have a member in our group who's father is an ER surgeon at HOAG hospital (one of the most prestigious hospitals in Orange County) and another who's mother is a trauma surgeon as Saddleback Memorial (very very very expensive hospital).

I'm asking you guys what activities you'd reccommend us to do?
We plan on observing surgery at the hospital twice a month, as well as shadowing a large practice of orthopedic surgeons, opthalms, and Gas doctors. We also plan on working with our club sponsor, the school's AP Biology teacher, to engage in research. Furthermore, we will have doctors thru connections come lecture for us. Finally, we will learn anatomy and biology together as a group.

If there are any cool ideas or any suggestions to make our club better I cannot express how much I'd like to hear them!

Thanks,

KRA
9th Grade
Co-President of the Medicine Club.

Members don't see this ad.

Holy crap! 9th grade, that's pretty incredible that you're already so invested in becoming a doctor. You guys should see if one of your parents would be able to come in and share their stories about becoming a doctor for the students who don't have doctors as parents. It would be a great opportunity for some Q&A as well.

Always great to have medical students come talk about what you need to do. Bonus points if they went to your high school.

Having doctors come speak is great but any advice they would have about becoming a doctor is probably going to be out of date with the constantly changing medical admissions process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Organdonor, my high school is one that produces a significant number of doctors, however they mostly become dermatologists, plastic surgeons, sports ortho, etc. My dad was telling me that all these people would talk about is how fast their Lamborghini goes :rolleyes:.
I think as a club we have agreed that having talks and lectures will be a significant attribute. I think we will utilize a format similar to Ted talks: essentially, the doctor will talk about what they do, how they got into their field, what technology is used, common procedures, their favorite part of their job, etc.

Of course, the doctor will talk about how to become a doctor, but I can confidently say that I think our club is more about the world of medicine more so than becoming a MD. You bring up a really good point about the application process, though. The doctor can explain how they think the application process will change in the near future or something similar to that.

Hex,
Q and A is a really good idea. I never thought about that. Thanks!

This thread is SO SUBTLE.

Reactions: 6 users
Well, I was going to respond by bolding the parts in your first post that were pretentious and ostentatious, but I ended up bolding nearly the whole thing, so it was kind of pointless. Try to tone it down a little bit. You could have asked your question without giving your parent's resume, how expensive your high school is, and how prestigious/expensive the hospitals are that your friend's parents work at.

Reactions: 9 users
It was meant to show the epitome of how much potential I believe my club has, not to show off.
Therefore, I asked for some help to make my club better, because the potential energy is there; I need help making it into kinetic energy

Your dad's colleagues own Lamborghinis - this gives your club potential?

I would focus on having your group find the right reason to pursue medicine. Hint, it isn't money.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Try to look at many fields in medicine as well.
Well, I was going to respond by bolding the parts in your first post that were pretentious and ostentatious, but I ended up bolding nearly the whole thing, so it was kind of pointless. Try to tone it down a little bit. You could have asked your question without giving your parent's resume, how expensive your high school is, and how prestigious/expensive the hospitals are that your friend's parents work at.

Much agreed, i got an odd taste while reading this thread, but i will still throw an idea out there.

Try getting some opportunities to shadow all kinds of people in the field, not necessarily doctors. Also, try inviting a firefighter to come in or someone who is part of their med team, they always have great stories and are truly passionate about their work.

Goodluck! Congrats on the position in your club. =)

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I am currently the co-president of the Medicine Club at my high school, which is private. The tuition is quite expensive, so you can imagine that a majority of the students come from a medical background! :laugh:.

My dad is an interventional radiologist, and my mom is neurosurgeon. The other co-president's father is a plastic surgeon. Furthermore, we have a member in our group who's father is an ER surgeon at HOAG hospital (one of the most prestigious hospitals in Orange County) and another who's mother is a trauma surgeon as Saddleback Memorial (very very very expensive hospital).

I'm asking you guys what activities you'd reccommend us to do?
We plan on observing surgery at the hospital twice a month, as well as shadowing a large practice of orthopedic surgeons, opthalms, and Gas doctors. We also plan on working with our club sponsor, the school's AP Biology teacher, to engage in research. Furthermore, we will have doctors thru connections come lecture for us. Finally, we will learn anatomy and biology together as a group.

If there are any cool ideas or any suggestions to make our club better I cannot express how much I'd like to hear them!

Thanks,

KRA
9th Grade
Co-President of the Medicine Club.

Having guest speakers as noted above is always enjoyable; the physicians typically like doing it and the students enjoy listening to the talks. If your prior guests have only talked about "how fast their Lamborghini's" go, I suggest that you seek out resources elsewhere. Perhaps invite some family physicians, psychiatrists, medical geneticists, etc. who perhaps who be less inclined to brag.

Guest speakers are useful to reduce some misconceptions about the field (ie, there is no such thing as an "ER surgeon" - its either an EM Physician [not a surgeon], a trauma surgeon or a general surgeon); they should not spend time talking about admissions to medical school as it changes frequently and most practicing physicians will be out of date.

Also consider inviting non-physicians, but some medical researchers and other non-clinical practitioners, so that your colleagues can see the breadth of what medicine can offer.

Finally, field trips or having a book club sort of event are also worthwhile.

Let it be known that I personally do not want to become a doctor for the income, but rather to save lives. I was considering a ROAD specialty, but I think I have decided on Repro Endo or spinal neurosurgery. Again, my intention is not to show off, and I apologize if you mistook what I was trying to say as bragging. My point is that the vast majority of doctors in my area ARE physicians that do not take call, work a 9-5, and generally, yes, gasconade about their careers.

However, as aforementioned, I am in the process of planning "field trips" to observe surgery in the OR/ER, and I have already booked a couple weekends for us to observe some large practices dealing with ortho, opthalmology, etc etc.

Now, to get back on topic: I really like the idea of inviting some non-physicians, such as paramedics (would be cool to hear how they have to rapidly assist someone in a matter of minutes).
We have already planned to assign research to one person a week so that when we meet Friday in the afternoon he or she can present. I do not think it would be too difficult to have someone speak every time we meet as well. What they are going to talk about.....I'm not too sure.
I think they should bring up 5 things: why they like their job, what they do (procedures, techniques), what technology they use in their job, most stressful part, how much stress they have at times, etc.

Any other suggestions? keep them coming!

Let it be known that I personally do not want to become a doctor for the income, but[...]I think I have decided on [...]spinal neurosurgery.

dfmBO.gif

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
borat-dance3.gif

Attachments

• dUHoicO.gif
    dUHoicO.gif
    492.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited by a moderator:
Another speaker you could consider would be Dr. G. Dick Miller.

I use obscure and huge words all the time and I don't even have a thesaurus

Neither does the other guy. This is why I'm hot

Reactions: 1 user
Wonder how many of those in the club will end up applying and matriculating to med school. :p

Yes. Your post does sound pretentious.. You might want to tone it down a bit or no one will like you in the real world.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
I hate spoiled pretentious little indian kids. And before someone calls me racist, I myself am Indian. In med school now and once I'm done I am going to make sure my kids never talk like the kid that started this thread.

And lol at the fact that this kid already has decided his specialty

Y'all are some Ice Cold Mofos :laugh:

2 more days bro!!!

I'm sweatin'! Have you joined Devil 2 Devil? Lol, ASU has their own social media site for incoming freshman, how BOSS is that? Can it be Friday already?

Btw OP, tbh, I think that's pretty cool that you are getting all these experiences! I wish I could of done them! Just remember to stay humble! Other than that, no hate.

I'm sweatin'! Have you joined Devil 2 Devil? Lol, ASU has their own social media site for incoming freshman, how BOSS is that? Can it be Friday already?

Btw OP, tbh, I think that's pretty cool that you are getting all these experiences! I wish I could of done them! Just remember to stay humble! Other than that, no hate.
I've seen the link. Been too lazy to make a profile lol.

got around to setting one up. sent you a friend request! also created a group for barrett admits.

I'm not sure what the above post has to do with the question at hand but just wanted to clarify that the percentage of Hispanics in California is not 60% but rather 38%. Easily obtained data.