Pressured into management role

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Attending1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Previous manager is leaving and new position is being created that divides managers between prescribers and non prescribers. I’m being pressured into taking the new manager role. I’ve been there the longest and I work in both locations is the reason I’m given. I don’t want to be a manager. I want to turn it down but am afraid of backlash if I do. Any advice on how to handle this with grace?

Members don't see this ad.

Just say no.

What type of backlash are you worried about? Is this something you've actually seen happen before or just theoretical?

My experience has been that people being nervous about turning down promotions they don't want is almost entirely rooted in the way we are conditoned as med students and residents to be afraid of our superiors when you are not yet independent in your career and reliant in their good graces to become independent. Once you're an attending these fears are almost never reality based, and even when they are, STILL not worth taking a job you know you'll hate.

Politely tell them you arent interested in the position. You don't need to provide any more details than that.

Reactions: 8 users
Don't take these kinds of positions unless you want them. If you state your preferences the correct way, i think saying no to things can actually make you more desirable in a way.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't take these kinds of positions unless you want them. If you state your preferences the correct way, i think saying no to things can actually make you more desirable in a way.
Can you say more about stating preferences the correct way

Keep in mind that if a key leader has left your employer is probably pretty invested in keeping you/others from doing the same. When several key people leave it can start a spiral of worsening conditions and more people wanting to leave. If you turn down the "promotion" they may not love it but will very likely live with it. The main risk of turning it down is that they will eventually find you a new boss/manager and you may not like them.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you give a lot more details about why you don't want the job? I agree with the psychodynamics usually at play for most people regarding these sort of decisions, but I would like to hear the OP's specifics to better tailor a response. I think probably the worst outcome from you saying no is that you end up with a horrible new boss.

Can you give a lot more details about why you don't want the job? I agree with the psychodynamics usually at play for most people regarding these sort of decisions, but I would like to hear the OP's specifics to better tailor a response. I think probably the worst outcome from you saying no is that you end up with a horrible new boss.
I’ve never been interested in being a manager. I like being a clinician. I hate attending meetings. The last two people in management who I respected left the organization a few years after taking a management position because they were fed up with dealing with crap from the top. If I take this position and hate it there’s no easy way out of it.

Reactions: 1 users
You can leave it to failed negotiations. Just ask for terms they will never agree to and then you can reasonably not accept the leadership role.

I would work on developing a good reason to decline. A common reason is that you produce many RVU’s and want to continue to reach high bonus numbers. A manager role will reduce your productivity too much as you like to “excel in everything you take on”.

This is a common decline in production and sales jobs. Many in sales earn good commission. If they are really good, their bonuses can be outrageous. Many will decline promotions because time is spent managing and not selling. If you are good, a promotion to manager is a reduction in pay.

Reactions: 2 users
It may be interesting. You get more of an inside scoop on operations, how the sausage is made so to speak. You get to have a hand in program building potentially.

But you're middle management which sucks. **** rolls uphill and downhill to you. And you may be more of a figurehead to fill a required role for various licensing/certifications rather than have any true power to make changes.

I've been the medical director for our hospital group out of a sense of obligation over the last 4 years, primarily because no one else in the hospital group has been willing to do it. But I don't find it enjoyable. It is more stress. The only saving grace was I did negotiate a relatively beneficial admin rate so my take home pay is up nicely. But even with that, looking back on the headaches over the last 4 years, it's hard to say it's been worth it for me.

It's definitely not for everybody and if you don't want the job don't take it. Personally I would avoid using reduced compensation as the reason, or make compensation demands for the job that can never been met. I'd worry this would just give a bad impression to your admin.

I think it's fair to say you just don't have a knack for leadership, it's never interested you, and you are a much better fit for direct patient care. Just saying "I'm not a leader" will probably make sense to them, because that's what they consider themselves. They look in the mirror and see a leader not an administrator.

It may be interesting. You get more of an inside scoop on operations, how the sausage is made so to speak. You get to have a hand in program building potentially.

But you're middle management which sucks. **** rolls uphill and downhill to you. And you may be more of a figurehead to fill a required role for various licensing/certifications rather than have any true power to make changes.

I've been the medical director for our hospital group out of a sense of obligation over the last 4 years, primarily because no one else in the hospital group has been willing to do it. But I don't find it enjoyable. It is more stress. The only saving grace was I did negotiate a relatively beneficial admin rate so my take home pay is up nicely. But even with that, looking back on the headaches over the last 4 years, it's hard to say it's been worth it for me.

It's definitely not for everybody and if you don't want the job don't take it. Personally I would avoid using reduced compensation as the reason, or make compensation demands for the job that can never been met. I'd worry this would just give a bad impression to your admin.

I think it's fair to say you just don't have a knack for leadership, it's never interested you, and you are a much better fit for direct patient care. Just saying "I'm not a leader" will probably make sense to them, because that's what they consider themselves. They look in the mirror and see a leader not an administrator.
Thanks. I do have some curiosity about what the role would actually be like. In the end, I’m not sure exploring that curiousity is worth taking on a role that I can’t easily get rid of if I hate it. My priority is really my family and being present for them. My job right now is conducive to that and I would like to keep it that way if I can.

Thanks. I do have some curiosity about what the role would actually be like. In the end, I’m not sure exploring that curiousity is worth taking on a role that I can’t easily get rid of if I hate it. My priority is really my family and being present for them. My job right now is conducive to that and I would like to keep it that way if I can.
Not sure what your org is like but people in my org can voluntarily relinquish administrative positions when they're tired of them. I don't see why you couldn't say that you are not going to be manager anymore if you don't like it.

FWIW I took on a similar role last year and I personally have enjoyed being involved with process optimization, data analysis, and supporting/coaching my team. I feel like I have actual say in many day to day decisions and get to represent the interests of my team with higher management. Having the 0.2 admin FTE has helped break up what would otherwise feel like quite a grind as a 1.0 clinical FTE. The person who was in my role before me relinquished the position and was actually somewhat grooming me to take over since she realized she was feeling increasingly burnt out with the role. I think my temperament is more suited to this kind of thing because I care but I don't care THAT MUCH about seeing certain specific outcomes.

They look in the mirror and see a leader not an administrator.
I think this is so funny and cringe whenever people say "upper leadership" or call us the "leadership" team. Yeah, the goal for many could be to be a "leader" but that's something that's earned as a result of one's actions and influence over time, not as an automatic result of an administrative title.

Reactions: 8 users
I can definitely see it being hard to relinquish some admin roles. I do think part of your responsibility as a manager is coming up with a continuity of care plan and preparing your successor. If there isn't already one waiting in the wings...it can be destabilizing and you feel like you're letting your team down. Of course, you're also letting them down by not taking the job to begin with, so that might not be a problem.

Not sure what your org is like but people in my org can voluntarily relinquish administrative positions when they're tired of them. I don't see why you couldn't say that you are not going to be manager anymore if you don't like it.

FWIW I took on a similar role last year and I personally have enjoyed being involved with process optimization, data analysis, and supporting/coaching my team. I feel like I have actual say in many day to day decisions and get to represent the interests of my team with higher management. Having the 0.2 admin FTE has helped break up what would otherwise feel like quite a grind as a 1.0 clinical FTE. The person who was in my role before me relinquished the position and was actually somewhat grooming me to take over since she realized she was feeling increasingly burnt out with the role. I think my temperament is more suited to this kind of thing because I care but I don't care THAT MUCH about seeing certain specific outcomes.

I think this is so funny and cringe whenever people say "upper leadership" or call us the "leadership" team. Yeah, the goal for many could be to be a "leader" but that's something that's earned as a result of one's actions and influence over time, not as an automatic result of an administrative title.
I can see it being more attractive if you’re full time but I’m part time so it would be adding fte for me

Just for reference, five years ago when I took on medical director role for our group I got $200/hour and 40 hours per month. The dept was pretty big, adult/child inpatient, residential CD, small outpatient clinic.