prestige of DPT program--does it really matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leanbeansupreme

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I was fortunate to get admitted to 2 out of the 3 PT programs I applied to this past cycle--particularly fortunate since my undergraduate GPA tanked for a few semesters--but I was able to bring it up my past 60 credit hours. Currently I am between the University of Utah (my top choice coming into the cycle) and Governors State University. I was pulled of the alternate list today for The U--and this has made the entire selection of a graduate program exponentially more daunting. I thought that this would be a dream come true, but now faced with the prospect of moving across the country/organizing a life in a new city/leaving friends and family behind is a tough pill to swallow. I guess the main factor that is still making me question my choice is that the U seems to have a lot more opportunities in neurological PT/pediatric PT than Governors State--not to mention that it seems a bit more prestigious than Governors State. The difference in tuition/cost of living would be ~$20-30K, which is significant but not tremendously so. I guess my questions are:
1. Does prestige of a graduate program really matter when coming down to getting a job? (for example, I envision myself working at a rehabilitation hospital and I want to be sure that my resume stands out amongst other applicants)
2. Should cost be the only factor to consider when choosing a program?
3. For those of you also moving across the country, what have you done to mentally prepare yourself to make this choice?
4. Am I being ridiculously silly by even asking these questions?/Should I stick to the program that I am already enrolled in and will be starting in May (Governors State)?

Members don't see this ad.

Double post
Heh. I am trying to reach far+wide for a response--from both people that have just applied to PT programs (hence the post in the Pre-PT forum) and people that are in PT programs now. Just trying to be thorough...

Members don't see this ad :)