Pretty low step 1 and p/f grading. Help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quizlet04

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Step 1 was a 214. My school is apparently true pass/fail, though the story has changed so many times I'm not sure. I have one serious leadership position, a few volunteer and clinic positions, a PhD and 2x published papers. Oh, and honors at my school requires 80th percentile on the NBME shelfs. Whee.

I know to apply broadly but I want to stay on the east coast from Maine to no farther down than Duke (fat chance, I know) and no farther west than Pennsylvania.

Is there hope? :(

Members don't see this ad.

Around 36 according to a map I saw from 2011. Not sure how many are realistic, though. Yale and Harvard are out for example.

In 2014, 49 US seniors with a Step 1 score between 211 and 220 applied to neurology. Forty eight matched! Also, ranking 10 neurology programs was correlated with almost a 100% match rate.

Neurology is getting a bit more competitive, but you have enough things going for you that you will be 100% fine, as long as you interview like a normal human being. Just apply broadly to calm your nerves!

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf