Preventive medicine residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GATO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG who just passed Step 1 living in San Diego as a researcher. interested in going to preventive medicine. I sent an e-mail to one program in San Diego to get contact information of the residents and graduates. No reply yet. In this forum, no subcategory about preventive medicine. So I put my questions here.
1. The program says that at least one full-year of acceptable clinical training (internship) is necessary to enter it. Any kind of one-year residency is fine? I guess they prefer IM.
2. The program is competitive to enter?
3. How is the life in the residency? After two year residency, they get real jobs or need further fellowships?
4. After the residency, where do they work? enough jobs? How is their life style? How much is the range of salary?

I appreciate your replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, look on FRIEDA as I know that there are some preventitive med residency programs listed on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Preventive medicine residency is after at least one year qualified clinical training. The residency salary is not good compared to other residency.
Can the residents moonlight? Moonlight of preventive medicine or previously trained medicine like internal medicine?

I appreciate your information.

The residency salary is not good compared to other residency.
Can the residents moonlight? Moonlight of preventive medicine or previously trained medicine like internal medicine?

All residency programs at any given hospital get paid the same - e.g. a PGY-1 in Peds will make the same salary as a PGY-1 in General Surgery. It's possible you were looking up programs that just didn't pay much for any of the residents (usually, salaries will be slightly higher in parts of the country with higher living costs).

Whether or not you're allowed to moonlight is up to your specific residency program. At a bare minimum, you'll need your state full medical license and DEA number, which means at least one year of residency (possibly two if you're an IMG).

Dr. Blade28,

I checked the preventive medicine program using FREIDA. The salary is different. Their website says $39,000. The program in Freida says about $43,400. I guess $39,000 (stipend) for master students (MPH) or the site is not updated.
They says the applicants require 1-year GME. What is GME? I guess general medicine experience. That includes internal medicine or family practice medicine?

I appreciate your information.

I don't really understand your last post.

The salary will be whatever the website says - FREIDA is not always up-to-date.

And whatever a PGY-1 makes in Preventive Medicine, that's the same that a PGY-1 at the same residency program makes in Peds, Psych, etc.