Primary application without MCAT or wait to get scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deanis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this question has been asked before, bu tI haven't seen a single answer. My understanding so far is that if I apply early (beginning of June), without my MCAT score (I sit July 18th), then my primary application...

1) ... will be verified by AMCAS
2) ... will not be used to screen for a secondary application for most schools
3) ... will still be used by schools once my MCAT score is in

So if a school passes by my appication because the MCAT score is not attached, will they look at it once the score is in, or do they only look over a primary once (and that's it)?

Also, does anyone know about the schools that are using the LOE option on AMCAS? I wasn't expecting to have to get my application ready so early (I'm Canadian and our application deadlines are typically end of October and no Canadian school uses rolling admissions) so to get good reference letters in such a short notice might be difficult depending on how many letters are ideal (I have two or three that would be good despite the time frame - how many letters should I have for AMCAS?)

Any useful comments out there?

Deanis

Members don't see this ad.

Apply early and wait for your scores to come in. At least this way your transcript can get verified. If you wait until your score comes in, then you will be setting yourself back a month essentially. Apply now, then just sit on your score.

The only disadvantage to this is that if you bomb the MCAT, then all the time and money you spent on the application goes to hell. If you are intent on applying no matter what this year, then you should send in your application early.

what if you are a high mcat low gpa applicant? should you wait for that score before submitting since it will be a high point of your application?

what if you are a high mcat low gpa applicant? should you wait for that score before submitting since it will be a high point of your application?

No. Submit your AMCAS as early as possible. Schools do not complete your application until everything else is in, including your MCAT score.