Primary care clinical skills: which Branch will best keep them up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ascultator

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm finishing my FM program next year and want to join the service.

Between Army v Navy v AF, can anyone comment on which branch is most likely to "maintain my clinical skills" (or causes the least deterioration thereof) ?

I'm just thinking, what if after 8 yrs of service I leave for a civilian practice, how much behind clinically will I be compared to my civilian counterparts who've seen all the pathology?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm finishing my FM program next year and want to join the service.

Between Army v Navy v AF, can anyone comment on which branch is most likely to "maintain my clinical skills" (or causes the least deterioration thereof) ?

I'm just thinking, what if after 8 yrs of service I leave for a civilian practice, how much behind clinically will I be compared to my civilian counterparts who've seen all the pathology?

It really depends on you. If you are aggressive and work to stay current in the areas of practice you expect to continue on the outside, you can do that in any service. If you spend 8 years in an operational or administrative role.... you will get rusty.

NavyFP is on target - it is also highly variable depending on where you are assigned - talk to a doc there first.

Members don't see this ad :)
It really depends on you. If you are aggressive and work to stay current in the areas of practice you expect to continue on the outside, you can do that in any service. If you spend 8 years in an operational or administrative role.... you will get rusty.

I am doing operational medicine and clinical medicine. I also take calls in the hospital to maintain my skill. I am rather frustrated that military allows me to receive a fair medical training during residency only to let my skill atrophy during my payback.:confused:

Appreciate clarification here for me -- operational med = admin? is that something I can opt not to do, if I really want a clinical MOS? I hear that once you make it to O-5 or O-6, you're pretty much shoved behind a desk job, that true to an extent?

Appreciate clarification here for me -- operational med = admin? is that something I can opt not to do, if I really want a clinical MOS? I hear that once you make it to O-5 or O-6, you're pretty much shoved behind a desk job, that true to an extent?

No entirely true. I've met many O-5/O-6 who play both active roles in clinical and administive part of medicine. This is largely true for doctors working in Army MEDCENS and I am sure there are lots of O-5/O-6 in operational medicine (command surgeon etc) who do not play significant role in clinical medicine. You will have opportunity to work with your career manager who will help you and achieve your career goals. I suppose if you go into highly specialized field (radiology, hematolog and oncology etc...) you will have greater opporunity to maintain the skill if you choose to...

For Operational Medicine the problem is level of acuity. I am currently in my third operational tour and I really don't see complicated patients often. It is mostly musculoskeletal and minor infections. I have trouble doing OB, no peds, so not going back to a full service FM billet from time to time would cause my skills to completely atrophy.