Princeton vs. UPenn - Premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shindotp

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which is a better school for a premed student?

I heard Princeton is competitive, but boasts a 95% admit rate into medical schools! I know UPenn's med school is top notch, and it's premed is great as well. Which would be the better choice for a premed student in your opinion?

Oh, and I think social scene/quality of life is important as well.

Members don't see this ad.

id go to princeton....isnt tuition free??

and plus, princeton is in the "big 3"...i went to a non big 3 ancient 8, and im always been given alot of crap about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think princeton

since when...?
since i could remember...i think that ALOT of students get free tuition. sorry for misinforming ya. Harvard is moving in this direction as well, there is some type of qualification.

Penn's more fun

Princeton = grade deflation... enjoy :-D

since i could remember...i think that ALOT of students get free tuition. sorry for misinforming ya. Harvard is moving in this direction as well, there is some type of qualification.

Tuition, room and board runs about $45,000 a year...Free tuition is only for students from families that make less than $60k, and this is only for Harvard and Yale.

sorry for the free tuition info yall. that was the info i got from theu.com so they are wrong, or i miss interpreted the video.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I guess people are leaning towards Princeton?

Any good reasons so?

So I guess people are leaning towards Princeton?

Any good reasons so?

Just go to princeton. they put a lot into their undergrad programs. here's a clip from theU, ~2:30 there's a bit about premeds at princeton.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqf3XHDHXQk[/youtube]

I doubt many people would choose to go to penn over princeton. Personally I find Princeton's location and general atmosphere to be highly unattractive, but academically they are obviously amazing. They are also incredibly supportive of their undergrads. They have the largest endowment per student of any school in the world and they have few grad programs that divert attention away from their undergrads. Frankly, very, very few people would ever choose Penn over Princeton, though from what I know of the two schools I might've been one of those.

What major(s) are you leaning toward?

I'd lean towards Princeton unless you need a big city to thrive. But my impression is that it's also tough to maintain a strong GPA at Princeton, but I'm sure medical schools are aware of that fact.

Princeton ranks:
#1 Students happy w/ fin aid
#1 School runs like butter
#2 best library
#2 most beautiful campus
#4 best quality of life
#4 happiest students
#5 most politically active

UPenn wasn't ranked nearly this high in any of these categories

You would probably be happy either way. Good luck!

I'll be double majoring in psychology (I want to be a neurologist) and finance/economics.

Thanks for all the input guys!

I'll be double majoring in psychology (I want to be a neurologist) and finance/economics.

in that case, go to upenn. the business program is second to none, and business is one of those fields where, the school you go to really does make a difference and matter.

in that case, go to upenn. the business program is second to none, and business is one of those fields where, the school you go to really does make a difference and matter.

Wharton's their business school though. I don't think the OP got into Wharton... if he did, the decision would be obvious hehe

For econ though, Princeton seems better.

Wharton's their business school though. I don't think the OP got into Wharton... if he did, the decision would be obvious hehe

For econ though, Princeton seems better.
i was assuming op got into wharton. i know nothing of princetons econ program, so ill take your word on that. isnt finance part of wharton? i hear the new building is amazing. im going to go and visit the campus this upcoming year...walk on locust walk at noon

i was assuming op got into wharton. i know nothing of princetons econ program, so ill take your word on that.

haha.. normally people who get into Wharton don't say they got into Penn. They say they got into Wharton.

You can take classes at wharton and transfer in if you do well your first year.

I got into CAS, which is about the same difficulty to get into as Wharton undergrad. The difference is like 12% acceptance rate vs 15% acceptance rate or so.

I'm not planning on pursuing a financial career, I'm double majoring just to have economic/financial knowledge. So I don't see why it's relevant that "the school you go to really does make a difference and matter."

I got into CAS, which is about the same difficulty to get into as Wharton undergrad.

I'm not planning on pursuing a financial career, I'm double majoring just to have economic/financial knowledge.

Getting into wharton is significantly harder. In any case if you visited princeton and it felt like a place where you could spend 4 years of your life then go there. Personally, I could never spend that much time there though the school itself is extraordinary.

Drogba, what about Princeton don't you like? Have you ever spent a significant amount of time there?

As much as I like Penn, I can't imagine choosing it over Princeton. No matter what people say, the Princeton name opens doors...but even aside from that, it's an incredible place, and I was very happy there.

OP, PM me if you have any questions about my experience. I graduated a few years ago, but I can comment on the grade deflation thing and what the pre-med courses are like.

Just so you know, you can't double major at Princeton, but you can get a certificate in finance or neuroscience in addition to either major. Certificate programs range from being relatively easy to being basically the same thing as a double major with a less impressive title (neuro and finance are both pretty hard I believe, and finance has a limited number of slots I think), so you may want to look in on that.

Princeton is a fantastic undergrad with great research opps in basic research, both in hard and social sciences. The thesis requirement is a defining part of your senior year, so think about whether you have a desire to do that (I'm not sure if Penn requires one, but they may as well). Grade deflation is a concern for many premeds in particular, though it actually doesn't change much for your science GPA since those have always been strictly controlled by those departments, especially molecular biology. But this does have a huge impact on the humanities and social sciences because they used to give a much higher proportion of A's than they now are allowed to do.

Clinical opportunities are limited at Princeton because we don't have a medical school attached. There is a rather boring local hospital a few blocks away but there are plans to move it elsewhere. To get clinical experience, many people have to do more unconventional things during the year (work for the Red Cross, do thesis-related research in health disparities, etc), do stuff over the summer (Princeton has fantastic connections for jobs over summers and both domestic and international opps after graduation which are extremely well funded), or become EMTs in the community. Your opportunities at Penn might be more straight forward.

Fortunately, both are awesome, highly respected schools. People love both schools, so I don't think you can go wrong.

the great thing about princeton is that you are going to get significant research experience, usually in a fairly cool way. And it's not just you doing b**ch work in some lab, it's you knowing your stuff, coming up with your own projects, writing up your own research in a junior paper and a senior thesis. And it's not boring because you choose what you're doing. I did a forensic anthropology study on post-mortem decay. it was awesome.

The thing about clinical experience is true-- most premeds take EMT classes and ride for princeton first aid and rescue squad (PFARS) or west windsor (twin W). There is a hospital very close to campus, i know my roommate interpreted in spanish and chinese there and volunteered in the ER, as well as did research there. She also got a job as a student in the health center on campus. There is also the opportunity that i know some students took of volunteering up at Robert Wood Johnson, which is only a fifteen minute train ride.

If quality of life is important to you, i can't even begin to tell you how amazing the princeton bubble is. It's totally focused on the undergrads, they put all of their money towards undergrad life, research, and educators. You can essentially do whatever you want academically, research-wise, and travel-wise. I went to france and did an archaeologic dig, one of my roommates went to Kenya to study zebras, china to play with the orchestra, spent a summer in china teaching english and traveling, etc. all of this was paid for by the university. The social scene is really fun, there are tons of alternatives to drinking if that's not your scene. I will never forget things like sportsnighter, where i got to play human foosball, do american gladiators on a moonbounce type thing, climb a moobounce mountain, play blind volleyball (wall between the teams so you don't know when the ball is coming), and so forth. The frequent concerts, intense dodgeball tournaments, free food on mccosh walk on dean's date before the concert, black box, the fashion show, the all ivy drag show, the 2$ movies every week, and the club scene make it pretty easy to find somewhere you want to be.

Oh and also, Princeton started the no-loan financial aid thing. For families they deem can't pay for princeton, they give all grants so people aren't stuck with tons of debt. Harvard is now adopting it, but Princeton has had it for close to ten years. The only time you get stuck with debt is if you have a family like mine who refuses to pay even though they can most definitely afford it.

PRINCETON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Penn is the suck. It's probably the least regarded ivy. OK it's not that bad, but Princeton is....Don't even think twice about it: go to Princeton.

PRINCETON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Penn is the suck. It's probably the least regarded ivy. OK it's not that bad, but Princeton is....Don't even think twice about it: go to Princeton.
second that!!! I forgot to mention, i technically went to both schools. I went to princeton undergrad and then did a post-bacc at penn, taking undergrad and graduate level classes. All of my experiences at princeton were much much better and if i had to choose again, there would be no doubt in my mind. PM me if you have specific questions, but there's a reason princeton is ranked #1 for undergrads (not that emphasis should be placed on rankings, i'm just saying there's definitely a reason or 9,000,000 of them).

Ummm...Cornell is the least regarded Ivy, duh! :p

I go to Penn now, and though I like it quite a bit, I'd go to Princeton over it (didn't apply to Pton undergrad). My best friend goes to Princeton and from what I can tell the undergraduate experience there is incredible for a top research university--it melds the best elements of both the national, big name university and small liberal arts colleges.

I'm throwing out my own PRINCETON love. it's an amazing school. the opportunities that you have access to are truly unlimited, in terms of research, classes, extracurriculars.

example: i was an english major but spent my sophomore year doing research in one of the bio labs. because it's primarily undergrads, there aren't many grad students, so professors are always looking for an extra set of hands. and not just to wash glasses, but actually participate in projects.

as an english major writing my thesis on south african literature, i got funding from Princeton to travel to south africa and do research.

as far as clinical experiences go, they're definitely not as good as you would get in a larger city. however, like most things at princeton the opportunities are out there, you just have to make them happen. robert wood is only a 20 minute train ride away. i worked at the student health center and got quite a bit of clinical experience.

PM if you have any questions.

deleted

Last edited:
Only 1 month, 3 weeks, and 6 days left until Princeton reunions! P-rades, sorely-missed college buddies, the Street, Bent Spoon, Halo pub, Wa runs...

And yeah, as much as I try to be fair and admit that I know little about Penn, Princeton rocks and I would choose it again in a heartbeat. In fact, I'm probably going to end up at UChicago which is basically Princeton with more graduate students, unhappier undergrads, and an elevated risk of being shot in a driveby.

Only 1 month, 3 weeks, and 6 days left until Princeton reunions! P-rades, sorely-missed college buddies, the Street, Bent Spoon, Halo pub, Wa runs...
AHHHHH i love that you have a countdown!!!! Do you find, now that you're in the "Real world", that people look at you funny when you call it "the wa"? oh god do i need some bent spoon in my sad deprived little life right now haha. I am so excited for the p-rade, an excuse to wear a beer jacket again, partying at quad with all my '07-ers, CKS (haha just for you tigersoup), and allllllll that orange and black! I love seeing all the little babies dressed all princeton-y, and meeting the parents who would do that to their children haha. And i love seeing the guys who are 90+ years old leading the p-rade in their golf carts drinkin a bud.

Okay sorry this was totally off topic, but when i saw the countdown, i just couldn't help it. There's nothing like this. You just can't understand until you're there. Senior year was my first time there, because i never realized how amazing it really was, but i wish i worked reunions all four years.

TO THE OP: If you do choose Princeton, work reunions!! every year!! you make a ton of money and have soooo much fun!

Ummm...Cornell is the least regarded Ivy, duh! :p

I go to Penn now, and though I like it quite a bit, I'd go to Princeton over it (didn't apply to Pton undergrad). My best friend goes to Princeton and from what I can tell the undergraduate experience there is incredible for a top research university--it melds the best elements of both the national, big name university and small liberal arts colleges.

That's a little gem of denial you Penn folks like to hold onto because you're jealous of how well Cornellians do in med school admissions...it's cool. Plus when you get down to it...Dartmouth? Really? Green is such an ugly color.

Halo >>> Bent Spoon.

And we have Wawa in Philadelphia too, two on campus alone...it originated around here!

And how bitter Cornellians get! So depressing up at SUNY Ithaca.

Drogba, what about Princeton don't you like? Have you ever spent a significant amount of time there?

As much as I like Penn, I can't imagine choosing it over Princeton. No matter what people say, the Princeton name opens doors...but even aside from that, it's an incredible place, and I was very happy there.

OP, PM me if you have any questions about my experience. I graduated a few years ago, but I can comment on the grade deflation thing and what the pre-med courses are like.

Yes I have spent quite a bit of time there, though I do not attend the university. I find the campus to be beautiful but I do not like the town at all. It is completely artificial and has obviously been constructed around the university. The town closes down very early and all social interactions center around the school, though to princeton's credit they attract a lot of interesting events. It is far too claustrophobic for me. I also find the culture of exclusivity to be relatively strong and in your face at Princeton. Like I said earlier in this thread I couldn't imagine anyone picking to go to penn over princeton out of people who applied to both. Princeton is an excellent school with amazing resources. Almost all the students whom I've met are extremely happy with their experience at Princeton. I personally would not be. The Princeton bubble is far too strong and is nearly inescapable. Despite all this the fact that the OP applied to Princeton suggests they like what they saw and I would recommend them to matriculate.

Halo >>> Bent Spoon.

And we have Wawa in Philadelphia too, two on campus alone...it originated around here!

And how bitter Cornellians get! So depressing up at SUNY Ithaca.

There is a Wawa right near Princeton. Many students I met there though the wawa was unique to their area. :laugh:

Yes I have spent quite a bit of time there, though I do not attend the university. I find the campus to be beautiful but I do not like the town at all. It is completely artificial and has obviously been constructed around the university. The town closes down very early and all social interactions center around the school, though to princeton's credit they attract a lot of interesting events. It is far too claustrophobic for me. I also find the culture of exclusivity to be relatively strong and in your face at Princeton. Like I said earlier in this thread I couldn't imagine anyone picking to go to penn over princeton out of people who applied to both. Princeton is an excellent school with amazing resources. Almost all the students whom I've met are extremely happy with their experience at Princeton. I personally would not be. The Princeton bubble is far too strong and is nearly inescapable. Despite all this the fact that the OP applied to Princeton suggests they like what they saw and I would recommend them to matriculate.

QFT...I'm originally from Princeton and your description is spot-on...both in the good and the not so good.

The town closes down very early and all social interactions center around the school, though to princeton's credit they attract a lot of interesting events. .

The town definitely isn't the important part...there's nothing that closes early that students don't mind closing. But the wawa is 24 hours, the U-store convenience store is 24 hours, and hoagie haven is open till like 3am on nights that the clubs are busy. Haha with that and frist being open, there's no reason to venture into the over-priced, hoakie parts of town anyway.

There is a Wawa right near Princeton. Many students I met there though the wawa was unique to their area. :laugh:
No one i ever met thought the wawa was unique to princeton, but there is a culture all its own to the wa at princeton. the wa is where you go when you're stumbling home drunk at 4am, when you're tired of working on your thesis as the library closes at midnight, where you take a study break, where you run into everyone you've ever met, where you watch Kareem dance to 80s music, it's just an institution there.

Anyway about your comment of exclusivity, i think that that is purely an outside perspective. I think anyone who actually goes there can easily find their niche no matter what their interests or personality, there is definitely something for everyone. it's not just the rich preppie white school some people picture it to be. I certainly would not have enjoyed it if it were. But there's so much to it that you can't really understand if you're not there full time...that's why i think it's so great that it is such a princeton bubble, because it forces you to experience it and find where you can be happiest in the princeton community.

No one i ever met thought the wawa was unique to princeton, but there is a culture all its own to the wa at princeton. the wa is where you go when you're stumbling home drunk at 4am, when you're tired of working on your thesis as the library closes at midnight, where you take a study break, where you run into everyone you've ever met, where you watch Kareem dance to 80s music, it's just an institution there.

Save for Kareem, sounds about the same as the two Wawas at Penn! :p

Why would you choose to do pre-med at a school where there is no med school or hospital. Have fun trying to produce any research for your application at Princeton.

And Brown is the worst of the Ivy League just to set things straight.

Why would you choose to do pre-med at a school where there is no med school or hospital. Have fun trying to produce any research for your application at Princeton.

Umm...ok? One of my friends went to Princeton for undergrad and will be going to Harvard-MIT MD/PhD this fall.

Ummmm because it's ALL about the undergrads there, so it makes for a great undergrad experience? Plus, most people who go to penn undergrad claim that they have a hard time getting into penn for med school anyway. Oh and also, EVERYONE at Princeton has PLENTY of research for their application. We have to do research for our junior papers and theses. There is a TON of research going on in every department and it's really easy to get research positions in almost any lab, because since it's all about the undergrads you're not competing wtih med students or grad students trying to get a spot in whatever lab you want. Especially if the OP is into psych, some of the psych experiments and research they do for there theses is AWESOME. They get budgets to pay the undergrads to come in and participate and do some really amazing work. But there is absolutely NO WAY to claim you won't get research at princeton.

The town definitely isn't the important part...there's nothing that closes early that students don't mind closing. But the wawa is 24 hours, the U-store convenience store is 24 hours, and hoagie haven is open till like 3am on nights that the clubs are busy. Haha with that and frist being open, there's no reason to venture into the over-priced, hoakie parts of town anyway.

Thats part of whats unattractive about princeton. There is no town there is only a school.

He is quite the character. I think he knows his status in the community and loves the attention! :laugh:

Anyway about your comment of exclusivity, i think that that is purely an outside perspective. I think anyone who actually goes there can easily find their niche no matter what their interests or personality, there is definitely something for everyone. it's not just the rich preppie white school some people picture it to be. I certainly would not have enjoyed it if it were. But there's so much to it that you can't really understand if you're not there full time...that's why i think it's so great that it is such a princeton bubble, because it forces you to experience it and find where you can be happiest in the princeton community.

Just because you can find a niche doesn't mean the school lacks a particular atmosphere that gives this impression. I never suggested that their is no diversity in the student body. The eating clubs themselves demonstrate the spectrum of student interests and personality. Despite this I do think there is a large preoccupation with social prestige at Princeton among a significant portion of the students and this is readily visible. I'm not suggesting that Penn students are not similarly fixated but it is probably much more dilute there because Penn the Institution is only a fraction of the entire experience of going to Penn.

Have fun trying to graduate Princeton without producing any research. :laugh:

Umm...ok? One of my friends went to Princeton for undergrad and will be going to Harvard-MIT MD/PhD this fall.

Obviously people from Princeton go to Harvard Med School, that's not a surprise. And I'm sure you're friend is really smart and took advantage of a lot of opportunities at Princeton, prob doing research in mol bio or something.

And yes you can do psych research or any other research in some department. But you won't be doing clinical research or neurosurgery research or any ressearch through a hospital unless you travel to some no name hospital in NJ that doesnt do research anyway.

It just seems strange that a student would have the intention of going to med school but wouldn't opt to be next to an unbelievable hospital.

And by the way, I'm biased because I went to Penn and I can't stand Princeton.

PUCK FRINCETON

Save for Kareem, sounds about the same as the two Wawas at Penn! :p

Does Kareem work at the Wa still? I thought he left, but maybe he came back after Wild Oats got shut down.

I have friends at the UMD who are just as excited about their Wawa as I am about mine. There is plenty of unique Pton institutions though, particularly how fanatical we are about reunions.

And definitely don't listen to anyone who says there's not enough research opportunities at Princeton. There are ridiculous amounts of basic and social science-oriented research available with huge amounts of funding both during the school year and over summers. Clinical research though will be hard to get during your time as an undergrad though, as will large mammal-based research. If you like doing experiments on cells, smaller lab species (flies, worms, fish, mice, etc), or healthy college students, you'll be happy as a clam. People can also easily get funding to go to other places, from academic institutions to rural hospitals/clinics in India, in order to do their senior thesis work.

Which is a better school for a premed student?

I heard Princeton is competitive, but boasts a 95% admit rate into medical schools! I know UPenn's med school is top notch, and it's premed is great as well. Which would be the better choice for a premed student in your opinion?

Oh, and I think social scene/quality of life is important as well.

Princeton and U Penn are as competitive although Princeton appears to be more selective than U Penn. As far as premed is concerned, Princeton is a better choice. Undergrad education there is awesome just like at Yale, Dartmouth or Brown. U Penn is more about grad school and Wharton ( Business Undergrad)

The other fact is that indeed Princeton, together with Brown, Harvard, Yale and Dartmouth, have the highest rate of premeds being admitted to med schools according to the Pre med offices. ( Notice that Penn is not in that list )

You would also have to weigh whether you like living in philadelphia vs Princeton - a small New jersey town about two hours and a half from a major city (NY) for your social life..