Prior Fumble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShutUpAndDoIt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I tried a search (or 20) and found the odd half an answer, but haven't been able to nail this one down.

I enrolled at the state U twenty years ago, did maybe a week of class, and walked away without dropping. Pulled the same stunt at a CC the next year and went on about living. When I enrolled last fall at my current state U, I spoke to the admissions councilor about those prior flubs, but she said I'm considered a new freshman because I achieved zero college credits. I'm pulling a 3.8 at the end of my first year and obviously plan to keep it up, but what do those early attempts (and I use that term loosely) mean for me and my cGPA upon graduation and application to med? Obviously I'm hoping for the best, but I get the impression things might not go my way.

Basically, am I screwed?

Members don't see this ad.

Have both schools send you your transcripts and see what's on them first. One step at a time.

Ah, yes. Thank you.

*I came here for the chats, and stayed for the brains*

Members don't see this ad :)
Whatever is on those transcripts has to be submitted with med school apps. If you got F's, you can try to get the schools to consider amending your record, which usually takes lawyers, money and years.

Your 20 year old transcripts will be included in your GPA calculations, so you'll want to keep up that 3.8+ to minimize damage. GPA estimation is easy here: if you had one year of F's, and you have 4 years of 4.0, your cumulative GPA is 3.2. There are boatloads of us nontrads with worse damage who got into med schools. It's important to not use traditional premeds as your yardstick.

Anecdotally, I was asked to provide explanations for W's and F's I received in 1984...when I interviewed at med schools in 2008.

Best of luck to you.

I'll definitely contact them to assess the damage--and keep pushing ahead regardless as I'm not easily deterred. Your response makes me feel better about the yardstick in general. There are many inspiring stories on the boards, but there's also a glut of numbers. Much appreciated.

It should also be noted that if you're looking into DO schools, AACOMAS does grade replacement. Any of those probable "F"s can be replaced when you take them again and ace them. If you're looking to apply MD, then they're all averaged into your GPA. DO is much more forgiving with these kind of mess ups.

Beyond your actual GPA, your situation is easily explained since it's been such a long period of time between these F's and now. It won't take a genius adcom to see you simply grew up and figured out life....just make sure you are able to address it and put a very positive spin on it!

I've been looking at both MD and DO schools, and have no problem going DO if that's where I land academically + ec's. LECOM's PCSP actually sounds like a decent fit when I consider my age, the debt load, and the primary shortage. But I'm getting way ahead of myself. I've got a pretty interesting road behind me and a great attitude about it all. Grade replacement is an even better reason to get those transcripts so I can rectify the mistakes. Thank you~