Prior Service to USUHS vs. Reserves to USUHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryank327

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently I am prior service but I am looking into doing the Marine Reserves during my undergrad to supplement my GI bill income and give an affordable option for health insurance for my family. Before I go to meet with the recruiter I'd like to know if my application to USUHS will be looked at any differently being in the reserves versus being prior service. I would obviously have to switch services at the time and if anywhere I think that is where the complications could arise. Is there any benefit to being reserves versus prior service at all? I would think not.

Any wisdom to share?

Members don't see this ad.

I was Army Reserves, I went to USUHS. Requires getting your commander to sign off to allow you to break out of your contract. Also you risk getting deployed when in college. Not to sure about the health insurance, it was not available for the reserves when I was in, there was a limited dental insurance which had copays and a monthly premium. One of the pro's is that you acquire time in service for the reserve years, that counts towards pay.

Members don't see this ad :)
The benefit is that, if you were accepted, you would be an O-1E over 8 years instead of an O-1E over 4 (assuming you did 4 years with the Corps). So you would get paid more as a med student.

The benefit is that, if you were accepted, you would be an O-1E over 8 years instead of an O-1E over 4 (assuming you did 4 years with the Corps). So you would get paid more as a med student.

You can just as easily get these extra years doing correspondence courses and not have to drill and AT.

The biggest turn off with reserves for me (at least for the Army, I imagine it is similar for Marines/Navy) is that AT is usually scheduled in the summer. It can be a major pain to have to give up your summers in college. Depending on your goals summers can be great to get gigs in a lab gaining research experience or to take extra classes (and continue to draw GI Bill BAH.) I don't think it's worth it in the long run.