Prior to surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iladelphia

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that some/many ophthalmologists take a Beta-blocker prior to operating to eliminate nerves or fine tremor? Also, what's the deal with coffee? I'm slightly addicted but I've heard that many ophthalmologists kick the habit. True?

I'm just genuinely curious. I'd appreciate it if any attendings or current residents could weigh in.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't take a beta-blocker, but I've heard of people who do. I like a cup of coffee a day, but don't drink the day of surgery.

I think it depends on the person. I'm really caffeine-sensitive, so I basically weaned myself completely off of coffee starting in second year. Also, I noticed that I tremored more with stronger coffee (like Starbucks...but Dunkin' Donuts, not so bad).

I've talked to other attendings who are so used to having that caffeine load every day, it doesn't really affect them as far as tremoring and whatnot goes.

If you're nervous...or stressed out...or your case starts going south...or your attending is berating you on your poor suturing skills or cursing you for breaking capsule......your tremor may still come out regardless. :)