Priorities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ropra

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those in or just out of the process of applying to MSTPs...

1. Do you think that research experience and LORs play such a large role that MSTP programs tend to overlook just pretty good grades/MCATs? Especially when it comes to getting interviews.

2. Do you think that ECs play an important role in choosing an MSTP canidate. There must be some programs that emphasize the "well rounded" student.

3. Finally, I have seen a post on this, but was not fully convinced. UG Major: these must be taken into consideration when looking at one's stats, right??

thats all for now. good luck to everyone

Members don't see this ad.

ropra said:

1. Do you think that research experience and LORs play such a large role that MSTP programs tend to overlook just pretty good grades/MCATs? Especially when it comes to getting interviews.

2. Do you think that ECs play an important role in choosing an MSTP canidate. There must be some programs that emphasize the "well rounded" student.

3. Finally, I have seen a post on this, but was not fully convinced. UG Major: these must be taken into consideration when looking at one's stats, right??

thats all for now. good luck to everyone

1. It can. I've learned in the past application cycle that program admissions can differ a lot in terms of their selection criteria. For most of the programs I've looked at, it seems that good research can trump dents in numbers.
2. Definitely. But I would gauge that research and numbers matter more for most MSTPs, so don't sell those two aspects short.
3. I don't think so. I applied as an engineer, but didn't feel like it boosted me significantly. The experience and unique opportunities were well worth the extra pains though.

ropra said:

Definitely. I've gotten the impression that your letters are one of the biggest parts of the application and that they can make an otherwise average applicant one that you really want for your program.

ropra said:

Beyond research - I think it's highly variable from program to program. I felt that there are definitely schools out there that want wellrounded people who have interests beyond research and medicine. Then, there are programs that really could care less.

ropra said:

I doubt it, most people are hard science majors and GPAs at most schools probably aren't highly variable between say chemical engineering, molecular biology, and physics - my guess is that the school you went to probably has as much, or more, to do with this than your major.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mitro said:
I doubt it, most people are hard science majors and GPAs at most schools probably aren't highly variable between say chemical engineering, molecular biology, and physics - my guess is that the school you went to probably has as much, or more, to do with this than your major.

I will have to disagree with this. The GPAs amongst majors from soft sciences (biology etc) to the more hard sciences (physics etc) are completely different within one school. And most people that I have heard from will tend to agree with this.

Nonetheless, not to get stuck on this point. I am most interested in what the MSTP programs are looking for. From my impression, its to get the best potential research scientist. And, I wonder (and am getting this idea from everyone) that it is the LORs and the continuous research efforts that show this.

ropra said:

From my own experience, I got interviews at Stanford and UCLA (among other lesser known schools) with average scores, but great research (4 years), LORs that actually glow in the dark, and pubz(2nd author PNAS, and another PNAS and current opinion in structural biology pub). GPA: 3.55 BioEngineering, MCAT 31 (12 PS, 11BS, 8V).
Reflecting on how hard I worked in lab, I highly recommend you stick to one lab where you can do meaningful and sustained research. If you think your grades are going to suffer at the expense of research, than make sure you get a pub out of it! Once you get your foot in the interview door, you can impress them with your thorough understanding of your research area. Good luck, docahk!

Spot on.

One of my interviewers at one school said he was directly responsible for me getting an interview. My GPA was low (even for "regular" medical school) and MCAT mediocre, but he really liked my research (also 4 full-time years) and invited me for an interview. I received an acceptance letter 3-4 weeks later.

-X

docahk said:
ropra said:
Reflecting on how hard I worked in lab, I highly recommend you stick to one lab where you can do meaningful and sustained research. If you think your grades are going to suffer at the expense of research, than make sure you get a pub out of it! Once you get your foot in the interview door, you can impress them with your thorough understanding of your research area. Good luck, docahk!

From my own experience, I got interviews at Stanford and UCLA (among other lesser known schools) with average scores, but great research (4 years), LORs that actually glow in the dark, and pubz(2nd author PNAS, and another PNAS and current opinion in structural biology pub). GPA: 3.55 BioEngineering, MCAT 31 (12 PS, 11BS, 8V).

Thanks for the info. Anyone else with a similar experience???

In relation to this thread, has anyone experienced some cutoffs in the GPA/MCAT area. Or are the responses in this thread fairly accurate.

xanthines said:
Spot on.

One of my interviewers at one school said he was directly responsible for me getting an interview. My GPA was low (even for "regular" medical school) and MCAT mediocre, but he really liked my research (also 4 full-time years) and invited me for an interview. I received an acceptance letter 3-4 weeks later.

-X