Prioritize Potential for Higher Score or Earlier Application? (2015 MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jouno_53

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently studying for the 2015 MCAT and will be applying DO next year during the 2015 cycle. I am trying to decide whether to take the May or July test.

I have taken all the prerequisite courses and many advanced chemistry courses. (BS in Chemistry, significant extra-curricular work, low science gpa, decent cumulative) However, I withdrew from biochemistry halfway through the semester in order to retake it in summer 2015. I will be done with this class in mid July 2015.

My plan was to study for and take the May 22nd MCAT knowing I will need to fill in the gaps and self-teach most of biochem. PROs: Early application (verification in June), potential for re-take. CONs: Less study time, taken before biochem class.

Is it recommended that I wait until July 18 to take the MCAT instead? PROs: Test after having taken biochem, potential for better score. CONs: Later application (can't verify until after scores come in August).

I need to do everything I can to maximize my acceptance potential which should include applying early. The biochemistry course at my school is split into 1 and 2, with 1 being more structure/function and very few biological pathway mechanisms.

I appreciate the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

What about the option of taking a year off? Early apps are a huge benefit, but I really wouldn't take the MCAT until you've finished the necessary coursework (and biochem will be very necessary).

What about the option of taking a year off? Early apps are a huge benefit, but I really wouldn't take the MCAT until you've finished the necessary coursework (and biochem will be very necessary).

Thank you for the reply. I will already be taking a year off as I will be graduating next summer after I take biochem. At this point, a SMP is seeming like the best option.

Agree with above. Don't take the exam until you have taken all of the prereqs. A gap year or two is not going to kill your app.

There is also the option of submitting your app early to get it in the system and verified, but pending your MCAT score. The DO cycle is longer than MD, so being fully submitted (primary and secondary) in June with your MCAT in August will still be considered early enough to give you a fair shot at landing a few IIs if you apply broadly. Also, keep in mind that many people will be waiting for their MCAT score that are writing the new version so you will not be the only one in that boat.

Retake all classes that are a C or below before you do a SMP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep - good advice has been given.
A gap year will actually improve your application if you spend your time wisely, and it will give you time before med school to explore your interests (time you may not have during or after school).
The MCAT is a test you want to take once, and only once. You won't have a good shot at the schools you want to go to without a competitive score no matter how early your application is in. Spend the time you need to to study for the test with the mentality that you'll be taking it one time. Case closed.

Good luck!

Yep - good advice has been given.
A gap year will actually improve your application if you spend your time wisely, and it will give you time before med school to explore your interests (time you may not have during or after school).
The MCAT is a test you want to take once, and only once. You won't have a good shot at the schools you want to go to without a competitive score no matter how early your application is in. Spend the time you need to to study for the test with the mentality that you'll be taking it one time. Case closed.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone. I'll be doing a gap year already since I am graduating in 2015. I will take the MCAT after biochem, however this later MCAT will prevent me from applying to most SMPs this cycle. I'm weighing delaying an SMP til 2016 or doing a 2 year GRE only SMP like at Case.

Happy Holidays!