Private dental schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

asalazar

I've been a member of SDN for over a year now and I've read many times that applicants should consider applying to out of state private schools. Why is that? Are they easier compared to others to get into? Which schools are those?

Members don't see this ad.

we should apply to out of state private schools because not everyone is lucky enough to live in NY where they have a ton of state schools :(

i'm from MA, so i basically have to apply to out of state private schools, or try my luck at those out-of-state state schools

Public schools receive funding from the state so they have an incentive to accept only in-state applicants. Private schools do not get funding from the state so they are just as likely to accept out of state applicants as instate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeyyy said:
we should apply to out of state private schools because not everyone is lucky enough to live in NY where they have a ton of state schools :(

i'm from MA, so i basically have to apply to out of state private schools, or try my luck at those out-of-state state schools

I thought UCONN was instate for NE residents...

http://sdm.uchc.edu/predoctoral/index.shtml

Some schools have agreements to accept a certain number of students from other states (typically states w/ no dental school might have an agreement with a dental school reserving a few spots and the state pays the difference so that you pay in-state tuition). That is how IDEP works at least (idaho-->creighton).

To answer your question, private schools aren't easier to get into...of course I'd need to see the schools you are comparing to give you a fair response. Some private schools are in fact harder to get into than state schools. I know you go to UF so I used to believe UF was harder to get into than Nova, but all that has changed after this cycle. Nova has bumped their requirements up...a lot! Good luck!

Private schools are at large easier to get into. Schools like Nova are good backups.

Yeyyy said:

buffalo and stony=2
2=ton???? :eek: :eek:

asalazar said:
Are they easier compared to others to get into? Which schools are those?

consult predents.com for these questions.

I was under the impression Nova was a good back up until I heard about people getting denied from Nova, and into UF. The admissions process is full of randomness so I think the best bet is to apply to a lot.

UConn sucks as a state school for MA because i think they accept like 10 students from NE :( plus it's preeeeetty hard to get in to, mr. HSDM :rolleyes:

fightingspirit said:
buffalo and stony=2
2=ton???? :eek: :eek:

Two is not a lot, but considering many states don't have a dental school that does represent two more lovely instate options for those applicants.

Sprgrover said:
Two is not a lot, but considering many states don't have a dental school that does represent two more lovely instate options for those applicants.

true.....california, which is way larger than new york has the same number of d-schools...i guess it's a matter of population

i think public schools are harder to get into because when people get in there they usually go there becuase it is so much cheaper then the private schools. atleast thats the case with california.

xylashellx said:
i think public schools are harder to get into because when people get in there they usually go there becuase it is so much cheaper then the private schools. atleast thats the case with california.

come on man, in california, it's not just about affordability. UCSF and UCLA are world class univerisites, not just public.

fightingspirit said:
come on man, in california, it's not just about affordability. UCSF and UCLA are world class univerisites, not just public.

yes ofcourse i know that. but paying 25k a year makes a big difference to alot of people then 60-90k a year. OFCOURSE its not the only reason.