Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

private practice heme/onc

Discussion in 'Hematology / Oncology' started by happygolucky1, 02.24.12.

1. happygolucky1

happygolucky1

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Is it practical to do benign heme/oncolog/and malignant heme in the outpatient PP world? Or is it more of a benign heme (consults) + either onc or heme?

Also, if one chooses to do onc, is it common to do just thoracic/HEENT or do the PP do all the fields of onc?

Thanks!
  2. asprin81

asprin81

Fellow [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Private Practice now have 2 types, 1) group practice (group which can be single speciality or multispeciality usually 80% onc 20% heme, some big group can divide specialities based on intrest like one see only ent other lung) or Hospital based (which can be a cancer centers, where oncologist divide specialities among themself, like one do lung/breast other do GI, or community hospital where you see every things with 80% onc 20% heme.

PP you can see lymphoma, myeloma, but leukemia usually you send to big center/academic place
  3. texashemonc

texashemonc

Attending Physician
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    In PP you see everything and treat anything. The only patients I send to the tertiary medical centers are acute leukemia patients, sarcomas, definitive liver and pancreatic surgeries, and obviously, those patients who want 2nd opinions. I have plenty of lymphoma and myeloma patients in my practice. I do try to steer sickle cell patients away from my practice.
  4. Brachyury

Brachyury

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  5. Oncology08

Oncology08

SDN 2+ Year Member
    What is the difference between group practice and hospital based practice in regard to Salary, work load, etc?

Is there a job out there where you can have the luxuary of private practice (regarding salary) and the opportunity to teach????? how to find such groups. I honestly feel that recruiters are big scam at times and I do not feel comfortable going through them. Any advice?

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal