private practice heme/onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happygolucky1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it practical to do benign heme/oncolog/and malignant heme in the outpatient PP world? Or is it more of a benign heme (consults) + either onc or heme?

Also, if one chooses to do onc, is it common to do just thoracic/HEENT or do the PP do all the fields of onc?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Is it practical to do benign heme/oncolog/and malignant heme in the outpatient PP world? Or is it more of a benign heme (consults) + either onc or heme?

Also, if one chooses to do onc, is it common to do just thoracic/HEENT or do the PP do all the fields of onc?

Thanks!

Private Practice now have 2 types, 1) group practice (group which can be single speciality or multispeciality usually 80% onc 20% heme, some big group can divide specialities based on intrest like one see only ent other lung) or Hospital based (which can be a cancer centers, where oncologist divide specialities among themself, like one do lung/breast other do GI, or community hospital where you see every things with 80% onc 20% heme.

PP you can see lymphoma, myeloma, but leukemia usually you send to big center/academic place

Private Practice now have 2 types, 1) group practice (group which can be single speciality or multispeciality usually 80% onc 20% heme, some big group can divide specialities based on intrest like one see only ent other lung) or Hospital based (which can be a cancer centers, where oncologist divide specialities among themself, like one do lung/breast other do GI, or community hospital where you see every things with 80% onc 20% heme.

PP you can see lymphoma, myeloma, but leukemia usually you send to big center/academic place
In PP you see everything and treat anything. The only patients I send to the tertiary medical centers are acute leukemia patients, sarcomas, definitive liver and pancreatic surgeries, and obviously, those patients who want 2nd opinions. I have plenty of lymphoma and myeloma patients in my practice. I do try to steer sickle cell patients away from my practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
In PP you see everything and treat anything. The only patients I send to the tertiary medical centers are acute leukemia patients, sarcomas, definitive liver and pancreatic surgeries, and obviously, those patients who want 2nd opinions. I have plenty of lymphoma and myeloma patients in my practice. I do try to steer sickle cell patients away from my practice.[/QUOTE]

Ouch

What is the difference between group practice and hospital based practice in regard to Salary, work load, etc?

Is there a job out there where you can have the luxuary of private practice (regarding salary) and the opportunity to teach????? how to find such groups. I honestly feel that recruiters are big scam at times and I do not feel comfortable going through them. Any advice?