Private school over in-state tuition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajc4cz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Currently I am debating between Drexel and VCU (I am a Virginia resident). I have many reservations about VCU's program, and I really love Drexel's. I received a scholarship from Drexel making the private school tuition more reasonable- it would be about $20,000 more than VCU, not including cost of living. With cost of living included, I would estimate having to take out $40,000 more in loans than at VCU.

For those that have graduated from a private school, is it worth it looking back?

Any input is strongly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

What are your reservations about the VCU program?

Disclaimer: I will probably try to convince you to go to the public program because 40k is a huge difference in loans.

Public program

-End thread

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Public. Program. Glad we could clear that up for you! :soexcited:

Yes, the public program. Your future self will REALLY thank you. I can't think of anything that would make that extra 40k in loans worth it.

My reservations about VCU's program are that it is considered to be a lot more research based than most, which I've heard makes the faculty a little less available to the students and results in a small lack of basic clinical skills. I've heard reviews from students that the teaching isn't that great from most professors.

Additionally, since VCU doesn't interview, I've heard that that seems to affect the class in terms of creating more competition since everyone was largely picked based on grades. Also, since they don't interview, a student has said that many students may be smart enough but not personable or "someone I would want to recommend a friend to".

The facilities are also located in a basement of an old hospital building, and while that might seem minor to some, I would like to be able to at least see sunlight throughout the day.

The program pretty much gives the second summer off (minus an online 2-credit class) and I'd rather just finish the program quickly.

Clinicals are heavily located around Virginia, with very few located elsewhere.

Lastly, there's just not a single thing I don't like about Drexel besides the cost. They're heavy in peds, it's a 2.5 year program, less research based- "teach you how to read and incorporate research into practice" but that's it.

Thanks for the replies!

OP - my recommendation (as usual - long-time readers of this forum know!) is to draft up a sample budget for when you'll be working post-graduation. Be realistic with your assumptions for salary, expenses and loan repayments. If you think you can live within that budget, head for the more expensive school. That way you'll get in with your eyes open.

OP - Go wherever you want to go. People are simply giving you their opinions, but when it comes down to it, it's your decision. If you are ok with the price that comes with private school, then go for it. It's your education and your personal choice. Just be happy with the one you make

My reservations about VCU's program are that it is considered to be a lot more research based than most, which I've heard makes the faculty a little less available to the students and results in a small lack of basic clinical skills. I've heard reviews from students that the teaching isn't that great from most professors.

Additionally, since VCU doesn't interview, I've heard that that seems to affect the class in terms of creating more competition since everyone was largely picked based on grades. Also, since they don't interview, a student has said that many students may be smart enough but not personable or "someone I would want to recommend a friend to".

The facilities are also located in a basement of an old hospital building, and while that might seem minor to some, I would like to be able to at least see sunlight throughout the day.

The program pretty much gives the second summer off (minus an online 2-credit class) and I'd rather just finish the program quickly.

Lastly, there's just not a single thing I don't like about Drexel besides the cost. They're heavy in peds, it's a 2.5 year program, less research based- "teach you how to read and incorporate research into practice" but that's it.

Thanks for the replies!
I've been a clinical instructor for several VCU students. I've never found that they lack basic clinical skills.
Yes, several of the faculty members are prominent PT researchers, but I've never heard any of my students ( or co-workers who were recent VCU grads) talk about those professors as poor instructors.

Thanks for the replies!

You and I are in the same boat! I am deciding between VCU and Duke/Delaware. To be completely honest, I pulled out the money and I would end up paying so much more money to go OOS than I originally imagined due to the percentages that accrue (usually around 6%). To give you an example, if I were to go to Duke over VCU, it would be around $900 more a month for 30 years...not worth it in my opinion. I do not want to go to VCU for a lot of the same reasons as you, but it is a highly reputable program and being in Richmond would provide a lot of opportunities with MCV/VCU hospitals and medical buildings right outside our classroom. Although VCU may not have been my #1 choice, it is the most responsible choice because you really can't beat the in-state tuition in my opinion - especially when you are getting the same degree at a really great school. Just my two cents!

I've been a clinical instructor for several VCU students. I've never found that they lack basic clinical skills.
Yes, several of the faculty members are prominent PT researchers, but I've never heard any of my students ( or co-workers who were recent VCU grads) talk about those professors as poor instructors.

annnnndd you heard it from the CI. Go to VCU!