Private vs. Commercial

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ben Chudner said:

I suggest someone (should be a student) do the following

1) get list of all OD school presidents (fax, address, etc)
2) Ask ALL of them to provide a simple way for lowering class size by 25%

Someone should list schools that get axed, it might be the bottom-of-the-barrel or it might be an area that does not need it (like PR?). A top down approach is the best way to help here, and it starts with the schools.

Members don't see this ad.

PBEA said:
I suggest someone (should be a student) do the following

1) get list of all OD school presidents (fax, address, etc)
2) Ask ALL of them to provide a simple way for lowering class size by 25%

Someone should list schools that get axed, it might be the bottom-of-the-barrel or it might be an area that does not need it (like PR?). A top down approach is the best way to help here, and it starts with the schools.

Have you read ICO's magazine? It talks about over saturation of ODs.
http://ico.edu/ico3/generalinformation/ICO Matters Arc/ICO_Matters_W06_F.pdf
It didn't really supply me with an answer, but at least one of the biggest opt schools is talking about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
cpw said:
which is funny coming from the school with the most inflated class size.

Some of this is to do with OD size, and some of corporate vs private practice.

Exactly, what they really need to do is reduce all class sizes at all schools by 10-15%. Its already scarey, when I'm seeing twice as many new doctors entering states than number of doctors retiring every year. Then they always want to add another school in NC or California. Enjoy the times while they're still half decent, because we'll be even more over-saturated in numbers by 2015. I'm just glad I have my student loans at a low rate and hope to have them paid off in 10 years. After going through as much school as I did, i wouldn't recommend optometry as a profession to others. I love Optometry, but it just seems like we're all killing ourselves slowly with higher volume of practicing OD's, its tougher and tougher to get on medical plans, political wars against us to hurt us even more. Then many OD's undervalue their fees, and have been nice guys way to long.

I'm just glad I practice in a good pricing area (population 400,000), where the cheapest exam is actually probably mine, and I'm thinking of even going higher (right now its $70 for a spec exam). I charge for red eye visits (even one day after a CL fit, if they scratch their eyes), punctal plugs, CL teaching (not included in a CL fit, its extra time for me to do it), Visual fields (FDT). Another refraction if the patient is a CL abuser causing corneal edema. patients who fail to show up for a CL check, I charge at the next visit. There's always a debate with being a nice guy vs hard a** in giving away services. I work in a corporate setting for the time being, and going to open my own business in another year or two. I live at home right now with parents, trying to save as much as i can to open.

If you are considering corporate my advise would be to practice in a two door state. It really helps keep the corporate people out of your practice, and them influencing your way you want to practice. Although they can make suggestions at how they want you to run things, you can accept or decline. But they can always pull your lease, most of the time with a thirty day notice. So some things are a compromise, but I wouldn't say I hate corporate at all. Its helping me save up a good front payment for a business, more experience refracting on someone's else lab costs, and its easier to work everyday of the week. Yeah i work everyday.

Good luck in your pursuit in chosing, just try to get perspectives on all modes of practice.

Ben Chudner said:
$70-80$70 if you are luckyIn order for an insurance company to pay over $300 for a comprehensive exam with refraction (92004 and 92105) the conversion factor would have to be about 65. If that is in fact the case, please let me know where you practice because I have never seen a conversion factor higher than 45 except for the Department of Labor and Industries which will not cover those codes. Even with E/M codes (99 codes) the conversion factor would be way above the norm for you to reach over $300 even with the addition amount for refraction.Therefore, only 1% of the patients in this office pay over $300 for a full exam.$60-70 plus refractionless than $300Therefore, only 30% of the patients at this office pay over $300.You have missed the point. No one is doubting that your office is more professional than a corporate office. I was merely pointing out that one of your attacks on the corporate OD's was that they charge too little for an eye exam based on the amount of education. I agree with that, however, private docs are no better in that we accept too little for an eye exam. We can charge $1,000 for a comprehensive eye exam, but if we accept insurance we won't collect anywhere near that.

medicare pays around $130 for comprehensive new, patient pays $97 for refraction out of pocket. grand total = $227

medicaid only pays about $80 for the whole thing (exam + refraction)

private medical insurers top out around medicare, and patient generally pays for refraction out of pocket.

so, my medicare/private medical insurers run around $220-$230.

its only VSP that kills.

drgregory said:
medicare pays around $130 for comprehensive new, patient pays $97 for refraction out of pocket. grand total = $227

medicaid only pays about $80 for the whole thing (exam + refraction)

private medical insurers top out around medicare, and patient generally pays for refraction out of pocket.

so, my medicare/private medical insurers run around $220-$230.

its only VSP that kills.
To be accurate, only your new patients are around $220-230. Established Medicare patients are at about $95 plus the $97 refraction or around $192. ;)

drgregory said:
its only VSP that kills.
In your one office, that's almost all of your patients. In that kind of office, how is it any different than what corporate OD's charge? Note that I am not asking if you are more professional, or if you have higher quality products, or if your staff has higher qualifications. I just want to point out that you essentially charge 80% of your patients about the same as that corporate OD down the street.

Ben Chudner said:
In your one office, that's almost all of your patients. In that kind of office, how is it any different than what corporate OD's charge? Note that I am not asking if you are more professional, or if you have higher quality products, or if your staff has higher qualifications. I just want to point out that you essentially charge 80% of your patients about the same as that corporate OD down the street.

over 1/2 of the vsp patients i see generally come in with a medical complaint. example, "im diabetic" - my endo wants me to get an eye exam.
vsp isnt billed. their medical is.

I have a question about VSP -
I'm just starting to see patients and was told that for VSP I have to have a refractive complaint. You say you bill most of yours for medical and don't use the VSP. Does vsp also cover specs? If you bill them for medical (and it covers specs) would you still be able to use vsp to cover glasses? Sorry if this is a dumb question but all of this stuff is sooo confusing! :confused:

I have a question about VSP -
I'm just starting to see patients and was told that for VSP I have to have a refractive complaint. You say you bill most of yours for medical and don't use the VSP. Does vsp also cover specs? If you bill them for medical (and it covers specs) would you still be able to use vsp to cover glasses? Sorry if this is a dumb question but all of this stuff is sooo confusing! :confused:

VSP is a vision plan. So, they cover a routine exam and glasses and/or contacts. (usually one or the other per year). Therefore, for VSP you have to have a REFRACTIVE chief complaint and diagnosis.

If the patient has a medical problem ... you bill their MEDICAL insurance (Blue Cross, United, etc) They have to have a MEDICAL chief complaint you can bill their MEDICAL insurance. Medical almost never covers specs.

VSP will still cover specs once a year even if they don't bill VSP for the exam. The glasses and/or contacts are entered into VSP's system seperately.

Hope this helps ! Coding and billing is very confusing.. just wait til you get to Medicare ;) :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
VSP is a vision plan. So, they cover a routine exam and glasses and/or contacts. (usually one or the other per year). Therefore, for VSP you have to have a REFRACTIVE chief complaint and diagnosis.

If the patient has a medical problem ... you bill their MEDICAL insurance (Blue Cross, United, etc) They have to have a MEDICAL chief complaint you can bill their MEDICAL insurance. Medical almost never covers specs.

VSP will still cover specs once a year even if they don't bill VSP for the exam. The glasses and/or contacts are entered into VSP's system seperately.

Hope this helps ! Coding and billing is very confusing.. just wait til you get to Medicare ;) :laugh:
Actually, to be accurate, VSP covers routine eye exams and therefore doesn't actually require a complaint at all. As for diagnosis, routine eye exam is a covered diagnosis so you don't even need a refractive diagnosis.

Its a toss up here. I like how VSP gives you instant print outs showing the patient's coverage and what VSP will pay for at that day's visit. Actually filing was a bit tricky, but their customer service people were always very helpful with me On the other hand, Medicare is usually decent about paying if you have a good 5 digit diagnosis. God help you trying to dispute any claim denials with them though.

That being said, I freaking HATE trying to get post-op cataract glasses reimbursement from medicare.

That being said, I freaking HATE trying to get post-op cataract glasses reimbursement from medicare.

I second this one. I did billing at the private practice I worked at for six months. In those six months, I probably got two pairs of post-op cataract surgery glasses paid for. I probably billed and rebilled 15 others.

+pissed+ <--- Me billing Medicare...

:barf: <--- Me thinking about billing Medicare...

(And I was only the employee... poor ODs!)

Here is what I charge... $70 Comp. Exam including Dilation at no charge ( i feel this should be part of a comp exam)
$20 screening FDT field if they chose to have it done
$100 spherical CL exam
$150 Toric, bifocal, monovision, RGP
$170 RGP bitoric, RGP bifocal

practice in a two door state

insurance Eyemed...if they have something else, i give a superbill out, and let them file it themselves.

What's a two door state?

What's a two door state?

If you practice corporate in a two door state, you can not be employed by a corporation. Meaning you have to run your own business completely separate from the optical. Also, your office can not be attached to the optical, there must be separation in the form of walls. So mostly a patient will come see me, I perform an exam, give them a script and they walk right next door to the optical (or they can go elsewhere).

Everything about your business has to be apart: phone lines, a receptionist, Rx pads, drug pads. Nothing about your business can be linked to the optical next door, there can't be a "walmart optical, sears optical" or whatever displayed anywhere in your office. The optical can not make appointments for you, and if they do its operating illegally.

The state boards, IMO, have designed it this way to have less influence of corporations over the way you want to practice. The corporate contact can say that you have to work 40-50 hours/wk, but they can't tell you when to work those hours. They can make suggestions, and they can always pull your lease in 30 days in most cases if you are not willing to negotiate on hours. They can't guarantee you a certain amount of dollars that you'll make. Say you make 50k in a year for a brand new store, they can't say oh we'll give you an extra 5k for working hard the 1st year.

Commerical OD's provide exams mainly for the purpose of refraction or routine contact lens fitting. There is little opportunity beyond that. No specialization, no disease, no specialty contact lenses, etc.,. The corporate overlords (the OD's boss) frown on an OD who is utilizing their space to provide clinical care, and not selling glasses, or contacts. If this suits you, then you will earn a decent living.

In private practice, mostly you choose how you practice, you can practice exactly as a corporate OD does, or you may decide to specialize, etc. You will also earn a decent living.

What specific "advice" were you looking for?

I would have to completely disagree with you. I am (for now) in a corporate setting and medical care is 1/3 of my practice. My fees are the highest around here I know. I am on every medical panel. No backlash from WM...they get optical sales and leave me alone.

I would have to completely disagree with you. I am (for now) in a corporate setting and medical care is 1/3 of my practice. My fees are the highest around here I know. I am on every medical panel. No backlash from WM...they get optical sales and leave me alone.

tell us your fee schedule then...

92004 $225
92014 $175

92015 $40

e/m codes
99204 $190
99201 $80

99214 $175
99211 $50

and so forth...

Private pay..time of service discounts and S codes for routine care.

learn the system...get paid!

92004 $225
92014 $175

92015 $40

e/m codes
99204 $190
99201 $80

99214 $175
99211 $50

and so forth...

Private pay..time of service discounts and S codes for routine care.

learn the system...get paid!

so what do you charge a private pay 22 y/o myope with nothing other than myopia?

if someone wants glasses or Cl's that's one thing...

the minute they say ouch... It's not routine, it's medical.

$89 not including CL fitting fees

so a new comprehensive is $225 + $40 billed to insurance, but if they dont have insurance you give them a 70% discount? So really your fees arent that high. I dont get a discount at my dentist because I pay cash. Why should your cash payers? Im all for dental model of practice. I have to hand it to those guys. They have a strong, knowledgeable profession, with appropriate fees. We, however, havent learned how to charge for our services and continue to give them away.

I bill S0620 and S0621 for routine eye care to cash payers. I do not discount my E/M bills.

so a new comprehensive is $225 + $40 billed to insurance, but if they dont have insurance you give them a 70% discount? So really your fees arent that high. I dont get a discount at my dentist because I pay cash. Why should your cash payers? Im all for dental model of practice. I have to hand it to those guys. They have a strong, knowledgeable profession, with appropriate fees. We, however, havent learned how to charge for our services and continue to give them away.

drgregory,

If I understand correctly, you take similar discounts in your patients who have VSP. To play devil's advocate, how is being in private practice but taking vision plans any different?

drgregory,

If I understand correctly, you take similar discounts in your patients who have VSP. To play devil's advocate, how is being in private practice but taking vision plans any different?

because we dont say to our cash payers "oh, poor you, because you were too cheap to get insurance, you get a discount". instead, we hope with all of our hearts that they get vision insurance, like VSP, so we can go through the hassle of billing their insurance only to get paid what we would have if we discounted it in the first place. you see, its the concept. if everyone would bill at an appropriate level FOR ALL PATIENTS, patients would understand the level of care they are getting. instead, this changing of fee level at the last minute garbage makes us look as if we're negotiating on used shoes.

because we dont say to our cash payers "oh, poor you, because you were too cheap to get insurance, you get a discount". instead, we hope with all of our hearts that they get vision insurance, like VSP, so we can go through the hassle of billing their insurance only to get paid what we would have if we discounted it in the first place. you see, its the concept. if everyone would bill at an appropriate level FOR ALL PATIENTS, patients would understand the level of care they are getting. instead, this changing of fee level at the last minute garbage makes us look as if we're negotiating on used shoes.

well..ok, so that's your opinion. It does well for me and I'm happy the way I practice.

I agree with everything you said. Do you believe that some doctors will give cash paying patients a discount to try to keep them in their office? Maybe they try this instead of having patients see Walmart as a cheap alternative. Dunno, just thinking out loud.

Why do so many OD's feel guilty about their fees? I would be surprised if there were another profession that leaves more money on the table than optometry. I am so sick of listening to optometrists complain that they cannot make a good living in optometry...these same people could not make a good living in medicine, dentistry, or any other profession for that matter. Set reasonable fees, respect patients, provide a good service, and be sure to charge for your services. It is perceived value.

Why do so many OD's feel guilty about their fees? I would be surprised if there were another profession that leaves more money on the table than optometry. I am so sick of listening to optometrists complain that they cannot make a good living in optometry...these same people could not make a good living in medicine, dentistry, or any other profession for that matter. Set reasonable fees, respect patients, provide a good service, and be sure to charge for your services. It is perceived value.

I think you're right on many levels of what you said. I do not give discounts to patients if they don't have insurance, but that's just my stance. I don't feel guilty now when I tell patients the cost of a Toric CL exam, esp if I can fit two torics on the first pulled trial and hit them to 20/15 vision.

I believe your right on the leaving the most money on the table of any profession. SOme of the problem with optometry is we have material good attached to our services. Whereas probably a dentist, ophthalmologist, podiatry (i'm not sure on pod.) can bill for mostly services provided.

Another problem is the curriculum at OD schools. They spend time over valuing the education on the history of optometry and optics. I'm sure i've hardly have ever used high thought provoking optics to figure out an Rx. Maybe a bitoric RGP but that's it. They need more courses on clinical medicine, ie. ordering laboratory tests. Then also a whole course should just be on medical billing/coding.

They need to stop teaching these worthless optics equations courses. I do not need to figure out a blackbody radiation, or a diffraction pattern. Combine some of the optics classes (Geometrical, ocular, physical, ophthalmic).

Just my 2 cents

Very well put Ryan. The saving grace of optometry will be embracing the medical model. Those that choose to spin dials arent really helping to push the profession forward. It is true that many patients that initially come to my offices do so for glassess ot contacts. I do provide that service, but I also am sure to treat their dry eyes and allergies. I bring patients back that need workups for glaucoma and mac degen. I follow my diabetics closely and I make sure that every patient's primary care physician gets a summary of my findings when I treat a medical problem. Let these guys know you actually know how to do more than prescribe glasses! One of my best friends is a family physician. He was blown away when he realized all of the things I do in my office. Meet these guys in your community, introduce yourself to their front office personnel and their PA's. Most importantly, you must remember it is not how much money you make but how much money you keep. Learn business skills, understand cash flow, and use the tax laws to your advantage.

tears are welling up in my eyes. i felt i was the only one who valued our services enough to charge appropriately for them. now i know im not alone

tears are welling up in my eyes. i felt i was the only one who valued our services enough to charge appropriately for them. now i know im not alone

Need a tissue? Glad to see your good attitude.

Where do you think I came up with the argument. ;)You are absolutely right Ken. I have seriously researched whether or not to drop VSP. I have watched several of my friends do it. They always say the same thing. My gross is down X% but my net is only down X-Y%. Or in other words I could be working 25% less and only reduce my revenue by 16%. In a smaller practice, a 16% reduction in revenue is not that much. In a large practice, it can be a lot of money. Right now I have an associate that is trying to build a practice. VSP is helping to keep her books busy. When she gets to a point where she is booked 3-4 weeks out rather than 1-2 days, then I will have the excuse I need to drop VSP.That's what caught my attention in drgregory's post. I could charge $500 an exam, but the problem is my practice has less than 10% true private pay. I have a lot of patients that have no routine vision, but they don't like to come back if you don't make a medical diagnosis to charge their insurance. I am still curious as to what drgregory is really getting for an eye exam. I can tell you that for every dollar I charge, I only collect on average 82 cents. I could raise my fees, but then I would collect less per dollar I charge, because I already charge more than most insurance companies will pay.

In my office, it would be dumb to drop VSP since many of these patients are also great medical cases--i.e. collect on the medical side! Plus, VSP patients come back more often. Think they are going to pass up on their benefits? Might be less per year but over 5-10 years, you'll make more on a VSP patient. Meanwhile those cheap private pay people only come back when their glasses self-destruct... :laugh:

I think you're right on many levels of what you said. I do not give discounts to patients if they don't have insurance, but that's just my stance. I don't feel guilty now when I tell patients the cost of a Toric CL exam, esp if I can fit two torics on the first pulled trial and hit them to 20/15 vision.

I believe your right on the leaving the most money on the table of any profession. SOme of the problem with optometry is we have material good attached to our services. Whereas probably a dentist, ophthalmologist, podiatry (i'm not sure on pod.) can bill for mostly services provided.

Another problem is the curriculum at OD schools. They spend time over valuing the education on the history of optometry and optics. I'm sure i've hardly have ever used high thought provoking optics to figure out an Rx. Maybe a bitoric RGP but that's it. They need more courses on clinical medicine, ie. ordering laboratory tests. Then also a whole course should just be on medical billing/coding.

They need to stop teaching these worthless optics equations courses. I do not need to figure out a blackbody radiation, or a diffraction pattern. Combine some of the optics classes (Geometrical, ocular, physical, ophthalmic).

Just my 2 cents

I think we could cut back on some of the curriculum but remember: We are supposed to be the experts at vision and eyes.

The problem with having a billing/coding course in school is that you aren't going to grasp the full impact of it until you get out in the real world. I think it's better to take courses when you get out--they are available at nearly any large CE event. :p

We are different professions. Dentists may bill to "insurance" but many of these plans are not true insurances. Many are just discount plans. Also, not many people have dental insurance anyway. It's still inbelievably expensive. The biggest difference between us is that dental problems often HURT LIKE HELL so people are grateful to pay for the services to relieve the friggin' pain! :rolleyes:

It's great that you don't discount your services. Please keep trumpting your horn on this...

The biggest problem we have with nearly everything you could consider negative about optometry is that THERE ARE TOO MANY OF US. If we had fewer ODs, then vision plans would be much smaller since we wouldn't need them anymore to make a living, we could hire new grads and preserve the ways of private practice, we could pay off our student debt faster, we all could afford better equipment, and we could compete better with the big boys. Tell me how having few ODs is not a good thing??? :p

We could take this to another thread and hash it out... :cool:

Tell me how having few ODs is not a good thing??? :p

um, i can't think of one. not one. too bad there are so many people (ie, schools, AOA, way too many ODs that its crazy) that think we need more.

I'm really lost on this. I don't see it changing unfortunately.

To those doctors in private practice who think they are more ethical or more professional, I suggest you look into the mirror. The higher fees you charge does not make you a better doctor. What they teach you in private practice is to "billed" creatively so you can make more money. Not too many private practices can suceed without dispensing so stop calling the "other" doctors "commercialized". In the last 15 years in corporate setting, I have never compromise my belief regarding how I practice Optometry. If you think where you practice is more important than how you practice, I suggest you buy a better mirror to see the hypocrasy staring back in the mirror. All these fights among optometrist are really about MONEY. Practices that are sucessful because they make money. Private doctors make more money so I guess they can preach to all of us about ethics. I love what I do and not how much I make. I hope that all of us think about why we go to work each day and remember that we are all in this profession to bring better vision to the people we served.

To those doctors in private practice who think they are more ethical or more professional, I suggest you look into the mirror. The higher fees you charge does not make you a better doctor. What they teach you in private practice is to "billed" creatively so you can make more money. Not too many private practices can suceed without dispensing so stop calling the "other" doctors "commercialized". In the last 15 years in corporate setting, I have never compromise my belief regarding how I practice Optometry. If you think where you practice is more important than how you practice, I suggest you buy a better mirror to see the hypocrasy staring back in the mirror. All these fights among optometrist are really about MONEY. Practices that are sucessful because they make money. Private doctors make more money so I guess they can preach to all of us about ethics. I love what I do and not how much I make. I hope that all of us think about why we go to work each day and remember that we are all in this profession to bring better vision to the people we served.

I'm glad you love what you do, but you are confusing proper examination techniques (and their associated fees) with some type of selfish money-hungry attitude. I resent that comment, as it is false, and basically disparages, not only most optometrists, but ophthalmologists, and the rest of the entire medical arena. I know things are "different" with corporate, I spent two years post-grad doing mixed corporate settings and I think I know where you are coming from. I too acted in an entirely ethical manner, but lets face it, in the mall, only optical sales matter, and the rest can shiit the bucket. Having been there, and seen others doing it, that is the sentiment that I universally impose on your practice modality.

Jesus H. Christ you're obnoxious. Just bookmark the damn thread, there's no need to bump up every single thread you like by telling us what you've done.

No one is saying that people have to respond to a bookmarked thread; just ignore it if it bothers you.

No one is saying that people have to respond to a bookmarked thread; just ignore it if it bothers you.

But what in the world is the point of telling everyone that you've bookmarked a thread?

But what in the world is the point of telling everyone that you've bookmarked a thread?

Exactly. Plus, I come in here and click on every thread that interests me and has new posts. I was a little testy this morning when 90% of the new posts had nothing but you informing us that you bookmarked them.

Exactly. Plus, I come in here and click on every thread that interests me and has new posts. I was a little testy this morning when 90% of the new posts had nothing but you informing us that you bookmarked them.

How else can you bookmark without saying something in a thread? If there is a way, I have not known about it before. Sorry if I upset you, for whatever wierd reason.

How else can you bookmark without saying something in a thread?
I just took ten minutes out of studying for physio tomorrow in order to try and figure out what the hell you're talking about.

I did not figure it out.

I did, however, realize that you don't know how to use the favorites feature that has been a part of Internet Explorer for approximately the last 10 years.

I just took ten minutes out of studying for physio tomorrow in order to try and figure out what the hell you're talking about.

I did not figure it out.

I did, however, realize that you don't know how to use the favorites feature that has been a part of Internet Explorer for approximately the last 10 years.

Oh, boy! Really? I didn't realize that computers came with graphics! And, whats that you said? Internet Explorer? Why would people want to explore a net? Kids these days... :rolleyes:

I do know how to bookmark things in IE. I just wanted to bookmark this thread for the SDN search engine.

I do not know, however, why you guys have to act so moody and bitter over what should've been a minor incident. Probably just a bad day, I presume?

I'm not responding to this thread anymore, so any more insults will go on deaf ears.

BTW, I use firefox. Internet explorer is so outdated...