Pro Optometry, Should I switch my major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sabrinalovesnature

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so here is my story. I am a Canadian student in my second year studying neuroscience at my University. So my optometrist is who convinced me that optometry would be a good field to get into and he is likewise Canadian but went to a school in the states. So this is my plan. The thing is my GPA is only around 3.2 or 3.3 right how and I know it could be a lot better however my neuroscience degree requires me to take some of the hardest courses in the Uni that have the highest fail rates, etc and so it will likely drop my GPA to continue taking these courses. Sorry this has been long, but the point of the matter is I'm curious if I should switch my major in order to take easier science courses that'll boost my GPA. And of course I will take all the optometry prerequisites. Thanks for the help in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hey @Sabrinalovesnature !
In my opinion, majors aren't really that important as long as you take what's required of you for optometry school. Some applicants don't even have a major and go into school without a bachelor's. I think neuroscience will look impressive as it heavily relates to optometry. But if that major is likely to hurt you in the long run, i would drop it. If what you want is a bachelor's, maybe go bio? Or at least look into a major that involves the most optometry prereqs. The point is to do well in those prereqs, so make sure you put your all into those. If you stay neuro, make sure you do well in those too because that can hurt your science GPA or percentage if your school does it that way. I would even suggest psychology? You can pretty much pick any major. Like i said, you really just need the prereqs. But it's all really just up to you and what you feel will work best for you. Maybe a non-science major will have better insight on this. Hope that helps!

Thanks that helps a lot!! Psychology is exactly what I had planned to switch in to. My school doesn't do a specific GPA for just my science based courses or anything like that so I am trying to maintain an overall good GPA, although almost every course I have taken thus far is science related. I only got a B- in one of my physics classes and I am wondering if that will hurt my chances a lot and if I should maybe retake it? What do you think? Again thankyou so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool, glad i could help! Something to be aware of though, Optomcas averages a GPA from sciences and another GPA for overall. That's only for the schools in America though. So that's why i say sciences matter so much. I'm not sure how Waterloo does it. A B- is no big deal in my opinion. A C i would maybe retake a class. For most schools a C in a prereq is the minimum you can make, so for sure no C-'s! But i'm only applying to schools in America...so if you're looking into Waterloo, i'd double check with them. I know they have really high standards. The min OAT is a 370AA and i don't know about GPA (%) but i imagine it's up there.

Some applicants don't even have a major and go into school without a bachelor's.

While this may be true, it's very bad advice to give. Schools heavily favor applicants that have completed a degree prior to matriculation. Those who are accepted without a degree have proven that they are qualified, often having exceptional GPA and test scores. Your chances of being admitted with a 3.3 without a degree is minimal.

Okay good to know. I am not considering Waterloo because the odds are not in my favor that I would make it in. But that makes sense, so I should obtain a bachelor degree first of all?

Okay good to know. I am not considering Waterloo because the odds are not in my favor that I would make it in. But that makes sense, so I should obtain a bachelor degree first of all?

I would try and finish a degree first. Why not apply anyway? Might as well take a shot.