probably FAQ's , but here I go . .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrp0pularrr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions regarding medical school admissions. I'm currently a psychology major attending a community college and I'm almost finished with my AA degree and plan on going to Stony Brook University, Buffalo, Hofstra, Florida State, UF, or UCF (still debating). I have 37 credits accumulated with a GPA of 3.0597... I currently work in a pediatric office full time and I plan on going to school this summer part time (9 credits) and finishing this fall 2011 with 13 credits. I volunteered at my local hospital in the ICU my freshman year for three months and plan on doing more volunteer work as the years go on.

My current semester, I went to school full time with the classes and grades as follows: (comments are welcome)

1. Biology I - C
2. Biology Lab I - A
3. Chemistry Expanded Sequence A - A
4. Precalculus and Trigonometry - B

My biggest concern is that 'C' in Biology I received, should I be worried? I know that in regards to admission - medical schools do not sole make their decisions on which students they pick based on GPA alone. But I want people to share their experiences - has anyone received a grade of 'C' in any of their sciences courses?

Another question I have is pertaining to my major. I chose psychology because I'm very interested within the field and what it has to offer. But what I want advice on is - would it be in my best interest to minor in psychology instead and take a "science-based" major in order for me to take more science courses? If not, should I continue with Psychology and just take more science courses that might be useful for acceptance to med school?

Your opinion is valuable :).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A community college student with a <3.1 in an easy major. That would be my JUDGMENTAL opinion. The stats at your target schools are a lot higher than what you currently have. That being said,you still have A LOT of time. My opinion is if you can't balance work and school, then don't work. Working full-time doesn't make up for your low GPA. Just my 2 cents..

Last edited:
I agree. Psychology is what some may call an "easy-major", but if I do recall correctly the major one chooses does not impress adcom - if you excel within your major of choice and still satisfy the prerequisites you need then that would be enough. At least that's what I read, is there something I don't know?

Members don't see this ad :)
You're a 100% right, do what you love and adcoms will appreciate that. Just a little hard to get sympathy for a less than ideal GPA while majoring in psychology and attending a community college.

A community college student with a <3.1 in an easy major. That would be my JUDGMENTAL opinion. The stats at your target schools are a lot higher than what you currently have. That being said,you still have A LOT of time. My opinion is if you can't balance work and school, then don't work. Working full-time doesn't make up for your low GPA. Just my 2 cents..

May I added my opinion? What if I decide to finish my last semester which would require me to still work full time and once I'm done live on campus at a 4 year university and finish my last two years?

You're a 100% right, do what you love and adcoms will appreciate that. Just a little hard to get sympathy for a less than ideal GPA while majoring in psychology and attending a community college.

But why is that? I have a friend who attends FAU and all the stuff she's taking right now is equally the same as far as content being taught and the way it's being instructed. And as far as the classes I've taken pertaining to my major I've only taken Psych I so I haven't really taken any psychology courses yet. I've just been fulfilling all my other requirements (Humanities, English, Math, etc.)

Im not advising you to drop everything and go out of your means to attend a 4-year university (or change your major), but with that being said you'll need a bachelors degree before you attend medical school anyway. Just do WELL wherever you're going to school. The AVERAGE applicant attending a medical school has a GPA of 3.6ish. Something to think about.

Im not advising you to drop everything and go out of your means to attend a 4-year university (or change your major), but with that being said you'll need a bachelors degree before you attend medical school anyway. Just do WELL wherever you're going to school. The AVERAGE applicant attending a medical school has a GPA of 3.6ish. Something to think about.

No, I completely understand what you're trying to say and I appreciate it. I'm just talking about my future goals as far as with attending a 4 year university. I'm almost done at the college I'm attending now so I'm pretty much going to be taking all my other prereq's and higher level courses at a 4 year institution anyway. I just wanted to know if I'm on the right track with everything.

I'm learning where I went wrong with Bio this year and I plan to make up for it.

My other piece of advice would be NEVER EVER EVER listen to advisors or counselors. Double check EVERYTHING! If they f*&k up its your ass on the line, not theirs. They have no incentive to go out of their way to do additional research for you. As long as you're doing well GPA wise, taking all your pre-reqs, and checking all your research, clinical exposure, and volunteering boxes your on the right track ;)

I agree. Psychology is what some may call an "easy-major", but if I do recall correctly the major one chooses does not impress adcom - if you excel within your major of choice and still satisfy the prerequisites you need then that would be enough. At least that's what I read, is there something I don't know?

This is true.. but there is a difference between someone who gets a 3.1 in psychology and someone who gets a 3.1 in chemical engineering. Adcoms don't care what you major in as long as you do well in it but I'm not sure if a 3.1 is really "doing well". You still have time to improve your GPA. If you like psychology, continue with it but try to figure out why you haven't done as well thus far and work to change those circumstances, whether it be study habits, not attending class, working too much, etc. Generally, people do better in classes they LIKE. If you like psychology, you are more likely to do well in it versus majoring in biology if your not fond of it.

As for your biology grade, I'd probably recommend retaking it in the future if you can.

This is true.. but there is a difference between someone who gets a 3.1 in psychology and someone who gets a 3.1 in chemical engineering. Adcoms don't care what you major in as long as you do well in it but I'm not sure if a 3.1 is really "doing well". You still have time to improve your GPA. If you like psychology, continue with it but try to figure out why you haven't done as well thus far and work to change those circumstances, whether it be study habits, not attending class, working too much, etc. Generally, people do better in classes they LIKE. If you like psychology, you are more likely to do well in it versus majoring in biology if your not fond of it.

As for your biology grade, I'd probably recommend retaking it in the future if you can.

Thanks for your input. I doubt that I'll be able to retake Biology considering I'll be passing with a C, but I'll try to keep that in mind.

Even if you retake it MD schools usually only avg. the grade, not replace it (like DO schools).

nope, you got it. the problem here is that a 3.06 isn't anyone's definition of "excel." and those grades are going to follow you now wherever you go.

you'll need a 3.8+ from here on out to get to that 3.6 cGPA. some of your habits are going to have to change.

Members don't see this ad :)
nope, you got it. the problem here is that a 3.06 isn't anyone's definition of "excel." and those grades are going to follow you now wherever you go.

you'll need a 3.8+ from here on out to get to that 3.6 cGPA. some of your habits are going to have to change.

I completely agree with what you're saying. Which is why I feel that living on campus where ever I go will allow me to fully concentrate on school which will hence grant me more opportunities (greater grades, etc.). I know I'll be able to pull it off if I make the change. if I was able to pull the grades I have with the madness I've gone through then lessening the "un-needed" stress will have a positive effect on me.

4. Precalculus and Trigonometry - B

I don't wish to sound rude, but how did you get a B in PreCalc? Did you have a hard professor? Did your job get in the way?

I also hate to burst your bubble, but university courses tend to be tougher than community college courses. You do have a lot of time to fix your GPA, but you also need to drastically bump up your grades. And this isn't going to happen overnight unless you can figure out what caused you to get those grades in the first place.

I don't wish to sound rude, but how did you get a B in PreCalc? Did you have a hard professor? Did your job get in the way?

I also hate to burst your bubble, but university courses tend to be tougher than community college courses. You do have a lot of time to fix your GPA, but you also need to drastically bump up your grades. And this isn't going to happen overnight unless you can figure out what caused you to get those grades in the first place.

Not bursting my bubble whatsoever. The teacher was not hard at all - I was on an 100 - 80 average with all my test throughout the course. It wasn't the precalculus section that dropped me down to an 80 on some of my test it was the trigonometry. The class was two courses blended into one: Precalculus and Trigonometry (after the first test - there was a test every other week in that class). I've never taken trig before in my life so being introduced to the subject for the first time was something I had to get used to.

As far as anything happening over night - I believe that's true. In high school, I was a very remedial student - an under achiever. Maybe to you it might seem that I haven't stepped it up whatsoever, but I know I've made a complete change and I know I'm heading in the right direction. Nothing will bring me back to my old ways. Thank you for your concern and advice though.

Maybe to you it might seem that I haven't stepped it up whatsoever, but I know I've made a complete change and I know I'm heading in the right direction. Nothing will bring me back to my old ways. Thank you for your concern and advice though.

That's absolutely great! I was surprised by your Pre-Calc grades since from my experience, most high school students in Texas take Pre-Calc by senior year. But I understand your difficulty with trig. It's not an easy subject and it can get complex very fast, especially if you haven't seen it before. I hope I didn't sound too callous and I'm sorry if I did.

That's absolutely great! I was surprised by your Pre-Calc grades since from my experience, most high school students in Texas take Pre-Calc by senior year. But I understand your difficulty with trig. It's not an easy subject and it can get complex very fast, especially if you haven't seen it before. I hope I didn't sound too callous and I'm sorry if I did.

No man, it's okay. I was actually two points away from an A, but because I received an 85 on my final it dropped me down to an 88 overall average in the class.

And taking precal in high school is also taken by high school seniors in my state (Florida) as well. I was planning on taking it when I was in high school, but because I moved during the end of my sophomore year most of credits from my old high school in new york were not transferred correctly. I had to retake Algebra I during one half of my junior year and the other half I took geometry. And then finally I took Algebra II my senior year. It was a complete mess - but what can you do :). At least I'm getting things done now.

Pre-calc (along with geometry) is a useless class. Just wanted to throw that out there. Continue with your normally scheduled thread.

Last edited:
Pre-calc (along with geometry) is a useless class. Just wanted to throw that out there. Continue with your normally scheduled thread.

It is what it is. In order to take Cal I and II you must take the prereq's first.

I do recall correctly the major one chooses does not impress adcom - if you excel within your major of choice and still satisfy the prerequisites you need then that would be enough. Peter tross at least that's what I read, is there something I don't know?

Sounds like someone was trying to quote me without exactly quoting me - no bueno (translation: not good) ;).

I know that in regards to admission - medical schools do not sole make their decisions on which students they pick based on GPA alone.

Consider that there are 10 applicants in the nation for every 4 seats. It is a brutal game of musical chairs; when the music stops (sometime around May 15) most of the players don't have a seat.

While decisions are not made on GPA alone, there are more than enough applicants with GPAs of >3.5 such that admissions committees choose from among those who have excellent academic acheivement AND are well rounded with experiences that add to their good fit for med school.

While working full time does count for something, it can't make up for a gpa that is about 0.5 lower than it needs to be (0.7 higher would be even better). Do you know the material covered in that bio course well enough to do well on the MCAT. If not, you've got to teach yourself that material or you need to retake the class in order to learn the material. Without a turn around in your grades, and a good MCAT, you don't have a prayer. Is it possible to get into medical school with a C in Bio I. Yes, it is but that has to be an outlier in anotherwise pristine application.

I've never taken trig before in my life so being introduced to the subject for the first time was something I had to get used to.

Be very careful about this. Every day of medical school you are "introduced to subjects for the first time" and at an incredibly rapid pace and volume. (E.g. at my med school we covered an entire undergrad semester's worth of cell biology in 3 days, and by a few weeks into first year we were already well beyond any material which might be a review/familiar from undergrad courses.) Frankly, a large part of being a physician itself is being able to rapidly acquire, analyze and act on vast amounts of new information about a patient (x however many patients are on your caseload). So having a rough time adapting to new material is going to be a huge red flag when it comes to getting in to medical school...and realistically an insurmountable obstacle when it comes to surviving once in medical school.

As others have suggested, take the time now to figure out what study strategies do and don't work for you, and also figure out how to be better and faster to adapting to new material. Also, take LizzyM's sage advice very seriously. Good luck!

Consider that there are 10 applicants in the nation for every 4 seats. It is a brutal game of musical chairs; when the music stops (sometime around May 15) most of the players don't have a seat.

While decisions are not made on GPA alone, there are more than enough applicants with GPAs of >3.5 such that admissions committees choose from among those who have excellent academic acheivement AND are well rounded with experiences that add to their good fit for med school.

While working full time does count for something, it can't make up for a gpa that is about 0.5 lower than it needs to be (0.7 higher would be even better). Do you know the material covered in that bio course well enough to do well on the MCAT. If not, you've got to teach yourself that material or you need to retake the class in order to learn the material. Without a turn around in your grades, and a good MCAT, you don't have a prayer. Is it possible to get into medical school with a C in Bio I. Yes, it is but that has to be an outlier in anotherwise pristine application.

Thank you for your input. You are right, I know the obstacles I must face. As far as with Biology I, I know exactly what I must do to better grasp the material - so I'll be working on it by myself. I know that it wasn't the course was too hard, but rather I didn't put enough time into learning the concepts effectively. Otherwise, how could I have passed the lab with an A in the first place? I now know it's a matter of having my priorities in check - treating each course as important as the next.

I am very thankful for all the good input from everyone and including you as well.

Be very careful about this. Every day of medical school you are "introduced to subjects for the first time" and at an incredibly rapid pace and volume. (E.g. at my med school we covered an entire undergrad semester's worth of cell biology in 3 days, and by a few weeks into first year we were already well beyond any material which might be a review/familiar from undergrad courses.) Frankly, a large part of being a physician itself is being able to rapidly acquire, analyze and act on vast amounts of new information about a patient (x however many patients are on your caseload). So having a rough time adapting to new material is going to be a huge red flag when it comes to getting in to medical school...and realistically an insurmountable obstacle when it comes to surviving once in medical school.

As others have suggested, take the time now to figure out what study strategies do and don't work for you, and also figure out how to be better and faster to adapting to new material. Also, take LizzyM's sage advice very seriously. Good luck!

I will be very careful - thanks for the heads up. I understand exactly what you're saying. I am very cool with most of the doctor's at the office I work for and one of the doctor's there also instructs me on the good and bad (do's and the don't's). I am a walking vacuum just taking in all the constructive criticism (advice) that is given to me. I, again, thank you for you're input.