Problems with caffei...zzzzzzzzzz

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpeedRacer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else having problems kickin' the caffeine? I quit it 2 weeks ago and I'm dyin here. Real hard time gettin going in the morning. I finally made it to the library and it's almost 3pm!
And the couches look so....comfy......

Members don't see this ad.

Don't kick it. Caffeine is nearly a wonder drug, and kicking it now would be a bad idea anyway.

(Note: my opinion, not facts. Seems appropriate for this kind of thread, if inapt for others.)

Does instant coffee have the same amount of caffeine as regular ground coffee beans coffee? Because things like nestle and maxwell instant coffee put me right to sleep... maybe because I use milk all the way... but they taste soooo good! mmmmm

Maybe try working out a bit... though perhaps two weeks before the MCAT isn't the best time to drop the habit! :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
SailCrazy said:
Maybe try working out a bit... though perhaps two weeks before the MCAT isn't the best time to drop the habit! :scared:

really cause i thought that quitting caffeine a few weeks before was supposed to help you...at least that's what people have been telling me. even the kaplan people told us to quit caffeine at least 2 wks before the exam to get it out of your system...
now i'm confused.
and tired.
i ran yesterday, it made me feel good for a bit and then just made me feel exhausted.

SpeedRacer said:
really cause i thought that quitting caffeine a few weeks before was supposed to help you...at least that's what people have been telling me. even the kaplan people told us to quit caffeine at least 2 wks before the exam to get it out of your system...

What's their logic behind that? I don't neccessarily see why it would be good or bad, one way or the other.

medanthgirl said:
What's their logic behind that? I don't neccessarily see why it would be good or bad, one way or the other.
I think the main point is to avoid the highs and lows that a caffeine addiciton will bring over the course of an eight hour test day.

SpeedRacer said:
now i'm confused.
and tired.
i ran yesterday, it made me feel good for a bit and then just made me feel exhausted.
I definitely think that being caffeine-free will allow you to perform better on test day. I do not think, however, that quitting caffeine will allow you to be at peak performance during the time that you're quitting.

If you feel like you really need to be "at the top of your game" for these next 2 weeks, then maybe kicking the habit isn't the best plan. Exercise can definitely help, but it certainly isn't going to be an immediate cure all for your low energy issues.

I would still recommend dropping caffeine, but don't expect it to come without some difficulty.

Good luck! :luck:

SpeedRacer said:
Is anyone else having problems kickin' the caffeine? I quit it 2 weeks ago and I'm dyin here. Real hard time gettin going in the morning. I finally made it to the library and it's almost 3pm!
And the couches look so....comfy......

Get some jolt caffeine gum, and take it in decreasing doses, just like nicorette.

Don't listen to anyone here that says to keep on the caffeine. I quit drinking coffee once I STARTED medical school, and have no problems with alertness now.

right on. yeah most people have told me to kick the caffeine because you don't want to crash during the last section...which i could see happening. but considering i haven't had caffeine in awhile, someone suggested that maybe i'm tired for some other reason, which is completely possible. i mean, the caff should be out of my system now, and this whole process isn't the most uplifting thing i've ever had to go through...

DO NOT QUIT ANYTHING 2 WEEKS BEFORE THE MCAT!!!!!!!!! are you nuts? just stick with what your body's used to! don't overdo it on the coffee, but a cup a day isn't going to kill you. make sure that your coffee shop opens nice and early if you plan to get coffee the morning of the MCAT. i had to beg them to let me in to my local coffee place before it opened on the morning of the exam -- i waited outside the door until they came out and had pity on my poor decaffeinated self... :)