procedure log as a med student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CCEMTP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got another weird question for y'all. I'm a 2nd year med student with an EMS background. I did a shadowing rotation the other day in a community ED not affiliated with a med school and assisted one of the ED docs with a central line. He handed me a patient sticker for my procedure log. I told him I was only a 2nd year med student but he said I should still be keeping a procedure log for everything I do in med school. He said it would help with residency and afterwards getting credentialed in my job. When I got back home I asked one of the docs affiliated with my home institution and he said anything before residency doesn't count at this residency. So I'm curious, did anyone do this? Does it count for anything to keep track of the procedures I do in med school? Does anyone's residency care about this stuff? I know it's good experience to do the procedures, I'm just curious the look I would get if on the first day of residency I hand my PD some book full of patient stickers with a list of all the abscesses I've drained lol. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If your med school requires a procedure log, keep track obviously. My residency program does not count procedures performed before July 1st of intern year as anything more than good experience. That's my n of 1 answer, but I assume most residencies treat med school procedures the same way.

It should count. Why does it matter when you did the procedure?

But I wouldn't worry about it. You'll get plenty of procedures in residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've got another weird question for y'all. I'm a 2nd year med student with an EMS background. I did a shadowing rotation the other day in a community ED not affiliated with a med school and assisted one of the ED docs with a central line. He handed me a patient sticker for my procedure log. I told him I was only a 2nd year med student but he said I should still be keeping a procedure log for everything I do in med school. He said it would help with residency and afterwards getting credentialed in my job. When I got back home I asked one of the docs affiliated with my home institution and he said anything before residency doesn't count at this residency. So I'm curious, did anyone do this? Does it count for anything to keep track of the procedures I do in med school? Does anyone's residency care about this stuff? I know it's good experience to do the procedures, I'm just curious the look I would get if on the first day of residency I hand my PD some book full of patient stickers with a list of all the abscesses I've drained lol. Thanks.

I doubt you'll get any sort of credit for procedures done as a med student / paramedic / whatever. I know you wouldn't get credit in my program. As birdstrike said though, you get plenty of procedures during residency, so it's a moot point.

Agree with the above. It won't count for any residency requirements.

However, some med school rotations do make you keep procedure logs in order to pass the rotation.
On our 2 week M3 EM rotation we had to do a minimum of 5 FAST exams, 2 I/Ds, and 2 lac repairs.
Anesthesia required at least 5 successful tubes and 5 successful PIVs.

It's fairly easy to get those numbers though even in just the 1st week. Most people ended up with over twice as many as required.

Our medical school required a certain number of procedures depending on the rotation - which is where the stickers come in use.

Now residency on the other hand - they do not care about what you did before your 1st day as an intern.

thanks for the replies everybody. I thought it was a little odd, but at this point in my education I'm finding out a lot of odd things I didn't know that are true. Glad to know its one less thing I have to do now.