Procedures and shingles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kstarm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
55yr old woman starts valacyclovir for a shingles outbreak two days before I see her for lumbar MBB. Out break is on her forehead. She has a few lesions that are not open. At our procedure site injections are cancelled for active infections. My partner recommended I cancel the injection, and just wait until it has run its course and she finishes the med. I wasn't sure what the best course of action was as I hadn't run into this previously. Anyone else run into this? would you cancel or do the procedure?, does the type of procedure change our decision at all? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i would cancel the MBB. my reasoning is that you cannot be 100% sure this is HZ, and even if it is, it can become super infected with strep or even staph, so doing an elective spine injection would be increasing the risk a little bit. in addition, you might be exposing people in your waiting room/staff to varicella virus although that is a reach i think.

active lesions i cancel. let her get over her infection, and also dont let the discomfort from shingles affect the results from any scheduled procedure. these are elective procedures, imo.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's an MBB , nothing is going get worse with waiting a bit

Depends on how much the lesions are bothering her. If they're not bothersome, and the patient doesn't want to waste the visit/travel/time, I'd go ahead and do it.

Cancel not because of infection risk but because she is going to be preoccupied by the shingles to focus on the Mbb.

Don't want A false negative.

Reactions: 1 user