Procedures for patients on antibiotics- policies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmvguy03

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does your clinic have hard & fast policies on patients on antibiotics (not chronic suppressive abx) in terms of procedures? Does it depend on procedure type? Based on current symptoms (i.e. afebrile x 48hrs etc.) or day of antibiotics (day 1/7 vs. day 6/7)?

Members don't see this ad.

we tell anyone on abx or si/sx of active infection that we will reschedule the procedure until the abx are completed and symptoms have resolved.

Reactions: 2 users
We are similar though do make exceptions for people on prophylactic antibiotics without signs of active infection

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the situation. Most of the time, I hold off, but sometimes I consider LMBBs and RFAs.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on the situation. Most of the time, I hold off, but sometimes I consider LMBBs and RFAs.
Agreed. For SCS its a no go for me, but non-epidural procedures I'll consider. Esp if they were put on antibiotics by an urgent care for a cold which is clearly viral...they're just trying to get people out the door. Same thing for "sinusitis"...do you know how many are true bacterial sinusitis coming to the PCP/UC? I bet 10%--the rest are colds.
In all cases I'll thoroughly discuss the risks/benefits of course.

Reactions: 1 user
Clinically, I don't mind as long as not in epidural space and asymptomatic. If anything, it's likely safer with antibiotics floating around. I do have some reservations giving steroids if they're fighting off something though, so I try not to give any steroids if active infection.

That being said, my office has a policy of no injections until 5 days off antibiotics. No exceptions.