Process for applying for medical residency in Navy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cardiazem

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am a 4th year FMG medical student with pernament U.S. citizenship who will graduate from ROSS University School of Medicine in June. I am interested in starting my PGY-1 year in July 2011 in the Navy in Internal Medicine, Family Practice, Emergency Medicine, or Surgery. What is the process for applying? Who do I contact? How do I know which Navy medical residency programs are available? If you have further information, please send a PM or contact me at [email protected].

Thanks in advance,
Cardiazem

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,
I am a 4th year FMG medical student with pernament U.S. citizenship who will graduate from ROSS University School of Medicine in June. I am interested in starting my PGY-1 year in July 2011 in the Navy in Internal Medicine, Family Practice, Emergency Medicine, or Surgery. What is the process for applying? Who do I contact? How do I know which Navy medical residency programs are available? If you have further information, please send a PM or contact me at [email protected].

Thanks in advance,
Cardiazem

There are no Navy positions for PGY-1 available for start in July 2011. That ship sailed back in November.

If you truly wish to join the Navy, you could apply for an internship starting in July 2012. Applications for 2012 open in July and the board meets the week after Thanksgiving. The Navy has accepted a few FMGs into primary care internships in the past couple of years, so it is possible to get one. It is very unlikely you would be accepted into Surgery or EM.

It's April.

Did you not match, and then not find a spot in the scramble?

I'm confused. Your grades/scores in the other thread you started are good. Why the late search? Does your application have other red flags?

It's April.

Did you not match, and then not find a spot in the scramble?

I'm confused. Your grades/scores in the other thread you started are good. Why the late search? Does your application have other red flags?

More info about myself:
Will graduate from ROSS in June 2011
Step 1: 228/95
Step 2 CK: 197/81
Step 2 CS: Pass (2nd try)
GPA: 3.2

About the Step 2 CS:
Long story short: I failed it on 1st try, but passed it on my 2nd try. When I found out that I failed the first time, I couldn't schedule the 2nd try until Jan 2011. Thus, my entire residency application got messed up completely, and I didn't get any interviews during the regular MATCH 2011 season. I re-took the Step 2 CS, with much better results.

Anyways, I was unable to match, and couldn't match anywhere during the Scramble in March 2011. Bummer. This is why I decided to look into Navy & Air Force medical residencies.

Thank you for your understanding.