Professions that do well in saturated cities?

equity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am still deciding what career to pursue and would like some advice.

One thing that is big to me is family. I was born and raised in SoCal and would like to work here after I graduate. However, I also want to do well financially.

I was wondering what careers do well in saturated areas (LA, SF, SD, NY, Austin, etc.)?

Here is the list that I came up with, let me know if you guys agree:
1.) Nursing
2.) PA
3.) MD/DO (what specialties though?)
4.) Computer Science
5.) Finance
6.) Accounting
7.) Engineering

Professions I shouldn't consider if I want to live in a saturated area:
1.) Pharmacy?
2.) Dentistry?

Keep in mind the debt that I have to incur in each profession. Assuming both MD and DDS will cost me 300k+, PharmD ~ 200k, and PA ~ 100k. I think the rest I can graduate almost debt free.

What professions should I be considering guys?

Members don't see this ad.

If you had to do a job you hated, day in and day out, for your entire adult life, and then retire and have to look back on the ruins of your wasted time on this earth devoting all of that energy to something you despise, would you still consider yourself fulfilled because at least you made decent money and got to live in southern California?

If the answer is "no", then you're better off choosing a career based on your enthusiasm and interest in the subject matter rather than its relative protection against oversaturation in competitive markets. Besides, really good people in every profession can find jobs in desirable locales. You're far more likely to be really good at something you enjoy.

If the answer is "yes", then I really need to spend some more time in southern California.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not like doctors in SoCal don't get paid...quite well...you just won't see the ridiculous salaries of rural Montana counterparts is all.

Members don't see this ad :)
What professions should I be considering guys?

One you can do every day.

I'm fielding contracts for my first attending physician job outside of residency. Emergency medicine. I say this to point out that no matter how good the money may be, if I didn't kind of like the specialty and instead did this only for the "lifestyle" aspect, I would be miserable.

Leave it to emergency medicine to remind me frequently that life is too short to make stupid decisions about your job. Yes, money matters. No question. Security matters. But you've gotta find the right blend of "I can do this on a daily basis" and "this will let me have the kind of life I want."

Physicians get jobs even in saturated cities, the issue at hand here is that its harder to make more money if you work in a saturated area.