Professor not responding to email, need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cuculici1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here is my situation. This past spring semester I took an Introduction to Computer Science course, and prior to the last 2 weeks of the semester I was doing well in the class. I studied adequately for the final and completed the programming assignment as specified in the requirements of the assignment. However, I received mediocre grades on these two components of the course, and ended up with a B+.

I was a bit surprised that this happened, considering that I walked out of the final believing that I had performed well and overall knew the material. As for the programming assignment, it worked as required. I emailed the professor asking if I could look at the graded copy of my final, but he would not let me look at it for the week following the end of the semester (for whatever reason), and needed to hold on to it for a year (I believe he recycles exam questions).

A week later, I moved to the west coast (went to college on the east coast), so there was no way for me to meet with him in person. I emailed him explaining the situation, and he said he would be willing to at least send me a point breakdown of the exam. This was fine with me, since at least it gives me an idea where I went wrong, or if there was an error in the grading. I also asked him where I lost points on the programming assignment. However, after over 2 weeks and a follow up email on my end I have still not received a response from him. Normally I could just show up to his office hours and meet with him in person about this issue, but considering the situation that is not option. What should I do next?

Members don't see this ad.

So here is my situation. This past spring semester I took an Introduction to Computer Science course, and prior to the last 2 weeks of the semester I was doing well in the class. I studied adequately for the final and completed the programming assignment as specified in the requirements of the assignment. However, I received mediocre grades on these two components of the course, and ended up with a B+.

I was a bit surprised that this happened, considering that I walked out of the final believing that I had performed well and overall knew the material. As for the programming assignment, it worked as required. I emailed the professor asking if I could look at the graded copy of my final, but he would not let me look at it for the week following the end of the semester (for whatever reason), and needed to hold on to it for a year (I believe he recycles exam questions).

A week later, I moved to the west coast (went to college on the east coast), so there was no way for me to meet with him in person. I emailed him explaining the situation, and he said he would be willing to at least send me a point breakdown of the exam. This was fine with me, since at least it gives me an idea where I went wrong, or if there was an error in the grading. I also asked him where I lost points on the programming assignment. However, after over 2 weeks and a follow up email on my end I have still not received a response from him. Normally I could just show up to his office hours and meet with him in person about this issue, but considering the situation that is not option. What should I do next?
Sounds like you can either take the B+, hope he responds to long-distance communication, or travel out there to meet him in person. Myself, I wouldn't go through more trouble than e-mails before choosing to let it go...it is a B+ after all...

Give him a phone call?

I also put "URGENT" in email subjects I need professors to respond to soon and that seems to work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you can either take the B+, hope he responds to long-distance communication, or travel out there to meet him in person. Myself, I wouldn't go through more trouble than e-mails before choosing to let it go...it is a B+ after all...

Yeah, I just want to see where I want wrong and/or if there was an error in the grading. I should also mention that I will be back on campus in March/April of 2013 for a pre-med committee letter interview, so I have the opportunity to speak with him then (if I still feel like it). Until then, do you think I am pretty much at the end of the line as far as emails go?

he might have seen the email and decided to reply later but forgot, he might have missed the email, the email may have gone into his spam folder, etc. virtuoso's advice is probably the best

Give him a phone call?

I also put "URGENT" in email subjects I need professors to respond to soon and that seems to work.

I thought about calling him, you think that would be appropriate for something like this?

I thought about calling him, you think that would be appropriate for something like this?

Sure, why not? Just don't be aggressive or too demanding about it. Say something like "Hi Professor X, I was wondering if you received my emails about XYZ. I haven't heard anything back so I thought the emails might have been lost in your inbox" or something to that effect.