Proficiency in general surgery procedures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

protonate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was wondering if a neurosurgeon could (i.e has the skill set) perform general surgical procedures like appendectomies or tumor removals if he/she went on a medical mission abroad?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
I was wondering if a neurosurgeon could (i.e has the skill set) perform general surgical procedures like appendectomies or tumor removals if he/she went on a medical mission abroad?

That's strictly the realm of orthopedics and optho.

In general, no. I did a couple appendectomies as an intern but would not feel comfortable doing one alone, and after intern year, neurosurgeons receive no general surgical training beyond the same basic skill set of suturing, tissue handling, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
In general, no. I did a couple appendectomies as an intern but would not feel comfortable doing one alone, and after intern year, neurosurgeons receive no general surgical training beyond the same basic skill set of suturing, tissue handling, etc.

A healthy dose of learned helplessness aside, this is a great example of the mindset of overspecialization. Of course a neurosurgeon could do a desert island appendectomy. He might not be "comfortable" but that's really more of a legal term.

Let us not forget, appendectomies in rural areas are occasionally handled by family practitioners.

Not too long ago I saw a neurosurgeon performing a whipple while hanging upside down and using chopsticks only :eek:

To answer the OP's question - doubtful, especially these days. Neurosurgery residencies these days are completely under control of the neurosurgery programs years 1-7. So nowadays most neurosurgery interns spend about 3-6 months doing "general surgery", Typically this involves rotations on anesthesia, ENT, SICU etc. Very little time if any is spent in true general surgery cases like appys, bowel stuff. In general neurosurgery interns are supposed to learn critical care, basics of suturing, what instruments are called. Even then, most of the time they're scutted out to handle consults.

All joking aside intern year is not really an operative surgical year. As stated, generally interns learn how to work up patients, prescribe medicines, perform administrative work required of a surgeon.

That being said, if I were stranded on a desert island or on a medical mission trip I would be comfortable doing an open appendectomy, cholecystectomy, or ventral/inguinal hernia repair. Most tumors handled by general surgeons require bowel resection/anastamosis which I would not be comfortable doing, but I would be able (not comfortable) to do the resection and ostomy.

All joking aside intern year is not really an operative surgical year. As stated, generally interns learn how to work up patients, prescribe medicines, perform administrative work required of a surgeon.

That being said, if I were stranded on a desert island or on a medical mission trip I would be comfortable doing an open appendectomy, cholecystectomy, or ventral/inguinal hernia repair. Most tumors handled by general surgeons require bowel resection/anastamosis which I would not be comfortable doing, but I would be able (not comfortable) to do the resection and ostomy.

Where the hell do you train? I haven't even seen an OPEN appy or galbag. Without that clamp/staple thing I would have no clue how to complete the surgery. I'm only Ortho but I don't think neuro gets much more gen surge exposure.

PS. On a desert island I would probably take my chances non-op

A healthy dose of learned helplessness aside, this is a great example of the mindset of overspecialization. Of course a neurosurgeon could do a desert island appendectomy. He might not be "comfortable" but that's really more of a legal term.

Let us not forget, appendectomies in rural areas are occasionally handled by family practitioners.
"Comfortable" is not a legal term, it's a safety term. I'm legally allowed to start patients on digoxin, but I remain uncomfortable doing so because I have little experience managing the drug or its potentially serious adverse effects.

I have not a damn clue how to safely mobilize the cecum, the proper technique for imbricating/ligating the appendix, how to safely close an accidental enterotomy, etc. Yes, on a desert island, faced with life or death, I could probably muddle my way through one. But that's not what the OP asked, he asked about a voluntary medical mission trip. I think it would be totally reckless of me to volunteer for a mission trip where I would be performing appendectomies and open choles (not to mention, if I was interested in doing those procedures, I would have been a general surgeon).

FPs who do appendectomies have been trained to do them by an experienced person, they didn't just decide to do an appy next week and watch youtube videos.

so neurosurgery and global health don't mix much, eh?

so neurosurgery and global health don't mix much, eh?

well, southeast asia for instance has a high prevalence of meningoencephaloceles and I know a neurosurgeon who travels twice a year to SEA and operates this.

How long has it been since neurosurgeons did Carotid endarterectomies? I know it used to be a CT/Neurosurg turf battle, then vascular showed up around 1990...CT guys gave up since it was CABG CABG CABG...Just curious how/why neurosurgeons gave up on it. Also when was it part of training (or was NSG a 5+2 type back in the day)?

Just curious the natural history, didn't want to make a new thread.

How long has it been since neurosurgeons did Carotid endarterectomies? I know it used to be a CT/Neurosurg turf battle, then vascular showed up around 1990...CT guys gave up since it was CABG CABG CABG...Just curious how/why neurosurgeons gave up on it. Also when was it part of training (or was NSG a 5+2 type back in the day)?

Just curious the natural history, didn't want to make a new thread.

They are still doing them.