Program directors please weigh in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medgirl1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I did really well on my in-training exam last year as an internal medicine PGY-1, 67% correct and 80th percentile rank for PGY1s. This year I got 60% correct and 25th percentile rank for PGY2s. Tell me true...how will I fare? (Had previously heard around 60% was good, now I'm hearing less than 35th percentile is bad).

1. Is this something that the promotions committee will consider (amongst other things of course) in promoting further in second year and to third year?
2. Is there a way that Internal Medicine Residency program directors denote this in their LORs to fellowships? I had heard that if someone does well on their intraining the LOR reads "excellent student" vs "very good" or "good". That sort of thing.

Members don't see this ad.

Why is this in the GI forum?

No one will hold you back a year just based on your ITE performance. It is mostly for you so that you know where you stand in preparing for the boards. You might get flagged as a higher-risk of failing the boards, but don't sweat it.

If your PD uses the ITE in his fellowship letters he is a tool.