Program Length and Intensity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajune

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering two DPT programs and they have very different schedules. Drexel completes approximately 118 credits in the first two years (its 65.5 credits in the first year, 53 in the second) and 10 credits in the first 20 weeks of the 3rd year.

On the other hand Temple spreads out 130 credits over 3 years so that you have more like 43 credits/year. The advantage to this is a less intense schedule - even Fridays off during your first and third years - but you are in school longer.

Is anyone else considering a program like Drexel where it really is more like two years in class and then a few months tacked on at the end to complete clinical experiences? Does this seem too intense?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, thought I'd bump this, since I'm asking this same question. Any thoughts out there? Is it better to graduate and be out on the job market sooner or is it better to do a longer program giving you more time to absorb the material? :confused:

Thanks in advance for any feedback. :)

The two programs I'm applying to are somewhat similar to your situation. I'm asking myself 2 questions:

1) What is their reasoning for structuring the program that way? ... Is it for the benefit of the students or the ease of scheduling faculty and clinical affiliations.

2) In which situation would I learn better? ... For instance - since the first semester is mostly anatomy, would I feel okay doing that at a faster pace?