Program losing accreditation. I need to reapply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Casandra

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I found myself in a difficult position and I would appreciate your advice.

I joined an IM fellowship program on July 1, 2017. Unfortunately last week I found out that the program might have its accreditation suspended as of July 1, 2018. I am in a unique position because I am in a research track (1 year of research + 3 years of clinical fellowship). I matched into that spot via NRMP. I am in my research year now, so what I need is a spot for the clinical part of the fellowship. I have read both on NRMP website and in multiple threads here on SDN that after I match I am obliged to work in the program (and not pursue any other one) only for 45 days. I would like to apply for the same fellowship via Eras and match again via NRMP. However I am not entirely sure if I am allowed to do that even after those 45 days lapse? I do not want to violate the previous match I participated in. Does anybody have any knowledge or experience in that field?

I would really appreciate your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys!

I joined an IM fellowship program on July 1, 2017. Unfortunately last week I found out that the program might have its accreditation suspended as of July 1, 2018. I am in a unique position because I am in a research track (1 year of research + 3 years of clinical fellowship). I matched into that spot via NRMP. I am in my research year now, so what I need is a spot for the clinical part of the fellowship. I have read both on NRMP website and in multiple threads here on SDN that after I match I am obliged to work in the program (and not pursue any other one) only for 45 days. I would like to apply for the same fellowship via Eras and match again via NRMP. However I am not entirely sure if I am allowed to do that even after those 45 days lapse? I do not want to violate the previous match I participated in. Does anybody have any knowledge or experience in that field?

have you gotten this information through a legitimate source, i.e. your program or just rumors? It is rare for a program to lose its accreditation without being on probation and if you only started this July, you would have been told that the program is on probation.

I would imagine that things would be similar to when a residency program closes, that the program will help with finding their fellows a spot somewhere else and that programs can take in fellows over their numbers.

Last edited:
Hi rokshana,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have gotten this information from a legitimate source - the program director. They are not sure if they can help all the fellows. They encouraged us to actively start seeking. If anybody knows whether applying for a fellowship in my situation would violate match, please let me know (either in this thread or via private message).

If you reapply in ERAS this year, you will not be violating the match, because you will have worked the required 45 days. The issue is when you try to change programs before those 45 days are up, not that you reapply during that time.

That's really unfortunate. As mentioned already on this thread, programs aren't closed willy-nilly. Your program should have had many warnings, chances for improvement, etc. They would usually be on probation first, and they are required to disclose that to you when you interview. It's also possible that your program has just decided to close it's fellowship -- they can do that for any reason, financial or otherwise. The last option I can think of is if the core program closes -- then all of the IM subs close also.

Anyway, having your program close gives you one added benefit -- you become an "orphan resident". This means that your funding attaches to you, not to the program. Any new program that takes you gets your funding in addition to any funding they already have. Hence, programs can find a way to add an extra fellow because it comes with free / new money.

As far as being in a research path, that's a problem. You'll be lucky if you can just pick up your research project you've started, and move it to a new program. If that works for you, then great. Otherwise, you're best just focusing on finding a clinical training spot, and worry about research later.

Another option to consider is to find a spot now. Start looking for open spots, if any. If you find one, you quit your current spot and just start. Perhaps there's a program out there where someone has dropped out, become ill, or otherwise been unable to start.

Since you mention 3 years of clinical training, you have to be in either Cards, GI, or Heme/Onc. All of these are competitive, so finding a spot won't be super easy. It's very late to be submitting an application now. So my advice would be to start looking for a spot open immediately. Find out from your PD when the closure is finalized, so you can petition the ACGME for orphan status -- then you can advertise yourself to programs with your funding and they can take you as an "extra". They will need RRC approval to increase by a position, but the ACGME is almost certain to approve spots for a problem like this.

Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you guys for all the replies. I really appreciate your input. I am sorry that I am not disclosing what exactly happened with the program and why it's losing its accreditation. I want to avoid identifying it for now and getting into a long discussion about this issue. I want to focus on finding a solution.

Hi guys!

Hello,

I started my intern year in a categorical program that had both MD and DO. The first week of residency the acgme withdrew accreditation from my program but my program is still aoa approved. I have called ACGME asking what they can do to help me and they said since they are not an accredit program anywhere they cant help me. My hospital is not helping me much either. I am lost and dont know what to do . Any help would be much appreciated

Hello,

I started my intern year in a categorical program that had both MD and DO. The first week of residency the acgme withdrew accreditation from my program but my program is still aoa approved. I have called ACGME asking what they can do to help me and they said since they are not an accredit program anywhere they cant help me. My hospital is not helping me much either. I am lost and dont know what to do . Any help would be much appreciated

Your dual accredited program lost ACGME accreditation. If you have a DO degree, then you can try to simply finish training in the program. This might be complicated because of the merger, in July 1, 2020 all programs will become ACGME accredited and the AOA will no longer do so. If you haven't graduate by then, your program will need to apply for permission to continue AOA accreditation until you graduate. You could then take the AOBIM boards, and ultimately hope that the ABIM allows those who passed the AOBIM boards to ultimately transition to ABIM (or that the AOBIM continues to offer board certification)

If you have an MD degree, you're stuck. You can't get AOBIM certification because having a DO degree is a requirement. You can't get ABIM certification because you won't have graduated from an ACGME accredited program. The good news is that you will be able to get a medical license.

Your only choices are to continue at your current program with a plan to have a medical license without board certification, or try to transfer to a different program that has ACGME certification. No one is going to help you transfer -- you need to do that. Your PD might help. You would need to start all over again, none of your current training will count for ABIM.

Hello,

You're in a bad spot, and honestly it's somewhat compounded because it sounds like you've known this is an issue since early July and you haven't done anything--you probably needed to talk with your PD the day after you found out to figure out what this means to you. You've missed the opportunity to apply for ERAS this year, though you could still try to SOAP.

I bring that up not to kick you while you're down, but to illustrate that you need to stop crossing your fingers and hope that everything is OK and actually talk directly with your PD to figure out what this means for you. I'd like to tell you that one of the scenarios outlined in aPD's response will work, but it's all conjecture and it all depends on your degree, your specialty, and what your PD has heard from the AOA and ACGME. Every day you don't rip the band-aid off and talk with your PD about this is another day where some opportunities become less viable for you.

Reactions: 1 users