programs not participating in NRMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zappeuse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the programs that according to FREIDA do not participate in NRMP will fill their positions exclusively with prematches? Does it mean that after the interview
1. either I get a prematch offer and if I accept it I have to withdraw from the match or
2. I do not get a prematch offer and I can forget the program because I will not be able to rank it?..:confused:
any input appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

So the programs that according to FREIDA do not participate in NRMP will fill their positions exclusively with prematches? Does it mean that after the interview
1. either I get a prematch offer and if I accept it I have to withdraw from the match or
2. I do not get a prematch offer and I can forget the program because I will not be able to rank it?..:confused:
any input appreciated!

Yes, that is what it means. It's not that complicated.

thanks, but I'm confused just because I heard they can opt for participating in the Match later (?) and I tried to clarify this with a program coordinator without success.

Also, does it mean that I should aim to interview early?

Remember that the rules changed this year, so it's confusing.

This year, programs must be all-in or all-out. Thus, programs not participating in the NRMP match will need to prematch all of their applicants, and thus cannot take US allo seniors. They will be able to prematch people up to the ROL date. After that, they can only prematch people who did not submit an LOR until after SOAP completes.

Yes, in general it's in your best interest to interview early. Prematches are given away in a first-come first-served basis, and it's possible that all the spots could be given away if you interview late. I doubt it will matter whether you interview the first week of Nov vs the last week of Nov, but might matter if you wait to interview until January.

Thank you for clarifying! How much time does an applicant have to respond to such an offer?

Last edited:
Thank you for clarifying! How much time does an applicant have to respond to such an offer?

However much time they tell you that you have. I wouldn't be surprised if the offer expires when you walk out the door from the interview, or by the end of business that day. I wouldn't expect to have more than a week to respond (I would put my money on having 24-72h to respond).

This is unfortunately a return to the bad old days before the Match existed. You would go to an interview and, if they offered you a spot, you'd have to take it or leave it, more or less on the spot. All the power is in the program's hand here since you won't have the chance to compare offers or consider what's best for you. But you will at least know that you have a spot.

So turns out my #1 program will be going out of the match (I'm not a US MD, US-IMG) and they have been sending out IV's out for past week or two and now their spots are full. I would think that since I did 16 weeks of rotations there with high honors with an attending who is on the IV panel would at least get me a interview, but I guess not.

Time to call in a favor? I feel like I'll be screwed regardless cause they don't have any more interview dates. How should I approach this? :(

IMO the program is very good, and Ive gotten well adjusted to the city/surroundings so I would hate to have to drop it.

So turns out my #1 program will be going out of the match (I'm not a US MD, US-IMG) and they have been sending out IV's out for past week or two and now their spots are full. I would think that since I did 16 weeks of rotations there with high honors with an attending who is on the IV panel would at least get me a interview, but I guess not.

Time to call in a favor? I feel like I'll be screwed regardless cause they don't have any more interview dates. How should I approach this? :(

IMO the program is very good, and Ive gotten well adjusted to the city/surroundings so I would hate to have to drop it.

You don't have anything to lose by calling/emailing your attending.

this prematch thing messes up iv scheduling totally

Are any of the major/top-100 residencies in the US all-out?

Question..can someone please tell me besides looking it up at an individual programs website or FRIEDA, how can we get a list of programs no longer participating in the match? I have searched NRMP with no luck. Please if you know a link can you please share!
Thanks!

Remember that the rules changed this year, so it's confusing.

This year, programs must be all-in or all-out. Thus, programs not participating in the NRMP match will need to prematch all of their applicants, and thus cannot take US allo seniors. They will be able to prematch people up to the ROL date. After that, they can only prematch people who did not submit an LOR until after SOAP completes.

Yes, in general it's in your best interest to interview early. Prematches are given away in a first-come first-served basis, and it's possible that all the spots could be given away if you interview late. I doubt it will matter whether you interview the first week of Nov vs the last week of Nov, but might matter if you wait to interview until January.

Question..can someone please tell me besides looking it up at an individual programs website or FRIEDA, how can we get a list of programs no longer participating in the match? I have searched NRMP with no luck. Please if you know a link can you please share!
Thanks!

Anyone have any information regarding this? Anything will be greatly appreciated.