Programs w/ Good Work Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jb2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rad Onc overall has good work hours but which residency programs within Rad Onc have the best work hours?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't interview there but I've heard that UCLA has good hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
every program has good hours. i assume the average work week is 50 hours +/- 5 hours. this does not include studying time at home, which is 1-3 hours a night, depending on how you learn.

its a bad question; your hours depend upon many things but if the general radonc hours are still too tiresome for you, bail from medicine now! there is no time clock when taking care of a patient. That is not preaching; that's reality. I should also mention that the amount of academic reading time is very VERY heavy in radonc, and a lot of non-clinic time will be spent with a nose in the books. Steph.

I agree that this is a bad question. You are in the wrong profession if you are so focused on "work hours" that you are worried about one program having 5 more hours of clinic per week than another. You will not be happy with your career if this is what you focus on. Choose a specialty because you like the day-to-day aspects of it (i.e. the type of patient interaction, inpatient vs. outpatient, the kinds of diseases, procedures, etc.) That said, having more time outside of work (e.g. minimal weekend or night call, predictable work hours, etc.) to spend with family, non-work interests, etc. is a valid reason to lean toward one group of specialties instead of another. But that's different than worrying about working 50 vs. 55 hours per week during your residency.

On every single prelim/transitional year, at some point, someone asked how many hours were worked weekly.

One the categorical rad-onc interviews, NOT ONCE did I here that question ... It's so limited to begin with. I can't believe that is even a thought!

Simul

SimulD said:
On every single prelim/transitional year, at some point, someone asked how many hours were worked weekly.

One the categorical rad-onc interviews, NOT ONCE did I here that question ... It's so limited to begin with. I can't believe that is even a thought!

Simul

Why not?? I've heard of some programs working until 8 or 9pm or even later and with all the reading required, it just doesn't seem like that type of environment would be conducive to learning.

You're right, man. I haven't been to too many programs. I guess it might matter. My bad.

S

jb2 said:
Why not?? I've heard of some programs working until 8 or 9pm or even later and with all the reading required, it just doesn't seem like that type of environment would be conducive to learning.

we work 60-65 hours a week when not on call. on call weeks, we approach 80 hours.

A well balanced program is different from "work hours". you may be in house for 65 hours a aweek but is education good? Is it scut? What do you see? Do you have off hours to read? The question of "how many hours at work" doesnt translate into "is it a good enviornment for learning".