projected 2.9 gpa after undrgrad.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikok

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello, i'm currently a sophomore at a private college in nyc. my first three years of college were horrendous. Due to family problems, i was constantly dropping out mid semester for three straight years, i was not mature enough to handle school given the circumstances, nor was i mentally fit enough to be able to handle the stress's brought from home.

I am back in school full time and plan to, like always, become a doctor. but my past three years are full for WU's, two F's, a couple B's, a couple C's, and one A, but mostly WU's. this semester has been going great, so far I'm pulling A's in four courses, but i am struggling with calculus because of my lack in readyness for this course (last pre-calc class was 2 years ago). If all go as planned and i DO receive A's in every course from now until i graduate in spring of 2016. My grades will be accumulated to a 2.92 GPA.

I calculated all WU's as attempted credits with the assumption of them counted as F's. Here's the question, what should i do after i graduate? i know that MD schools will not accept me at all, looking at my past three years, i wish i would have just dropped out rather than picking up classes and dropping, but w.e. it happened and time to move on! it's to early to tell about DO either because i do not had a MCAT score yet. What i did not do is take into account that DO school allow class retakes, so that 2.9 is without retakes, just one overall average.

Masters degree? Post-bac? what should i do? medicine has been my dream for a long time, i have shadowed already, volunteered EMS, and picking up summer research at my school, i know it's something i want, but my grades tell a different story... any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

hello, i'm currently a sophomore at a private college in nyc. my first three years of college were horrendous. Due to family problems, i was constantly dropping out mid semester for three straight years, i was not mature enough to handle school given the circumstances, nor was i mentally fit enough to be able to handle the stress's brought from home.

I am back in school full time and plan to, like always, become a doctor. but my past three years are full for WU's, two F's, a couple B's, a couple C's, and one A, but mostly WU's. this semester has been going great, so far I'm pulling A's in four courses, but i am struggling with calculus because of my lack in readyness for this course (last pre-calc class was 2 years ago). If all go as planned and i DO receive A's in every course from now until i graduate in spring of 2016. My grades will be accumulated to a 2.92 GPA.

I calculated all WU's as attempted credits with the assumption of them counted as F's. Here's the question, what should i do after i graduate? i know that MD schools will not accept me at all, looking at my past three years, i wish i would have just dropped out rather than picking up classes and dropping, but w.e. it happened and time to move on! it's to early to tell about DO either because i do not had a MCAT score yet. What i did not do is take into account that DO school allow class retakes, so that 2.9 is without retakes, just one overall average.

Masters degree? Post-bac? what should i do? medicine has been my dream for a long time, i have shadowed already, volunteered EMS, and picking up summer research at my school, i know it's something i want, but my grades tell a different story... any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Did you officially drop those cleasses, or did you just stop attending class? If the former, did you drop before the official withdrawal cut off date, or after? What does "WU" mean at your school? Are there other types of W designations, like a WF at your school? Does an F appear on your school's transcript for the withdrawn classes?

The easiest path is to simply retake any F/D/C science coursework and apply DO.

If you're committed to MD, you'll need a good MCAT score and ideally an SMP, or a post-bac to show AdComs you can handle medical school. This assumes you'll be aciing everything form now on. Key thing is to get your cGPAs above auto-cutoff levels (say, >3.0). Theere are MD schools that reward reinvention, so all is not lost.

Masters degree? Post-bac? what should i do? medicine has been my dream for a long time, i have shadowed already, volunteered EMS, and picking up summer research at my school, i know it's something i want, but my grades tell a different story... any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you.[/quote]

Members don't see this ad :)
ok so this expands through three schools. my first year was at at a CUNY, second at a private, third at back at a different CUNY but only as a Non-Degree student, and now I'm back to at a private.

W=Withdraw (before deadline)
WF= Withdraw Fail
IF= Incomplete Fail (counts as an F in my school)
UW= Unofficial Withdraw (after deadline)

so basically here is where i stand. my life was a mess i know... all throughout my first 3 years i was dealing with family issues, my mother developing cancer, my father being a gambler/drunk.. basically nothing motivated me to go to school, i just wanted to leave my house. it had nothing to do with my capabilities of receiving A's, merely poor judgment due to lack of maturity. And i am a Biology major, by the way.

Last edited:
1) I calculated all WU's as attempted credits with the assumption of them counted as F's.

2) Masters degree? Post-bac? what should i do?
1) If your school gave your an F on your transcript, then that's what the med school application service will do too, except in the case of AACOMAS, which will only count the most recent retake, provided the credit hours are the same or better, even if you retake at another school (course title needn't be identical).

2) Provided your AACOMAS GPAs are decent by the time you graduate and apply, you need not do either, so long as you've taken some original coursework, especially upper-level Bio and Biochem, and got a good grade the first time around. Schools vary in how they view masters level grades. If it came down to choosing one of the two, then take additional postbac classes, which are included in the overall undergrad GPA calculations when you apply.

Theoretically, if i receive A's from now until I graduate, using AACOMAS I will be left with a 3.5 GPA opposed to ~3.0 GPA for AMCAS.The idea is to overall raise my application for an MD school, although I have absolutely have no problem with entering a DO, getting into an MD program is my top choice. Now i can't foresee the future in dictating how many A's i can achieve in high level bio courses, but that is my overall goal.

** And i do want to be clear that these is NO problem attending a DO school.

thanks for the advice !

Last edited:
If you ace everything from now on, ace MCAT (think 36+) and have some killer ECs, then there are some MD schools that reward reinvention. And, of course, you'd be a lock for DO programs.

Theoretically, if i receive A's from now until I graduate, using AACOMAS I will be left with a 3.5 GPA opposed to ~3.0 GPA for AMCAS.The idea is to overall raise my application for an MD school, although I have absolutely have no problem with entering a DO, getting into an MD program is my top choice. Now i can't foresee the future in dictating how many A's i can achieve in high level bio courses, but that is my overall goal.

** And i do want to be clear that these is NO problem attending a DO school.

thanks for the advice !