Projectile Motion Range and Maximum Height

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maverick56

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
An object launched at 30 degree angle (landing at same elevation) would have a maximum height that is 7 times its range.
Do we need to just memorize or can you show me mathematically?

Members don't see this ad.

If the object had an initial launch speed of 10.0 m/s and was launched at 30 degrees to the horizontal,
Initial y velocity = 10sin(30) = 5 m/s
Initial x velocity = 10cos(30) = 8.66 m/s

Time it takes to get to the top of the flight: vfy = viy + at, where a = -9.81 m/s^2, viy = 5 m/s, and vfy = 0 m/s (Initial poin t = launch, Final point = top of path). You should find that t = 0.51 seconds.

The flight path is perfectly symmetrical, so the total time of flight is 0.51 seconds * 2 = 1.02 seconds.

Flight range is x velocity multiplied by time: Range = vx * t = 8.66 m/s * 1.02 s = 8.83 meters.

Max height can be calculated using 2ay = vfy^2 - viy^2, where a = -9.81 m/s^2, vfy = 0 m/s, and viy = 5 m/s (The initial point is the precise moment of launch and the final point is the top of the flight when vfy = 0 m/s). The calculated height is y = 1.27 meters.

So we found that range is 8.83 m and height is 1.27 m. 8.83/1.27 = 6.92 or so. If you didn't round, the answer becomes 7. This could be done using only variables as well, but having numbers to compare is nice.

You have those numbers reversed. The horizontal distance traveled (range) is approximately 7 times the max height. I think it is silly to memorize as long as you understand how it is mathematically derived.

For example, an object launched 30 degrees above the horizon at 10 m/s will have an initial velocity vector of x: 10*cos(30) and y: 10*sin(30) (note: you should memorize the values of cosine and sine for angles 0, 30, 45, 60, and 90; this will greatly simplify some problems).

First look at the y-component to determine the time of flight for the object. At the apex of the trajectory the velocity in the y-direction is zero and thus we can solve:

v = v_y0 + a*t = 10*sin(30) -10t -> t = sin(30) = 0.5 seconds

It takes 0.5 seconds for the projectile to reach its apex and the total flight time is double (1 second).

The max height achieved is:

y = y_0 + v_y0*t +0.5*a*t^2 = 0 + 10*sin(30)*0.5 - 0.5*10*(0.5^2) = 1.25 m

In the x-direction:

x = x_0 + v_x0*t = 0 + 10*cos(30)*1 = ~8.66 m

8.66/1.25 ~ 7

Members don't see this ad :)
This is totally off topic, but I've lurked MCAT forums for about 3 years now, and literally, every person I've seen with the OP's avatar has done extremely well on the MCAT. :p Hope the trend continues :)