Prokaryote ATP Production

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

famousbanker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does this occur in the cell wall and cytosol or in the cell membrane and the cytosol. I keep finding conflicting information online.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Glycolysis and Kreb cycle take place in Cytosol, while the ETC takes place in the cell membrane.
ATP Production happens in both cytosol and in cell membrane. Glycolysis and Kreb Cycle take place in cytosol which makes some ATP and NADH/FADH2. ETC makes majority of ATP when NADH/FADH2 passes down the ETC in cell membrane..

There is no Kreb cycle in P/K... Not sure the person above me read the question correctly. I would say membrane over cell wall.

Update: Destroyer says there is no Kreb cycle in P/K... This may be wrong... Anyone have input on this??

Last edited:
Destroyer is wrong!! Prokaryotes have Kreb's Cycle!! Think about how else would you get 38 ATP in prokaryotes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Glycolysis and Kreb cycle take place in Cytosol, while the ETC takes place in the cell membrane.
ATP Production happens in both cytosol and in cell membrane. Glycolysis and Kreb Cycle take place in cytosol which makes some ATP and NADH/FADH2. ETC makes majority of ATP when NADH/FADH2 passes down the ETC in cell membrane..

I agree.

Agreed. Glad this was posted because I seriously just read this question in destroyer and started thinking P/K do not use the Kreb cycle.