prometh/codeine fake phone in scripts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sosoo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so what's going on with ppl phoning in fake scripts for prometh/codeine? yesterday on weekends i can't verify with the MD's office. after i told him we don't have prometh/codeine, but amoxicillin is ready n he can get that. he walked out without getting anything. i knew its a fake phone in script b/c he wanted to pay cash. he never filled prescription with our chains. n we had emails from various stores saying increase in fake phone in scripts for prometh/codeine. n its confirmed after he walked out without getting the amoxicillin.

Members don't see this ad.

Untitled-25.jpg

Purple drank/sizzurp. Although I've heard manufacturers aren't making it purple anymore to lower the street value.

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL I had people calling in Rx for this syrup and when I asked "Is it a nonproductive cough or productive cough?", they either stayed silent or was like "hmm..hmm... it's for a cold and the patient needs it!" LOL that's when I know right away

You expect a MA to know if the pt's cough is productive? If you have concerns just call back using a verified phone number, easier than belittling some lowly assistant

We had this happen this past week now all prometh/codeine RXs have to be called back to verify at the number on file for the dr

You expect a MA to know if the pt's cough is productive? If you have concerns just call back using a verified phone number, easier than belittling some lowly assistant

Well, most of these fake scripts are called in on the weekends or Friday night by the person claiming to be Dr So & So, not by a MA, so I think that's a good question to ask (although I'm sure it won't take too long for the druggies to figure out the right answer to give.) Another suspicious point, the "dr", who is often located out of state will often give some non-believable excuse about the person being on vacation.....then 1 hour later will call back and ask that you transfer the script to another pharmacy, because the person has now travelled out of your area (I'm guessing they hope they transferee pharmacist will assume the transferor pharmacist has already vetted the RX.) The only legitimate RX for promethazine/codeine I've seen in the past several years, are from local OB/GYN's....so pretty much I'm suspicious of any RX for promethazine/codeine.

Corporate usually will send out a memo if there is a trend and that is how we have caught a fake