Pros and Cons of going into Podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted421268

What are the pros and cons of going into podiatry??? Also what specialty of podiatry has best lifestyle??? I hear surgical podiatrist have decent lifestyle??

Members don't see this ad.

I'm only a first year, and already I'm tired of relentless studying over things I may not ever use again, ever (cough *biochem* cough). A definite pro for me is seeing lower limb anatomy on my schedule next year, and having already gotten a small taste during an intro to podiatry course.

I suppose the pros for me going into it were, there isn't really a question as to what practice you'll go into (meaning you're competing for other podiatry students for the same residency spots, not trying to compete for different specialties and not knowing where you'll end up)

I have a wife and I'm trying to start a family, so this way provided a quick avenue into surgery and medicine, my ultimate goal.

As for cons, the pay ceiling is going to be lower than a lot of MD specialties, but i was more than willing to trade off an exorbitant salary and no time to spend the money, not to mention several more years of learning before I could practice, for a still excellent income (150k puts you smack dab above around 93% of the rest of income earners) with a faster route to get there.

There seems to also be a relentless inferiority complex running around this forum regarding "who is a real doctor", but I can't comment on that having not been in the field around other physicians much. It seems to be mostly a personal issue.

I suppose having a foot fetish would also make the decision easier. Don't mention that in interviews, though.

BD, I didn't know you were married!

For me, a huge pro is knowing you'll be a podiatrist when it's all done. In medical school, you really have no idea what you will be until you match. In podiatry, I can work towards a goal that is tangible. If i were to go to med school I know I would end up getting lazy/discouraged and end up in FM or Psych.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know right? Flyhi and I are just DEVESTATED...

Now, wait a minute...I was devastated and despondent that YOU, Super-Duper-Feisty, had a fake Swedish girlfriend. :scared:

To the OP, it has been said, but I'll reiterate a bit. You know what you are getting yourself into. There are boards to pass, but we don't have to worry about scores that will determine our ultimate destination within the medical profession. If you are into surgery, well...here it is. There are many sub-specialties within podiatry that can be tapped into as well. The lifestyle is what you make of it. I'm sure you can find a position where you work your fingers to the bone and make a very decent wage, and then there are practices that are more conducive to the house, picket fence and 2.5 kids scenario. I've said it before, but I think podiatry is a little hidden gem. :love:

Now, wait a minute...I was devastated and despondent that YOU, Super-Duper-Feisty, had a fake Swedish girlfriend. :scared:

To the OP, it has been said, but I'll reiterate a bit. You know what you are getting yourself into. There are boards to pass, but we don't have to worry about scores that will determine our ultimate destination within the medical profession. If you are into surgery, well...here it is. There are many sub-specialties within podiatry that can be tapped into as well. The lifestyle is what you make of it. I'm sure you can find a position where you work your fingers to the bone and make a very decent wage, and then there are practices that are more conducive to the house, picket fence and 2.5 kids scenario. I've said it before, but I think podiatry is a little hidden gem. :love:
Agreed. Its just not appealing because you have to deal with feet.
By the way, 2.5 kids? I believe children have to be expressed in whole number integers:)

Doesn't have to be conjoined twins. Regular twins too. In the words of Barney Stinson, "They are a human being."

I been tempted to apply to Pod School.

I am living in Texas, but have a lot of family in the Bay Area (grew up there). I have my eye on Samuel Merritt. Does anyone have any insight to that school in Oakland? I have had my sites on MD/DO, and have a good gpa > 3.6. I like the fact that you specialize from the get go, and its very hands on. More I research the Pod profession, more it sparks my interest.

I don't understand some of the people with complex who post in this sub-forum. Pod seems like a great career. You get do surgery, and other procedures. Let MD/DO's do there thing, it doesn't take away from the fact that your a doctor that specializes on the F/A - plus pods are compensated very fair.

I tend to agree with you on some people with a "complex" on here that thinks pods need to do more than F/A (with the exception of when the narrowness of scope disables the pod from giving proper care), but that will open a huge can of worms that, believe me, you don't wanna open.

Samuel Merrit has like no one on SDN ever for some reason, so you probably won't find anything out about it. Good luck though!

Yeah, I don't really understand it either. I don't think less about my mechanic because he's not an MD, or because he doesn't work on Porches. The guy is an unbelievable craftsman that produces immaculate work, and taught me everything I know about cars.

I don't want to be an MD (not that I'm against it, I just specifically wanted DPM for what it offered and the timeframe), and I don't expect to be considered an MD. At the same time, I want to be the top of my field, and I want to be recognized as a good physician in my own field.

If someone tells me they have a gastric ulcer, maybe in my head I'll think "hey, maybe you've got some h. pylori", but I respect the other fields enough to understand that while I may be better than them at specific issues in the lower limb, I'm not going to be an internist or know as much as they will about their field.

But yeah....at this point I'm really trying to avoid studying for physio...

The pros and cons of podiatry are dependent upon what type of person you are. I personally think podiatry is great because it incorporates a lot of different systems in the body. It is also great to be a part of something that can truly help people in every step of their life. I have heard the money is good, but I have no experience in this aspect. This list could get huge so I will stop there.

The cons typically revolve around working with feet and not being an MD. The feet thing is really not a big deal, the body really isn't that clean no matter what part you specialize in. If you can't handle not being an MD, then go to school to be an MD.

As far as specializing and lifestyle go maybe ask the docs on the the resident and attending forum.

Those are my opinions right now.

Just a quick last thought, podiatry is absolutely amazing. I have had the opportunity to learn a lot about medicine and health care over the last few years. I don't regret my choice to be a pod. I love talking to people about their feet. Once you get someone talking about their feet, you realize how important what we do is. I have met so many patients that can't go about their daily life normally because of pain. A few weeks ago I was at a homeless clinic, I trimmed calluses and made a buttress pad for a man, it only took a few minutes, but he was so amped to walk around with it. I have seen this type of reaction from so many patients, I am excited to try and scratch out a living doing this. All jobs have their pros and cons, but really you make the pros and cons as big as you want based on your attitude.