Pros and Cons of LECOM campuses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KellySmith24

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I know that LECOM has several campuses for DO programs:

* Erie, PA
* Bradenton, FL
* Seton Hill in Greensburg, PA
* Elmira, NY (new this year)

What are the Pros and Cons of each one? Also, when you apply, do you apply to each campus separately or you get accepted (if) and then pick the campus?

Please, share your thoughts/experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The Erie/Elmira/Seton Hill campuses are a different application from the Bradenton campus on AACOMAS. If you apply for the Erie campuses, you then get selected for an interview at just one of the Erie sub-campuses. You interview with that one campus, then you rank the three campuses online, then you get accepted at just one of those campuses. You potentially could get accepted for a campus you didn't interview at and that you didn't rank as first. Bradenton is it's own thing and is separate from Erie. If this sounds like it doesn't make sense, it's because it doesn't.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for your detailed reply! That is good to know.
I may be applying through LECOM EAP. I wonder if they have the same set up (two separate applications, 3+1) for HS students as well?

Also, what is the main difference between campuses - besides location and COL (which is obviously higher in FL)?

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly know nothing about the EAP so can't really answer anything on that.

I will say, however, that I think the greatest differences between all the campuses besides location is the different learning pathways which are offered. LECOM in general offers LDP (lecture discussion pathway), PBL (problem based learning), and DSP (directed study pathway). I interviewed at Elmira and Bradenton which both only utilize the PBL pathway, however I think Erie uses all three and I'm honestly not sure about Seton Hill. They have a lot of info on these different pathways on their website.

As you can imagine, it's important to have a good grasp on how you learn most effectively because you probably don't want to commit to a medical school that only utilizes teaching methods that don't work for you.

Thank you! Very helpful!
Yeah, it is important to understand what learning style works best for you. Would you mind sharing a link where different learning styles and associated locations are described? I would definitely like to learn more about it.

This is just the main page for the school of osteopathic medicine. It provides pretty good descriptions of the pathways, but I can't seem to find what locations they're offered at. I'm sure if you search around you can find it eventually

Mel0099, that was super helpful!
Looks like Greensburg, Bradenton and Elmira campuses enroll students in PBL only. Erie location offers all learning styles. So, if the student prefers traditional LDP, then Erie is the only location offering it...

Just curious - what learning path makes the top choice for the most applicants? What does the majority prefer? LDP?

Last edited:
Mel0099, also do you know if LECOM has in-state applicant preference?

Mel0099, also do you know if LECOM has in-state applicant preference?
I think, statistically, they have a greater post-interview acceptance percentage for in-state applicants, but in my interviews they said they don't have an IS preference.

Interesting... Thank you for your reply!
Do you think LDP at Erie is more competitive than other locations/learning styles?

Interesting... Thank you for your reply!
Do you think LDP at Erie is more competitive than other locations/learning styles?
I'm currently in the MMS program at LECOM so I can answer this. Usually, LDP is the least competitive due to the large number of spots. DSP and PBL are more competitive at Erie because there are limited number of spots.

Elmira is a brand new campus. I would not consider it unless it was the only option. It takes several years for a new campus to get their feet under them with faculty, curriculum, and rotations. Lecom in general is cheap, has good board scores and students match well. Downside has a dress code and no food or water in auditoriums. It's only 2 yrs of preclinical so it wouldn't be a big deal to me,(Catholic school grad), but some really whine about it. The cheap tuition would really appeal to me. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 1 user
Peace390, good to know! Thank you.
Angus Avagadro, thank you for your input!

Not a current student; rather awaiting my admission decision. But I live near the SH campus (ten mins) and have worked as a medic in the area for 15 years.

If you have any questions about the Seton Hill area (Greensburg/North Huntingdon/Monroeville), feel free to ask.

Dxu, thank you very much!
Good luck with your admission!

Additional question on this topic if anybody is still watching this thread. Understood that there are multiple LECOM campuses. According to an earlier poster, you could theoretically end up getting accepted for a campus that you did not interview for (example: interview for Seton Hill and rank it first but actually get accepted for Erie or Elmira). But what if you have your heart set on Seton Hill and would want that as the only location for adcom consideration? Is their a way to explicitly exclude a campus for consideration during the ranking? Or do you get what you get and you had better just deal with it? I get that this approach of being "picky" regarding the campus location could significantly reduce likelihood of an actual acceptance, but I have some personal family reasons in which some campuses would not be practical for me to attend. I would want to avoid a scenario of getting an acceptance for a campus that will not work for me and then end up with the fatal red flag of turning down an acceptance if I should need to re-apply in a future cycle. I know the general philosophy is that you should take whatever you can get but that does not really work in all situations in the real world that even us pre-med applicants are forced to live in.