Prospective Student, non-traditional background

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LucyLucille

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to apply to the local school's DDS program Fall 2014 semester and I have a few questions about how I can improve my application. I have not taken the DAT, but my undergrad GPA is 3.87 and my science GPA is 3.81 for the prerequisite science courses. My chemistry GPA is 4.0 so far, which I am really proud of. However, I still need to take the Physics sequence and Organic Chemistry II.

I intend to complete the prerequisites during the 2012-2013 school year at a local university, not the one where I graduated from. I also plan to begin shadowing during this time, and I will take the DAT next summer. My letters of recommendation will have to come from the professors who I take Physics/ O. Chem with, since my other science courses were completed some time ago (6-7 years).

I feel that after all of this is completed, I will meet the minimum requirements for the program. One big issue for this particular school is that the school's catalog explicitly says "correspondence courses will not be considered in calculating QPA or total semester hours." My final two years of undergraduate work were completed through a distance program with a well-respected state university. I have a BS in Natural Resources. It was an excellent program, and many of the courses had proctored exams to prevent dishonesty. I am concerned that the Dentistry school will not consider my GPA from any of these courses since they were offered from a distance, and that even my degree may be questioned. That said, I have taken more than 90 credits (but less than a full degree) with a 3.7+ GPA through courses in-person, so I will still be eligible to apply, just not too stellar if they disregard the last two years of my education.

None of my science prerequisites were taken by correspondence. All of those courses and the labs were in-person (leading to the 3.81 science GPA). Although, I did complete my first chemistry sequence at a community college during one summer.

Ultimately, my undergraduate degree was earned through a non-traditional combination of correspondence work, community college work (during summers, when summer courses were not offered by my primary institution) and two universities that I attended in-person. While I value my experience, I know that it may raise a lot of questions and I'd like to do what I can to have the strongest academic application possible.

What I am considering is either:

a) Completing the prerequisites and just applying, in hopes that just meeting the minimum requirements for GPA and credits will be enough.

b) Completing the prerequisites and additional science courses to tack on another year of full-time work in science (and improve my chances of getting a good letter of recommendation, since there will be more profs to choose from.) This is a more expensive option.

c) Completing the prereqs then enrolling in a master's program/ or predental post-bacc type program so that I can get more intentional pre-professional training, and the likelihood that I will have a committee letter rather than simply professor letters. As a post-bacc student this is the most expensive option, but it would only set me back another year at most and I think it would definitely increase my chances.

What do you all think? Option C looks really appealing to me, as far as building my credibility, but it might be overkill and I don't want to burn myself out before even getting into dental school. Do you think that is warranted, given my circumstances?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First of all, you dont need a master with 3.7, 3.8 GPA. You GPA is beautiful. You are way over the minimum GPA.
Second, if you can finish all your pre-reps before you matriculate, you are good to go. You said that you still need Physic and Orgo II --> You can def apply this cycle. Dont wait for another year.

About the LOR: dont worry about it too much. If you have letters from 2 science, 1 non-science, 1 dentist. You are good to go. Make sure you volunteer + shadow.

Take your DAT (you need around 19, 20 which is very doable for you) --> Apply (to ~10, NOT just your local dental school) --> Finish physic and orgo II.

I would do a mix of option B and C. Unofficial post-bacc can get you in, just as well as an official program can (though the official program may give you a guaranteed spot if you meet requirements).

I had a horrid GPA of 2.79 in engineering, started an unofficial post-bacc in biology Summer 2009, applied Spring of 2010, interviewed that Fall, wait-listed, and accepted Spring 2011, and started at dental school Fall 2011.

Now, I did end up having to take 60+ hours and getting A's in all them to turn my GPA into a stellar 3.15 (your GPA doesnt move very quickly after 150+ hours), lots of volunteering and lots of shadowing to do it.

But, if you want it bad enough, prove it to them. After all, that is what admissions is all about.

The biggest thing, is that you kind of have to have a plan if you dont get in. Dont rely on getting in, find out you didnt, and be left looking around for something to do. That wont look so hot.

Also, if you get an interview, keep volunteering and shadowing. I was asked to 'update' my application when I was asked if i wanted to be placed on the waitlist. I was able to add a ton more volunteering, shadowing, and tutoring hours. I think that is what pushed me to to top and eventually what allowed me to be called off the wait list.

That and rock the DAT and produce an epic personal statement.

Thanks for your responses and encouragement!
Over the past few days, I've spent a lot of time researching admissions requirements for about 10 different schools. I'm not so concerned anymore, since it seems like just getting my pre-reqs completed and perhaps tacking on a few extra biology/chemistry classes (since the cost of tuition doesn't increase after 12 hours, any additional hours are essentially "free" besides the time expense, of course) would put me in a good position for just about any of the schools I am looking at.

For now I am planning to take Physics & Lab, O Chem II and lab, Biochemistry and Cell Biology the first semester (fall) and the Physics II and Lab, and possibly a few more sciences in the Spring. I need to take enough courses to get at least 2 science professors LORs, and it would be nice to be able to choose which profs I ask so the more courses, the more opportunities I suppose.

I am also going to work as if I am applying for Fall 2013, and try to get all of my application materials pulled together by August. If it doesn't work out, I can hold out another year. I am currently in a decent (part-time) career that I enjoy, so I don't feel a lot of pressure to go to school ASAP, but I am still interested in the career switch. So my backup plan would be to continue to enhance that work as well, and the extra science courses may certainly help there.